Valued Contributor

Re: moving to ponte vedra fl area

089d8d2e2ed55103183121a4d93af146l-m0xd-w1020_h770_q80 BIGGER.jpg

Valued Contributor

I've made up nothing, my dear.

In the North West part of this state, this is how its run.

So please do not tell me I've made up stories...

Thank you.

Valued Contributor

This is our home for the poster who asked.

Obviously I am not advertising here, it would be wrong.

Have a nice holiday..

Valued Contributor

Also....

You work for a medical group...I would expect a comment like that from you.

You obviously have a perks in doing so...

I wish you luck as you get older and will be in need.

I would love to hear from the OP about her experiences on getting things done once she arrives...

Honored Contributor

@pieman

don't know if you are a transplant but I am & frankly, if my spouse felt the same I'd pack this house up w/in 5 minutes & gone!!!

I can't adjust I'm so much younger than the people in the "gated community" I live -- it drives me crazy at 5 pm it's deserted.  And we are so far away from everything - except a Publix, Walgreens & Banks!!!

All the things you point out esp. DMV getting car transferred & license was a total nightmare (& this was 7 years ago before all the additional stuff).  I went 9 times to bring more & more documents and finally issued a FL license (although I was a NJ registered driver since I was 17!🤔)

And drs. - if you have great insurance I think they find things wrong with you!  I'm happy I found a excellent primary and he just does what I ask or need! Yet, my spouse had to go to "pain mgt." dr. -- this quack found more things wrong with him everytime he went!  Finally, I said enough...he's using you as his ca$h cow😮

Oh I know what you're going thru with regards to doctors & pharmacies! Yes, it's a huge problem here & those who need those meds are penalized for the actions of "pill mill drs".  It's ridiculous what one needs to produce as documentation to buy a bottle of Sudafed!!!! Let alone a narcotic!!!

I didn't do my homework for sure - weather beautiful but all the things you state I could have written!!!  It certainly is not the paradise I imagined-

I heard this the other day:  Fl is the state of the old "newlyweds" & nearly dead!"

Good luck with your move and hopefully your mom gets the medical care she needs!!!

Valued Contributor

Thank you so much for this post and I almost bet we could be neighbors..

All that you said too, is true..

So far from everything.

Nothing to do, all is so far away...

We even surpass the Seinfelds on dinner time, we ar now done ny 4pm., for lack of nothing better to do..

You have a wonderful holiday now,,

Play the lottery, win big and you will be out of here too... Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Good luck and happiness to you. Your post interests me, because we aren't joiners and don't know anyone well where we live, although we have some acquaintances. We haven't tried to make friends and are perfectly happy. (We also have been busy helping elderly parents, so I suppose we are happy to just relax by ourselves when we can!) rBut if you need more people around, I'm sure you will find it if you reach out to those with similar interests. Join an art class, an exercise class, or a book group, go to auctions and flea markets or whatever interests you, volunteer at a food banks  (I do), etc. You seem to have a friendly, open attitude, which will serve you well. 

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ

you are fortunate and I don't think you can relate to @pieman and his situation.

I have to say DMV (tax collector) offices are extremely efficient yet when you are transferring from another state, it's not easy.

As for drs. - each office is different.  In my experience, I have been to several RA doctors these past years - I now fly home to see my RA doctor.  I'm not into taking excessive medicines or tests, X-rays, etc.   He stated his mother has medical issues & perhaps her "insurance plan" dictates the care she receives.

I think it's very hard to make "life changes" when there are other issues.  And yes, FL has made lots of changes after the pill epidemic of years ago - I was shocked to go into a Walgreens or CVS with a sheriff officer on duty there😳.  

We can only wish him the best 

@pieman  Your home is beautiful!

Respected Contributor

I live in NE florida and Ponte vedra is a nice area.  If you love heat, humidity, beach and shopping you will probably be happy.  Just be mindful of crime and use common sense.  Jacksonville has a lot of crime. 

Trusted Contributor

@pieman  Right on!   Been in FL almost 20 yrs and experienced everything you mentioned.  @Merciful One  I suggest renting before purchasing.