Esteemed Contributor

Re: i finally said something to neighbors....

They would be calling me a B, too....I had a similar situation with a neighbor; I was on my front deck and saw/heard him hit his dog. It made me so mad, I just screamed, "Don't hit that dog!"

Then the idiot stood out there and denied hitting it....after I'd seen him....

They can like it or not but I would keep monitoring the situation for the dog's sake.

Esteemed Contributor

Report them for animal cruelty and abuse immediately; also begin calling PD when dog is barking - noise control - but the PD will see the conditions and perhaps push the cruelty and neglect along:  it't against the law now!

Trusted Contributor

@dogsx3, I also commend you for looking out for this defenseless innocent dog. My granddaughter works for the Humane Society and they recently took in a 3 week old puppy, who was thrown out of a car window on the highway-a Good Samaritan stopped and brought the puppy to the Humane Society to be taken care of. How do people like that sleep at night.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I must be the outlier with this.

I would guess most everyone on in this forum are animal lovers...myself included, and the safety of an animal is paramount, but we have to remember...these are our neighbors.

I would've anonymously called the City authorities to handle the one-on-one with the neighbors...but what is done is done.

I would lay so incredibly low from now on.  

Unfortunately, from this point forward there's nothing you can really do...without them knowing you called the City.  They could make your day-to-day life pretty bad...dangerously bad...especially if pushed.  AND they could injure the dog just to make you upset. 

Let things cool off for a good long while (months) before even remotely thinking of doing anything....IMO.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@eddyandme wrote:

Report them for animal cruelty and abuse immediately; also begin calling PD when dog is barking - noise control - but the PD will see the conditions and perhaps push the cruelty and neglect along:  it't against the law now!

Bad idea.  Then the owners will get mad at the dog for barking and hit it even more to shut it up.  You are then punishing the dog even more in hopes of calling attention to the owners.  Don't do it. 

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I must be the outlier with this.

I would guess most everyone on in this forum are animal lovers...myself included, and the safety of an animal is paramount, but we have to remember...these are our neighbors.

I would've anonymously called the City authorities to handle the one-on-one with the neighbors...but what is done is done.

I would lay so incredibly low from now on.  

Unfortunately, from this point forward there's nothing you can really do...without them knowing you called the City.  They could make your day-to-day life pretty bad...dangerously bad...especially if pushed.  AND they could injure the dog just to make you upset. 

Let things cool off for a good long while (months) before even remotely thinking of doing anything....IMO.

I too am an animal lover, but I have also seen some of those "Fear Your Neighbor" type shows on ID and other networks and am very wary of causing strife with a neighbor.  This situation with multiple people coming and going, and adult men opening calling her a B word, sounds like the type of situation that could get unsafe, dangerous, or at the very least extremely creepy.  I too would not do anything else at this point to draw any attention to myself. 

Honored Contributor

@daisy123

I am not sure you talked with your neighbor. You say "a man" and then you say "the same voice". Could he be a visitor? If your window is that close to their yard, I am surprised you are not sure who " this man" might be? Doesn't sound to me like much of a talk with "the lady". If you consider this to be animal abuse, call Animal Control after you do the following:

Take video with a TIME and DATE stamp on it and show it, or give it to Animal Control.

Is there some reason you cannot give the dog water and some attention? Is their property marked " No Trespassing? Were this one on my neighbors they would be hearing, face to face, every single day. They might even call Law Enforcement on me, I don't care. Maybe that would wake then up to: take care of your puppy or give him to someone that will give him the love and care he deserves.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@dogsx3

I am not sure you talked with your neighbor. You say "a man" and then you say "the same voice". Could he be a visitor? If your window is that close to their yard, I am surprised you are not sure who " this man" might be? Doesn't sound to me like much of a talk with "the lady". If you consider this to be animal abuse, call Animal Control after you do the following:

Take video with a TIME and DATE stamp on it and show it, or give it to Animal Control.

Is there some reason you cannot give the dog water and some attention? Is their property marked " No Trespassing? Were this one on my neighbors they would be hearing, face to face, every single day. They might even call Law Enforcement on me, I don't care. Maybe that would wake then up to: take care of your puppy or give him to someone that will give him the love and care he deserves.

hckynut(john)

Even if their property isn't marked "no trespassing", you don't have a right to go onto someone else's property.  

Honored Contributor

You did what most animals lovers WOULD DO. As for your husband? I will keep what I think of him to myself.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

You did the right thing so don't overthink this.  If it were me, I would have already gone in and taken the dog.  Not knowing your circumstance, is it possible that you could take the dog or offer them money to buy the dog?  Animal lovers hate stories like this but it happens everywhere, unfortunately.  We have some sick people in our society and we cannot always choose our neighbors.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!