Respected Contributor

Re: if I receive anything for Valentine's Day --

I called my mother last night and spoke to her for almost an hour!

I sent her a lovely QVC D & Co pink sweater, a heart-shaped box of Godiva chocolates, and a pretty bracelet.  

Tonight hubby and I will go out for an early dinner (it is a work night!) in a nearby restaurant.  I bought him Landees Candies pretzels, and he bought me a box of chocolate and roses (NOT expensive).

I also sent a V-Day email to all my immediate family (brothers, etc.) and cards to my nieces and nephews.

I enjoy celebrating holidays, and I never care if anyone reciprocates or not.  Life is too short to worry about creating hard feelings.

The most important thing is to remember those who are in your heart.  I wish everybody a wonderful day full of LOVE!

Respected Contributor

Our son was born on Valentine's Day which means we all celebrate the day. I didn't realize what day it was until my husband came in with a heart shaped box of chocolates. My father drove me to the hospital. Drove slow showing me land he could have bought. My Mom said step on the gas her pains are close. Thankfully I made it.

Honored Contributor

It didn't come out of the blue.  It seems like you've had a troubled relationship with him for a long time.  Follow your instincts and just let it go since you know asking might make things worse.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GoneButNotForgotten  I'm sure your son isn't ignoring you on purpose. Sons can be like that. My DIL calls me much more than my son. She has to remind him to call me occasionally.  He has a demanding job, and they have 5  children. When he does call, he's usually in the car, and I worry he's going to drive off the road. Smiley Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My son & daughter in law sent me flowers & texted me.We're very close.

I'm sorry for your pain. This has to do with more than a missed phone call.Maybe you should send your son a text or an email. Tell him how much you love him & how much you want to fix your relationship.Life is too short for families to be apart.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes we have to chose between being right and having a relationship, or being wrong and having a relationship.  We each have to decide what a relationship is worth to us and what we are willing to sacrifice for one.

Relationships usually require a little sacrifice along the way--whether all on one side, both sides, or something give and take on an ongoing basis. It can be done with joy or not.  

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten Maybe he will call you tonight - I hope.

But if your son is like mine. I am not so sure.

My son likes a certain candy from a local candy store. So this morning a small box of this candy was placed with his stuff before he ran out the door to work. He had no idea why we bought the box of candy. My husband explained that it was Valentine's Day. My son had no clue it was Valentine's Day. 

Valentine's Day is not on his radar screen. 

Honored Contributor

My family does not make a big deal out of Valentine's Day other than to say "I love you" to each person.  

Still having my husband, daughters, mother, brothers, sisters-in-law, nephew, and special friends around me this year means more than any store bought gift.  I can't imagine not reaching out to them on this special day.   

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop  I took a similar journey with my mother about 16 years ago. She still knew us in her last days (91 years old), but her mind was frozen in time. To her, our children were still babies, her parents were still living, and FDR was still president. But, she was happy and dwelt amidst her good memories. Keep your sense of humor, rely on the support of your family, and just love her while you can!

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop,

I can certainly identify with the journey you are on with your beloved mother.  My mom received all the love I could give her during her final years, very ill, in a nursing home.  And hospitalized many times.

Mom passed some thirteen years ago.  I look back, still miss her,  but remember the happiness my brother and I brought her.  You can never make a mistake doing the right thing.

All my best wishes.