Respected Contributor

Re: moving to ponte vedra fl area

Wow after what I've read here about Florida, this state would be the last place on earth I'd want to retire too.  Pretty scarey. 

Honored Contributor

I know several people in their early sixty's that love it, Florida is a big state and maybe he is in a not so desirable area.

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

Wow after what I've read here about Florida, this state would be the last place on earth I'd want to retire too.  Pretty scarey. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC off topic controversial statement.

Honored Contributor

The story here actually sounds like something that happened

In the lae 1960 and early 1970's lets of families from all over NY moved to Co-op City, we knew a couple that moved from the Sador Lane houses in Yonkers. They hated Co-op City from the second the moving truck left. With in 6 weeks they moved abck to Sadore Lane, same building over floor above where they lived.

My point is that not everbody like where they move to and some leave quickly 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

When we moved to Florida in 2010 we had 2 cars and a truck and a camper to register - at the closing on our house they gave us the information we needed to know about changing our residence to Sarasota County, we took all the documets they asked for - drivers license, birth certificate, since I was widowed then remarried I had to take first & second marriage certificates and first hubby's death certificate.We also took our passports as ID to the county offices -we went right through everything - registered to vote - registered our vehicles - applied for homestead status - got Fl drivers licenses all in one place in about 30 min for both of us.It's a simple matter of following the directions exactly as they are written.

As for the pain med issue - I have found that when a patient has legitimate need, and (once again) follows the rules and doesn't try to pull any funny stuff - there is no problem getting your meds as ordered. Any time someone starts to whine about not being able to get their narcotic pain meds if you interrogate them further , they are NOT following the rules correctly. The fault is not on the doctors or the pharmacists but on the patients.And, always the huge exaggeration for drama !

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Merciful One

My daughters mother and father in law moved to Ponte Vedra last year from New Jersey. They love it and have found wonderful restaurants and entertainment in St. Augustine. It's not what they have been used to up North, but they are adjusting and they travel a lot.  Also, they live in a gated, secure area.  

I will suggest that if you have a facebook page, there is a group that is specifically for people moving or planning a move to Florida.  It covers all areas of Florida and everything from a Vet, to a hairdresser.  It's a really informative and interesting group, and, best of all, you get good advice.  The group is called "Taking the Florida Plunge Group".   It's a wealth of information for newbies and I will admit there are as many cons as there are pros.   Especially with the car registrations.  

Good luck.  . 

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@pieman

don't know if you are a transplant but I am & frankly, if my spouse felt the same I'd pack this house up w/in 5 minutes & gone!!!

I can't adjust I'm so much younger than the people in the "gated community" I live -- it drives me crazy at 5 pm it's deserted.  And we are so far away from everything - except a Publix, Walgreens & Banks!!!

All the things you point out esp. DMV getting car transferred & license was a total nightmare (& this was 7 years ago before all the additional stuff).  I went 9 times to bring more & more documents and finally issued a FL license (although I was a NJ registered driver since I was 17!🤔)

And drs. - if you have great insurance I think they find things wrong with you!  I'm happy I found a excellent primary and he just does what I ask or need! Yet, my spouse had to go to "pain mgt." dr. -- this quack found more things wrong with him everytime he went!  Finally, I said enough...he's using you as his ca$h cow😮

Oh I know what you're going thru with regards to doctors & pharmacies! Yes, it's a huge problem here & those who need those meds are penalized for the actions of "pill mill drs".  It's ridiculous what one needs to produce as documentation to buy a bottle of Sudafed!!!! Let alone a narcotic!!!

I didn't do my homework for sure - weather beautiful but all the things you state I could have written!!!  It certainly is not the paradise I imagined-

I heard this the other day:  Fl is the state of the old "newlyweds" & nearly dead!"

Good luck with your move and hopefully your mom gets the medical care she needs!!!

@homedecor1  You live just outside one of the most exciting cities in America!

Tampa has everything from the Straz to professional sports, hospitals of very high ranking in the Nation, restaurants of every ethnic group imaginable.  It has the Uof Tampa which is a historic hotel opened in 1891 and sits on the HIllsborough River.  The shopping is some of the best offered anywhere.  MOSI is a wonderful place and the USF College of Medicine is building downtown to be closer to one of the top hospitals in the US. Museums and parks are throughout the city where a 14 mile sidewalks borders the Bay.  It has a Convention Center second to none and huge Fairgrounds that offer many venues,  as does Raymond James and Amalie Arena.

What a shame that you have not been able to experience and enjoy this wonderful area!   Hopefully you will in the future!

Honored Contributor

@Zhills

you are absolutely right! Tampa is great for anything you'd like to do esp. Clearwater beach, my fav has the greatest things going all the time.

its not the city it's where we live (and my roommate aka spouse).  Maybe as I get older I'll appreciate the time I lived here!!!

Respected Contributor

@Merciful One

You've had a world of advice given....what are your thoughts? 

Respected Contributor

I think anywhere you live there are good and bad.  You have to figure out what you want and need.  In florida you can walk outside if you live in a safe area almost every day of the year.  You rarely have to bundle up. Rain comes and goes pretty fast.  I have spent a lot of time in East Tennessee and although beautiful you are inside a lot in the winter.  The storms they have here scare me more than any I have seen in Florida.  When it rains here it can be hard rain 24/7 for days.  Florida is wasted on me because I am not a beach and sitting in sun person.  I would rather sit on a lake under a tree.  I think it is easier to make a friend in Florida because a lot of people are transplants and do not have a ton of family around so they look for friends.  Other places retirees seem to have so much family that they don't have need or time for friendship.  You have to evaluate your individual situation and if you are lucky you can actually decide where you want to live.