Trusted Contributor

are you afraid your parents are spending your inheritance?

spending3.jpg

Respected Contributor

Re: is this you?

[ Edited ]

OMG,  NO!   I would never reply on anyone for $ except myself and my husband's hard work, ability to save and living below our means.  We've never felt we were depriving ourselves,  have a nice house and have gone on wonderful trips, etc.   However,  by being careful,  this has allowed us,  at this stage of our lives,  to treat ourselves to almost anything.....  however,  we still are careful.

We made sure my parents knew this and in my Mom's final years,  spent whatever was necessary from her savings to make sure she was well taken care of and had everything she needed.

Super Contributor

heavy3.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

The only times , I would be worried abt how my relative was spending their money is If they were being  frauded  by some one such as  happens to many elderly  via the telephone and Internet scams . I would be concerned if they were a hoarder  or spending  what should be put aside  for   their  future nursing home care .

As far as inheritance , have never thought I was entitled to any of  my parents   money or property.

Trusted Contributor

No.  I hope my parents spend their money on things they enjoy and or make their life easier.  I make my own money.  

Honored Contributor

You are kidding right? I hope so...

Respected Contributor

Wow!  That mug and that sentiment are disgusting.  I have other descriptive words but they are not allowed on this forum.

Honored Contributor

My parents are gone so I'll answer for myself. Our mmoney ours. We will spend it in any way we choose with no thought to leaving our girls anything. They are on their own. We paid for colleges, weddings,  we helped with the down payment on homes.  Before all that, we gave them the best childhoods any children could wish for.  Now it's all about us.  It's likely that we will leave our home to my nephew who is the son we never had.  My girls will inherit treasured items but not any money or very little.

Esteemed Contributor

@newname0 wrote:

are you afraid your parents are spending your inheritance?

@newname0 

I had only 1 parent and she died in 1969. All she accumulated were belongings. Raising 4 kids by herself was not conducive to piling up $$$ or assets.

My wish is she had lived long enough for me to be able to give her more. 

Q:Your thread title question?

A: No  **

** With a question like this, I am guessing you are much younger than many on this forum.

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

No. Every situation is different, but parents are not obligated to leave an inheritance for their children. It depends on family dynamics, state rules among other things. Inheritance shouldn't automatically be expected, as that can ruin families. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain