Respected Contributor

if I receive anything for Valentine's Day --

-- even a phone call --  from my son, I think I'd faint from surprise. Lately (in the last year or two), he has taken to ignoring me. I'd like to know why but I don't know what to expect if I ask and I don't want a big explosion so for now I'll let sleeping dogs lie (I'm a big believer in that). 

Honored Contributor

Re: if I receive anything for Valentine's Day --

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

-- even a phone call --  from my son, I think I'd faint from surprise. Lately (in the last year or two), he has taken to ignoring me. I'd like to know why but I don't know what to expect if I ask and I don't want a big explosion so for now I'll let sleeping dogs lie (I'm a big believer in that). 

@GoneButNotForgotten Why not call and say "I love you?"  Or text.  You might feel better, and you probably won't feel any worse but it is a positive step.  You can say that I hope and let the dogs keep sleeping.  

Sometimes that's the best we can do. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just go with your gut instinct.  No one on here can give you the correct answer because it sounds like it's complicated and much deeper issues exist.    

Esteemed Contributor

My kids don't call me on Valentines day, they don't call on a lot of these types of "holidays".  It doesn't bother me as long as I talk to them every once in awhile.  I know they are busy and wrapped up in their own lives.  I get it, I didn't call my mom all the time either.  I take it as I brought them up well enough to stand on their own.........I love my kids and am happy when I see them and just get to chat with them in general.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten 

Even if you don't receive that phone call, please be kind to yourself and pull up good memories of past Valentine's Days to made this a feel good day!  

My 88 year old mother is in the last stage of dementia, and I have just returned home from a visit with her.   Mom was glad to see me, seemed to know me today; the flowers and candy perked her up, but also confused her, as she doesn't connect to Valentine's Day.  I shared a beautiful picture of her with the flowers, with my brothers, but have cried a river feeling those will likely be the last flowers I give to her.  

I am trying so hard to do all I can for my Mom, as I never want to have one single regret of something I could've, should've, would've done for her once she's gone.  Whether she knows me or not, my heart will be peaceful knowing I tried to do my best, and I honored her for all of her days on this earth.  

Super Contributor

I don't think Valentines Day is a day for Mom and a grown son.  I talk to my sons all the time, but don't expect a Valentines Day call.  If they do happen to call me today it will be just like any other day.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never expected my kids to call me on Valentines Day. IMO, it's just another day for retailers to get us to spend money. 

Esteemed Contributor

My son and I exchanged texts with e valentines. I've already given him a bag of candy. I don't expect anything. 
                 😍

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop   I'm glad you had the day with your mother regardless of her response. I'm sure she enjoyed your visit. 
   Years ago I purchased a small heart shaped dish for my mother and a pretty Valentine in January. She passed away shortly after. I placed the Valentine in her casket and set the little dish out yearly. 
         💌 💔

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten 

Valentine's Day was not that important to my mother the short number of years she was with us. When we were grade school kids she made it a big day for us. 

She died on Valentine's Day ❤ 54 years ago. What I wouldn't give to be able to call her today. 

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)