Esteemed Contributor

Re: lost a good friendf and i am glad.

@KingstonsMom wrote:

While I agree that it was probably disappointing for her not help you, when you helped her in the past, the reality is that you made this purchase in 2005 and made no attempt to collect on your purchase for 14 years.

I'm not sure that you would have a leg to stand on in trying to collect/sue her now.

Correct. I would think after that long, it would be considered abandoned.

I've seen cases similar to this on "The People's Court", and the (former) friend could give a deadline to pick up the furniture, or else it will be re-sold, or trashed.

I do think however, that she at most, might have to refund the o/p the purchase price.

Then there is the depreciation factor too.

"Antique" or not, things do not have the same value today that they did 14 years ago.

So, again, if any money does have to be refunded, it might be at the depreciated value.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@shortbreadlover  She's got cancer and is facing being homeless? And you are upset about money you gave her 13 years ago. You are being vindictive and mean. Consider that money a gift to a friend in need. Get over it and get a life.  

Unblock her. If she ever needs help, be kind and offer your "good friend" the assistance she may need. It doesn't sound like you bothered to ask what kind of situation she is in right now. Perhaps she isn't able to help you out. Perhaps she's on meds that have affected her in worse ways that you are able to imagine.

Find someone else to take you to the hospital . . . or use an Uber is you don't have any other friends available to help you.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@shortbreadlover  She's got cancer and is facing being homeless? And you are upset about money you gave her 13 years ago. You are being vindictive and mean. Consider that money a gift to a friend in need. Get over it and get a life.  

Unblock her. If she ever needs help, be kind and offer your "good friend" the assistance she may need. It doesn't sound like you bothered to ask what kind of situation she is in right now. Perhaps she isn't able to help you out. Perhaps she's on meds that have affected her in worse ways that you are able to imagine.

Find someone else to take you to the hospital . . . or use an Uber is you don't have any other friends available to help you.  

No, the o/p wrote

"About 2005, a good friend HAD colin cancer and she was off work for three months with no pay..She was about to become homeless due to the fact that she had no income, and mounting medical bills plus she was recovering from cancer"

(I know that the o/p is having trouble with her eyesite, and I wish her a speedy recovery, but I thought maybe it might be easier to read this way.)

Esteemed Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

No, the o/p wrote

"About 2005, a good friend HAD colin cancer and she was off work for three months with no pay..She was about to become homeless due to the fact that she had no income, and mounting medical bills plus she was recovering from cancer"

(I know that the o/p is having trouble with her eyesite, and I wish her a speedy recovery, but I thought maybe it might be easier to read this way.)

@BirkiLady 

Esteemed Contributor

Nobody is OVER having colon cancer in 3 months!  

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

While I agree that it was probably disappointing for her not help you, when you helped her in the past, the reality is that you made this purchase in 2005 and made no attempt to collect on your purchase for 14 years.

I'm not sure that you would have a leg to stand on in trying to collect/sue her now.

The (former) friend might have considered it a slap-in-the-face, that the o/p bought the furniture, but never picked it up.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My dad had colin cancer for over 20 years. He had numerous surgeries, chemo, radiations, medications, etc. The cancer spread throughout his lungs and other organs. It's a deadly form of cancer.

Where has the OP been during the past 13 years? Can't say I blame the "friend" for not helping. Although I doubt she has been able to take the OP to the hospital. 

The OP is not understanding or kind IMHO.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@shortbreadlover , I am so sorry this happened to you. I wish I knew if you were in my state, Arkansas- anywhere close to me and I would try to help you. 

What I have learned, and its taken 50 years, is that just because I am nice to someone and give to them, it doesn't mean they will be nice to me. Some people do not have it in them to be compassionate.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@shortbreadlover.   I just hope you have something in writing regarding the sale of this furniture, otherwise you're probably out if luck.  Hard to believe soneone could be so heartless regarding you simple request.  She's definitely not a friend and never was.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

i know what you are saying.  i am just hurt that someone that i thought was a good friend lacks compassion and understanding when someo ne else was in nweed of help.  iguess i just had thought that she was a better  person then to do that.

i aam still debating what i am going to do.  my feelings are stil. raw and i feel deeply hurt. but i do know that i am better off  cutting her out of my life.  had she really been grateful for the help, she would have made an attempt t5o either repay the money or see that the bedroom set was delivered.

i know that  we all; have have our problems  and sometimes we are overwhelmed by them.   i never tried to pick up the set because i knew she had other health and family issues.

bedroom set aside,  i am glad that i helped keep one perwson from being on the street.

Look at it this way...you are a better person than she ever will be.  As for the bedroom set I doubt even in court you would win, too much time elapsed between paying for it and not taking possession.  She has lost a good friend, you lost a few dollars, you are the winner.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam