Honored Contributor

Re: lost a good friendf and i am glad.

She should be ashamed of herself and her behavior toward you.  The cancer can return and the one person that helped her is no longer a friend because of the way you acted.  You should move on because she is NOT a friend.  Get your money back for the bedroom set too.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Unfortunately it has been my experience that friendship seems to be one sided a lot of the time.  It seems to go fine as long as they are the one needing support, understanding, help, whatever.  When it becomes my turn,  it seems to show how good the friendship is.  

Respected Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

Unfortunately it has been my experience that friendship seems to be one sided a lot of the time.  It seems to go fine as long as they are the one needing support, understanding, help, whatever.  When it becomes my turn,  it seems to show how good the friendship is.  

Just consider the bedroom suite a kind deed that you did with a good heart and try to forget it along with the ex friend.  Fighting for it now will just prolong your anger and hurt.   

Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

@shortbreadlover  She's got cancer and is facing being homeless? And you are upset about money you gave her 13 years ago. You are being vindictive and mean. Consider that money a gift to a friend in need. Get over it and get a life.  

Unblock her. If she ever needs help, be kind and offer your "good friend" the assistance she may need. It doesn't sound like you bothered to ask what kind of situation she is in right now. Perhaps she isn't able to help you out. Perhaps she's on meds that have affected her in worse ways that you are able to imagine.

Find someone else to take you to the hospital . . . or use an Uber is you don't have any other friends available to help you.  

No, the o/p wrote

"About 2005, a good friend HAD colin cancer and she was off work for three months with no pay..She was about to become homeless due to the fact that she had no income, and mounting medical bills plus she was recovering from cancer"

(I know that the o/p is having trouble with her eyesite, and I wish her a speedy recovery, but I thought maybe it might be easier to read this way.)

@BirkiLady  I agree. I don’t think you read shortbreadlover’s original post correctly. You are being extremely judgmental of her. She helped out a friend who had cancer years ago and then asked that same friend recently to give her a ride to the hospital. The woman was very nasty and hung up on her. Yes, the friend could be sick again, in pain, or have bad things going on in her life, but that is no excuse for her to act like that to Shortbreadlover as Shortbreadlover had helped her out in the past. If the friend might be sick again or on meds as you mentioned, the friend could honestly tell Shortbreadlover that, and I’m sure she would have understood. Instead she acted nasty and hung up on Shortbreadlover. That’s not what friends do. Pain, illness, and problems do cause us to be short tempered with our friends at times, but those things should never be an excuse to be a bad friend. If she was ever any kind of friend to Shortbreadlover at all, she would have called Shortbreadlover back and apologized and explained what was going on in her life that made her unable to give her friend a ride.

Trusted Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@shortbreadlover , I am so sorry this happened to you. I wish I knew if you were in my state, Arkansas- anywhere close to me and I would try to help you. 

What I have learned, and its taken 50 years, is that just because I am nice to someone and give to them, it doesn't mean they will be nice to me. Some people do not have it in them to be compassionate.

@happycat Wise words!

Trusted Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

My dad had colin cancer for over 20 years. He had numerous surgeries, chemo, radiations, medications, etc. The cancer spread throughout his lungs and other organs. It's a deadly form of cancer.

Where has the OP been during the past 13 years? Can't say I blame the "friend" for not helping. Although I doubt she has been able to take the OP to the hospital. 

The OP is not understanding or kind IMHO.

@BirkiLady You are making a lot of assumptions here without any facts. 

Esteemed Contributor

@shortbreadlover, I wish you a successful surgery and healing.  Yes, it is hurtful and maddening when someone you have done so much for is so hurtful.  You did the right thing in helping her.  Now you know her true character.  Just walk away and don’t look back.  Shame on her.  Let it go...otherwise it will continue to hurt you.  

Esteemed Contributor

@shortbreadlover  .. I am really sorry this happened to you.  You are a kind person and did not deserve this type of treatment from your "friend".  But it is a bit late to take your friend to court after 14 years. 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is so sad.

You lost nothing because a good friend shortbreadlover, does not betray her friend.

If she really was a good friend she would have never done what she did to you.

Good friends do not do awful things to their friends.

Good friends respect, care about, and treasure that freindship, and always help if they can.

That is what a good friend does.

Good luck to you shortbreadlover, and I recall that saying and believe in these words.... "Everyone eventually receives their just desserts, so she will get hers eventually".

Respected Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Nobody is OVER having colon cancer in 3 months!  

@Zhills Actually, my dad and my grandmother both had colon cancer...surgery was all the treatment they needed and they were pretty much recovered in 3 months. Dad is still here after 14 years. Grandmother lived 3 years after surgery, and did NOT die from cancer.

I know it's not that way for everyone...they were blessed it was caught very early!