Regular Contributor

moving to ponte vedra fl area

Hello new friends!

I have never posted here before, but i need to have an "among friends" kind of talk

I am moving to the general area of Ponte Vedra FL shortly and really don't know what to expect. I was hoping to find a newcomers group of some type in order to meet others, but haven't found anything like that online. Realtor didn't know of any either

Any comments about the area or tips for getting acclimated? I'm actually struggling with this move

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: moving to ponte vedra fl area

@Merciful One

IDK the area, but I did check on meetup.com for you and it appears that there are several things going on in the area if you want to join and meet people.

If you have an address, you could also check out nextdoor.com.  

Respected Contributor

Do you have any hobbies? I enjoy antiquing so when I moved I visited a few shops introduced myself, said I was new to the area & everyone was kind & welcoming. Try to network with others that share the same interest, you will make friends & get the lay of the land so you can feel at home. Good Luck & enjoy this new chapter in your life....lucky you!

Regular Contributor

Thanks, Lolakimono!

That was so sweet that you took the time to do that for me!

I'll check it out

Regular Contributor

Thank you, Kitcat51, for the well wishes and tips. 

I'll have to think about that one and come up with something

Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Just wanted to wish you the very best of everything in your new home and neighborhood. I think most people feel the way you do.

Valued Contributor

Do not move to FL..

I just did and I am leaving this terrible state.

It was always our dream once we retired(we are young too) to come down here and enjoy the warmth, sunshine and ocean breezes.

From the moment we got here it was a nightmare!

First off, forget anything about finding good medical care.

Most are DO's and they don't do much at all except tell you what they won't follow with your records from previous doctors.

Doctors here cannot even write most scripts anymore, especially if you are in need of any form of pain meds.

You now have to go to, Pain Med Centers..and only that doctor will determiine what you need, forget whatever you have been treated with in the past.

Your meds will never be filled on time, as they rarely keep any amount of anything in stock, I kid you not and forget getting Name Brand's. The deal with Generic mostly.

The 2 major chains, as we all know of them, have control of what is ordered, how much and its like a lottery here, as to who gets what first.

It doesn't matter what the doctor writes.

Years ago Florida Dr's (not all) decided to get rich quick..

They wrote scripts for drugs like M&M's..

So, because of this and so many people swallowing them like candy and killing themselves, they have almost put a halt to getting anything anymore.

Florida isn't the only state but its the worst.

I always heard some say "People go to Florida to die" and I would think , what an awful thing to say but its true..

The doctors will tell you, unless you are in a well off, populated part of FL, your care is going to be very bad. They have said this, I kid you not.

Its an importantl thing to get your medical doctors in check before moving here but whoever thought you'd have such a surprise, as to what they now can/ or won't do any longer.

I have my 89 year old mother with us and she has a great deal wrong with her, she was kept comfortable with her doctors back home, but here...everyday its a fight with these people, always the pharrnacies.

Trust me, if there is anyway in heck you can change plans, do it.

Florida is no long the East Coast Paradise, its a nightmare 24-7..

I wish you luck, you will need it.

Now for your license(to drive) you will need to promise a kidney, a lung, your next grandchild, plus show your marriage license, divorce papers(if you are) birth certificate, ss card and 2 forms of ID...

Then, if you are planning to bring your car,,,its going to take longer than the 30 days they give you, especially if you have car payments. Whoever is holding the lien for the car must MAIL that to the Tax Collecter in what county you live in. They have no DMV's here. They won't fax anything and the price you pay to register that car can run around 3 to 4 hundred bucks.

Different world down here and I can't wait to leave.

Our house goes back on the market next week.

I will not have my mom live out her last days in pain, no one should..

Valued Contributor

@Merciful One Hope you love Ponte Vedra! I lived there for a year in 2010 and have great memories of it. I lived on Ponte Vedra Beach (work put us up in a condo ☺) and grew to love the town like home.  It was a huge change from Connecticut, but we felt safe, it had a small community feel there. Outdoor mall, Publix, all you need. And shopping at the Fresh Market is awesome! I met a lot of lovely people there...the Ponte Vedra library had a great book club I joined and we got a beach club guest pass which helped us meet people.  Good luck with your move!

Trusted Contributor

@pieman  Give me the stats on the home you are selling.  How much etc.  I know lots of people that may be interested.   I personally love florida...

Respected Contributor

@pieman wrote:

Do not move to FL..

I just did and I am leaving this terrible state.

It was always our dream once we retired(we are young too) to come down here and enjoy the warmth, sunshine and ocean breezes.

From the moment we got here it was a nightmare!

First off, forget anything about finding good medical care.

Most are DO's and they don't do much at all except tell you what they won't follow with your records from previous doctors.

Doctors here cannot even write most scripts anymore, especially if you are in need of any form of pain meds.

You now have to go to, Pain Med Centers..and only that doctor will determiine what you need, forget whatever you have been treated with in the past.

Your meds will never be filled on time, as they rarely keep any amount of anything in stock, I kid you not and forget getting Name Brand's. The deal with Generic mostly.

The 2 major chains, as we all know of them, have control of what is ordered, how much and its like a lottery here, as to who gets what first.

It doesn't matter what the doctor writes.

Years ago Florida Dr's (not all) decided to get rich quick..

They wrote scripts for drugs like M&M's..

So, because of this and so many people swallowing them like candy and killing themselves, they have almost put a halt to getting anything anymore.

Florida isn't the only state but its the worst.

I always heard some say "People go to Florida to die" and I would think , what an awful thing to say but its true..

The doctors will tell you, unless you are in a well off, populated part of FL, your care is going to be very bad. They have said this, I kid you not.

Its an importantl thing to get your medical doctors in check before moving here but whoever thought you'd have such a surprise, as to what they now can/ or won't do any longer.

I have my 89 year old mother with us and she has a great deal wrong with her, she was kept comfortable with her doctors back home, but here...everyday its a fight with these people, always the pharrnacies.

Trust me, if there is anyway in heck you can change plans, do it.

Florida is no long the East Coast Paradise, its a nightmare 24-7..

I wish you luck, you will need it.

Now for your license(to drive) you will need to promise a kidney, a lung, your next grandchild, plus show your marriage license, divorce papers(if you are) birth certificate, ss card and 2 forms of ID...

Then, if you are planning to bring your car,,,its going to take longer than the 30 days they give you, especially if you have car payments. Whoever is holding the lien for the car must MAIL that to the Tax Collecter in what county you live in. They have no DMV's here. They won't fax anything and the price you pay to register that car can run around 3 to 4 hundred bucks.

Different world down here and I can't wait to leave.

Our house goes back on the market next week.

I will not have my mom live out her last days in pain, no one should..

It's obvious you are very unhappy, so I'm glad you are getting out of your misery and moving out of Florida.

As a Florida native who happens to work for a Medical Group, I've never seen a post with more exaggeration. I, for one, am glad getting Pain Meds is made harder. There are some Pill Mills and I am glad Florida is doing something about that. Frankly , you post has made up stuff especially about your car situation. My County has at least 3 DMV locations.  People are moving to my area and have been for decades.  I truly am empathetic to your real troubles, just not to your exaggerations . Fare better in the future.