Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I think for the most part, women find they don't need to marry after their spouse dies.

My parents had a friend who was widowed after his wife passed away after a long illness.  He married within a few months after her passing.  The second wife died, and again he married within a few months. 

It just all depends on the people involved...

It does indeed.  There's no one size fits all but, in general, widowers who were happy in their marriages tend to re-marry sooner rather than later.  Women, on the other hand, have fewer options and we're more sentimental.

Honored Contributor

That statistic may be right on, but I personally do not know any female who remarried after the husband died in my family or circle of friends. I do know of one male in our town whose wife died after a long illness, he remarried a year after she died. This man was in his late 50's though, I could see where he might still require regular female companionship. I have a great marriage and I would never remarry when my husband passes, but I would like a man to travel with and do things around the house for me. My thing is, I would want a much younger man and at my age 68, well it's asking a lot. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Re: interesting statistic

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

I think for the most part, women find they don't need to marry after their spouse dies.

My parents had a friend who was widowed after his wife passed away after a long illness.  He married within a few months after her passing.  The second wife died, and again he married within a few months. 

It does indeed.  There's no one size fits all but, in general, widowers who were happy in their marriages tend to re-marry sooner rather than later.  Women, on the other hand, have fewer options and we're more sentimental.

I call bull on that.

There was only ONE woman for my dad, and that was my mom.

He remained single for EIGHTEEN YEARS, right up until he too died.

Never even went out on one single date, never held hands with another woman, never even kissed another woman.

I bet that there are a LOT more men out there that are just like my dad was, than not.

Oh, and my dad was VERY happy in his marriage.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

No.  That has not been my experience.  I hate people who claim to be experts, get paid to create stats and for the most part have used a very small, selective group to prove their belief.  

How do you know any of this? There was NO information given about the who, where, why, how of these statistics.

Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

I call bull on that.

Never even went out on one single date, never held hands with another woman, never even kissed another woman.

I bet that there are a LOT more men out there that are just like my dad was, than not.

I don't know why you keep getting so upset about this. The post clearly states depending on the people and in general. You seem to be taking this as an insult against your father. That since he didn't remarry he didn't have a good marriage.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

I call bull on that.

You do realize that no one is specifically talking about your dad, don't you?

Contributor

@newname0 wrote:

I read just now that widowers remarry within one year while widows take up to five years to remarry.  Do you agree?

I would need more details about what you read. Can you point us to an article or study? It's an interesting topic.

Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

That is interesting.  I wonder if it breaks it down by age.  I think the "older" generation widower would be more inclined to be married because the man may be more dependent of his wife to handle the household, the planning, food preparation, etc.. since they were raised from another time, where women and men had more set roles.  Men provided for the household and women ran the household and raised the children.  Not in all circumstances, but I can see it in my parents and those from their same generation.

I have found that the "younger" generation is more independent and I can see the huge difference between my parents and my son and his wife and how their roles and expectations are different.   I think that is great, since my son is so much more involved in raising the children then his father was.

I've always thought my generation was in the middle of this change, where the husbands were raised by stay-at-home moms who did all the housework and almost all of raising the children, and then once they married, expected the same of their spouse (since that was normal for them).  Meanwhile, their wives were holding down full time jobs along with trying to manage the household while the husband thought his only responsibility was to provide income for the home, and that was pretty much it.

I know that is what caused a lot of stress in my marriage where I tried to do it all.

Plus, some people don't want to be alone.  I think that explains for some who jump quickly from relationship to relationship (live-in) like my ex, while others are perfectly happy living alone (me).  

Great points @CAcableGirl2.

Respected Contributor

For me, I doubt I’d remarry. I have adult sons and friends and 5 siblings with their spouses and several nieces and nephews to keep me busy. My dad is 91 and though he’s living in a NH, we try hard to keep him busy. I know things can change on a dime but right now, honestly, my retirement has kept me so busy that it’s hard for me to imagine feeling lonely, left out, or left behind. 

Esteemed Contributor

No. I know some widowers who married very soon, within 6 months or less, but most of the widowers I know are still single, not even dating after many years.