Honored Contributor

Re: need some advice as to how to handle

@shortbreadlover Your plan sounds great.  You have an amazing resource here with all of the exceptional posters. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

the manager is also new and they are just getting a feel for the job.

i have been sitting back and watching him interact with the others .  i know he wants to be a manager and that is hisgoal./

@shortbreadlover: One key issue caught my interest. You mentioned the manager is also new to the job and still getting used to the job. Perhaps, he doesn't know what everyone's job responsibilties are? Sometimes, just because someone is named the boss, it doesn't necessarily mean they have a full understanding of the position. If that's the case, then I think it's likely he hasn't explained the job duties to the new guy. It's really up to the boss to make sure every employee is clear about what's expected of them. Otherwise, frustration and resentment will continue to build. 

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover @I agree with others who have said tell him you have things under control and if you need help you will definitely ask.Maybe he thinks of you as a mentor and wants to participate.I would talk to him and try to figure out his strategy.My son always assists and includes others in his office environment and it seems to get him many accolades from management as team player.He says he never minds making others look good and honestly I think it makes him look good.

Trusted Contributor

you have all given me some great ideas.  this guy is fairly young and i knowthat he wants to climb the ladder.

i have not said a word about him to anyone else here.  that is just not a good way to go. but comments have been made to me.

the new manager is still gettimngher job down.  i do nolt know if she was demoted from admin or not but she is learning the ropes of this job.

so i am going to use all of your ideas.  i plan to treat him with respect and professionalism  when dealing with him

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

you have all given me some great ideas.  this guy is fairly young and i knowthat he wants to climb the ladder.

i have not said a word about him to anyone else here.  that is just not a good way to go. but comments have been made to me.

the new manager is still gettimngher job down.  i do nolt know if she was demoted from admin or not but she is learning the ropes of this job.

so i am going to use all of your ideas.  i plan to treat him with respect and professionalism  when dealing with him

That's the way to go.  Keep it light and friendly and make sure it's a private conversation.  But get your point across.

Honored Contributor

@shortbreadlover ................I think your ideas are a way to handle it perfectly.  If he is thick headed and does not get the hint then speak to him privately stating that while you appreciate is offers to help,  you are capable of handling patrons yourself and you do not appreciate his interference.

Good Luck.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

i know that i do not go out of way to talk with him or encourage him in any way shape or form

Perhaps if you took the time to get to know more about your co-workers it would give you some insight to his behavior.  Or at the very least an opportunity to talk to him as an adult about what you are feeling.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

i have been trying that too.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@shortbreadlover wrote:

i know that i do not go out of way to talk with him or encourage him in any way shape or form

Perhaps if you took the time to get to know more about your co-workers it would give you some insight to his behavior.  Or at the very least an opportunity to talk to him as an adult about what you are feeling.

JMO but I wouldn't do that, it brings it down to a more personal level and you don't want "feelings" you want a professional response.

Again, JMHO

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't do that in front of a patron/client.   I'd head him off at the pass and talk to him before and lay out your expectations.  Tell him, 'this is how we do it here'.   

Good luck.