Honored Contributor

oh man! have to go through the wardrobe..............

[ Edited ]

i'll do that tomorrow morning.   i really want to learn to mix and match to extend what i do keep.  what are the classic items you consider must haves?  This isn't about fashion, it's about outfit choices.  how many calendar days could you go with a new outfit each day, before you empty out the closet.

i'll find that out for myself tomorrow.  is there some sort of a guideline to assist in helping to decide what is a good idea?  i think i'm over.   need to shave it down.

Honored Contributor

Re: oh man! have to go through the wardrobe..............

@qualitygal  Have your basic solid color pants -- black, dark gray, dark brown, navy.  Solid tees and a few blouses.  Then you can add a few patterned tees or blouses.  If you work, then you may want to add a few skirts.  That is basically all you need.  Oh, I forgot sweaters.  Keep your favorites.  Hopefully, this helps a little.  Cat HappyHeart

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1,  should mention,  i'm retired, so what is a reasonable amount of outfits?  I have no idea anymore.  I have a few outfits for church/good. mostly tops and pants.  what is reasonable to own.  trying to downsize, don't want to buy more clothes, what's reasonable to own?

Honored Contributor

I am trying to find the answer to that question too.

I have 2 closets packed with clothes. Plus, garment bags and Rubbermaid tubs of cloths in the attic. Many still have tags. I no longer work. And pretty much live in casual clothes.

I keep saying I have to purge. But seem to find something else to do instead.

Honored Contributor

Im retired and I found an easy solution for me.

I have jeans, black, dark and light, different styles, a couple pair of leggings.  For the basics I have tanks tops in lots of colors.  I buy whatever tops I like, blouses, tunics, etc in any design and colors because they will go with jeans.  I have basic colors of boots, booties, and shoes.  I have some cardigan sweaters.  I do have about 4 maxi skirts but I rarily wear them.

I can put on a pair of jeans, any shirt and shoes and Im done.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@drizzellla, just started reading and watching utube about minimalization.  it's really good since once retired, it's a new ballgame.  there was the organization.  but then it got to be having to find new places for this stuff, i just no longer need.  clear spaces have a calming effect on me.  but the clothes in the closet is still something i want to slim down.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@drizzellla, just started reading and watching utube about minimalization.  it's really good since once retired, it's a new ballgame.  there was the organization.  but then it got to be having to find new places for this stuff, i just no longer need.  clear spaces have a calming effect on me.  but the clothes in the closet is still something i want to slim down.

@qualitygal  I recently added all my “house outfits” to the give away bag. I had a stack of wire baskets that had old black knit pants (6 pr. long & 6 pr. Capri length), ratty looking tees (long & short sleeve), shleppy sweatshirts, tops, etc. I always felt sloppy around the house even though no one was seeing me...Not necessary, bad for my self-esteem. I now wear my jeans and reg. tops from my closet or sweaters. Yes, saved a few things for gardening, etc. 

I’m 70. What am I saving the better jeans/sweaters for? Wear and enjoy. That freed up a lot of space.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus,  thanks,that's good!

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@Katcat1,  should mention,  i'm retired, so what is a reasonable amount of outfits?  I have no idea anymore.  I have a few outfits for church/good. mostly tops and pants.  what is reasonable to own.  trying to downsize, don't want to buy more clothes, what's reasonable to own?

I don't think there are rules as to what is reasonable,

but a few years ago I did the following

for things like souvenir tees and pants we wear at home the flannel or pull on kind I decided that 10- 14 is enough for tops and bottoms, each season.

go thru and get rid of jeans/pants that don't fit or look good, 

same for tops

if it's out of style even though it was expensive/classic etc and you may never wear it again get rid of it and give someone else a chance to enjoy it.  no sense in having stuff take up space in your house 

Then think about what you might need, 

for years I made the error of buying a black dress when it was a good buy,  never wore them,  not doing that any more will buy what I need when I need, 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I am trying to find the answer to that question too.

I have 2 closets packed with clothes. Plus, garment bags and Rubbermaid tubs of cloths in the attic. Many still have tags. I no longer work. And pretty much live in casual clothes.

I keep saying I have to purge. But seem to find something else to do instead.

l love clearing out