Trusted Contributor

need some advice as to how to handle

a co worker.  he has been here just a little over two months and he wants and tries to take over .  he claims credit for work that others have done.

my problem with him is that when i am with a patron, he will jump in and start helping  when i am    capable of  handling the patron.  this makes me feel dumb and who knows   what the patron thinks

the ext time he does so, i am going to turn to him and sayt hank you for your help, but i am good here.  thenext time he does after that, i will tell him thank you for your offer to help,but i will ask you  if i require your help.

i am not the only one who feels this way.  other staff  memebers have expressed the same concern .

and he butters up the manager to no end.he thinks that because he has a masters degree that he is a gift to this place. well, i have less      then 10 hours      to go       for a master's degree and way more experience then he has.

any real suggestions on this?  i am tryinghard not to lose my temper with him

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: need some advice as to how to handle

How do the managers feel about him? I think that would determine what you do next.

Trusted Contributor

the manager is also new and they are just getting a feel for the job.

i have been sitting back and watching him interact with the others .  i know he wants to be a manager and that is hisgoal./

Trusted Contributor

i know that i do not go out of way to talk with him or encourage him in any way shape or form

Honored Contributor

"Oh Dave, thanks but I've got this and I know you are so busy with things you need to do!  We're fine!"  Turns back on him and starts to chat with the client. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hi shortbread. This cohort sounds like a lot of work. Most likely, he's done this before at other jobs. We do have to teach people how to treat us. 

Your controlled response sounds good. Keep your cool, especially if he's schmoozing up to the boss. Keep a log of his annoying activities in case the boss asks you. But don't volunteer the list. Just sit on it for a while. Otherwise -- my 'go to' favorite on the job has been BE SILENT. BE SAFE. Don't triangulate and talk bad about new cohort to other employers. Just sit tight and give him confident, controlled responses and keep that log. Hopefully he'll take the hint and behave respectfully. One can hope.

Yes, it's annoying, but best guess -- this behavior will (and has in the past) catch up with him.

The end is near on that Master's Degree. Congratulations. It's not easy to earn while working.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Super Contributor

This is unfortunately a common problem and there is a lot written on how to deal with such issues.   The type of workplace will dictate how to be most effective, ie. size, nature of the wrok in terms of "evidence", do you have an HR dept., etc.   This is a start:  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/melodywilding/2016/11/07/what-to-do-when-a-co-worker-steals-credit-for-...

If interested in seeing what else is suggested just google.  You will get a pletheora of articles!

good luck!

Respected Contributor

@shortbreadlover   I am retired now but encountered a similar situation in my office over the course of a 35 year career at one place.

My advice is to tread carefully. Do you know if he had a relationship with someone in management before he got the job?  In my situation it turned out that two "new hires" knew the boss before they were hired--in other words they had an "in" with him.  I was so glad I didn't lose my temper and just always thanked them for the assistance proffered and even shared some "tricks of the trade" so to speak.

Maybe he's just a really "eager beaver" or is just nervous about keeping the job.

I would just go about your job as usual and not let it bother you.  You might say "thank you for the offer to help, but I need to concentrate on the task at hand.  I'll be glad to work with you later one on one when there is no patron to wait on and show you some of the little things I do to make life easier with our routines." 

My biggest caution to you is to try to hide the resentent or irritation you are feeling and definitely don't lose your temper, as you already know, I'm sure, that that is never a good move in the workplace.  Take a brief break to gather your thoughts when he hovers.  

As the British say--"Keep calm and carry on!"

And, it's possible his perceived attitude will settle down and you will each learn one thing from the other for the better. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shortbreadlover , I am with @jeanlake on this one.  I would keep a record of incidents (without being too picky) and I would hold my powder for now.  By all means, be measured in your treatment of this person and do not get emotional with him or about him.  

Claim your authority when you feel the need and look him right in the eye when you do it.

There may be a bond between this new person and your supervisor if they arrived at the same time, even if the bond doesn’t become lasting.

What I don’t have a feel for is what kind of experience the new hire has.  Is he straight out of school or does he have management experience?  Each situation requires a different response.

The time will present itself for you to make your views known about his management style.  I would be pondering a manner to give your appraisal in an objective way that delivers the message that he is not a good team player and I would have one or two of your best examples to support that opinion.

Congratulations on nearing completion of your master’s degree.  I did one as well and worked part time at the same time.  It is a challenge.  Your family must be every proud.  LM

PS, @aroc3435 , agreed!

Esteemed Contributor

I would be firm...thank him for his help....tell him you have things handled ....and hope that he takes the hint.....if he repeats the situation...i would AGAIN be firm...thank him and tell him you are good..............if he keeps it up...i would mention it to management...