Trusted Contributor

Re: how to not be offended by family.....

@occasionalrain wrote:

Your mother wanted you to have it. To give it away is disrespectful to her. Keep it and stop asking your relatives to hurt you.

Your right, Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@dogsx3 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

Your mother wanted you to have it. To give it away is disrespectful to her. Keep it and stop asking your relatives to hurt you.

Your right, Thanks.

I disagree with this one thousand percent.  Just because someone gives you something, does not mean you have to keep it.  They give it to you to give you pleasure and because they want YOU to enjoy it.  

If that means selling it to buy something else, not displaying an object in your home, or not hanging on to other people's stuff you would rather not have, that is 100 percent your choice and fine! You are not a museum, and things do not replace your loved ones. 

It is FAR too much to ask to think people have to keep everything given to them or inherited by them.  Your loved ones would not want you to bear the burden of stuff you don't love.  They loved YOU!

Honored Contributor

Just tell your relative 'no worries' and that you aren't going to sell it, that it will remain in the family.  That, or: If he wishes to keep it in the family, he can have it, as long as he doesn't sell it.  Regardless, I wouldn't sell it because some people would love to keep certain items in a family.  But, that's just me.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@dogsx3

I hope you will keep the ring your Mom gave you, and cherish it.  A wedding band has meaning, it is special, it isn't like an old blanket or something.  You were special to your Mom, so she wanted you to have it. Obviously whatever mistakes you made she forgave you and loved you - that's what is important. If the rest of your family doesn't have enough generosity to follow her lead, how sad for them!

You did the polite thing by letting the family know where it is since it wasn't mentioned in the will, now they know it wasn't stolen or lost.  

I hope you can tell them you WILL keep it in your family, that's all they need to know.

When the time is right you can leave it to one of your wonderful children, who no doubt will also cherish it.  No need to discuss this at all with your sibs.

Best wishes.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

My post was about a mother's wedding ring left to her daughter and only that. It had nothing to do with keeping every gift one receives and to imagine it did is ridiculous. Only a hoarder would do that.