Valued Contributor

Re: misplacing something... and finding it again

I know this sounds strange, but we have a ghost in our house that moves things. We have things come up missing all the time, then find them, sometimes months later in a different place. He's not a mean ghost, just naughty. :-)

Super Contributor

@06greatwife wrote:

Kachina624

it's like Christmas at my house sometimes too! Sometimes I think I could hide my own Easter eggs and still not be able to find them. 

My mother used to write down the location of all hidden Easter eggs to make sure they were all found.  She didn't want to come across a 6 month old egg behind the couch one day!

Man plans. God laughs.
Trusted Contributor

This is not exactly a misplaced item story, but a missing cat story.  About six years ago, we had moved to a new home.  We had 2 cats at the time.  I had put the cats in the bathroom while the movers and my son and I brought in boxes, etc.  After the movers left, my son let the cats out of the bathroom.  An hour or so later, I noticed the front door was not shut all the way.  Yes, one of the cats was missing.  So I walked all around my new neighborhood, (good way to meet my neighbors), showed them my cats picture and told them where I live in case they saw her.  I also called the local animal shelter/rescue and reported Lily, my cat, missing. So now, its about 11 at night, I am tired from moving, but upset that my cat is gone.  My cats are indoor cats and I was afraid that she would be scared outside.  All of a sudden, out of nowhere, Lily appeared in the kitchen!  I called my son, he came in the kitchen and could not believe there was Lily, looking at us like, "so whats the big deal here"!  Apparently, she had managed to find a tiny space between the stove and the kitchen wall and managed to get in there.  She came out when it was quiet and she was hungry.  I was so happy to see her, and my son blocked that hole so she could not get in there again.  Typical cat, make us crazy looking for her, and then act like the queen she is. 

Respected Contributor

Lost a rose gold hoop earring years ago and looked all over our house (everyplace I was and everything I did) for months before finally giving up. Never do I lose silver earrings, always the gold. Fast forward and I decided to repot a houseplant that needed it and had been in the same pot forever and turned the pot over, tapped it and out popped the root ball, loose soil and my rose gold earring. It looked as pretty as the day I lost it at the first potting all those years ago. Now I never give up when I loose an earring (2 since mask wearing). 

Honored Contributor

It happened to me last week with an iron.  I never iron anything.  The other people in this house iron so I know I where it is.  I wanted to iron the collar on a shirt and iron just would not get hot enough.  It is old.  I huffed and grumbled about having to buy a new iron.  I debated about getting one from QVC or Amazon or going to Walmart this weekend.  It was a 2 day hissy fit.   And then hubby said is something wrong with that iron on the top shelf of the linen closet?  Duhhhh.  It came back to me then.  When daughter #2 got married 5 years ago,  she regifted one of the irons she got to me and I out it up in the linen closet......so I would not forget where it was.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday, I think it's quite possible that we both experienced the same thing with someone else in our homes....the cleaning lady. Although I hate to say that. I always kept it in the same place up to the point when it was missing. It's not the value of the diamonds, because they really weren't large and there were only 3 or 4 of them....but of course it had sentimental value like yours. It's interesting that before I discovered the ring was missing, my cleaning lady sent me a text and said she wouldn't be cleaning homes any longer since she had found a full-time job with benefits. I didn't put things together at the time. Hmmmm. I'm sorry for both of us!

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

@Nonametoday, I think it's quite possible that we both experienced the same thing with someone else in our homes....the cleaning lady. Although I hate to say that. I always kept it in the same place up to the point when it was missing. It's not the value of the diamonds, because they really weren't large and there were only 3 or 4 of them....but of course it had sentimental value like yours. It's interesting that before I discovered the ring was missing, my cleaning lady sent me a text and said she wouldn't be cleaning homes any longer since she had found a full-time job with benefits. I didn't put things together at the time. Hmmmm. I'm sorry for both of us!

@jannabelle1 

I think that is definitely a clue --- the text message. I think mine was similar to yours.  The only thing I could imagine.  Nobody in our house.  No evidence of breaking/entry.  I hate that because I did like the lady but people disappoint us for even fewer and lesser reasons.