Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@jannabelle1 I don't think it is true that there is no homelessness or poverty in the midwest.

That's not what @jannabelle1 said.

Esteemed Contributor

I believe that some homeless people squandered  their money. There are also those that for some reason choose to be homeless.This may be due to mental health issues.They need help not scorn.

But I wholeheartedly believe that most homeless people are just dealt a bad hand. People need to be paid a living wage. Basic needs have to be met & bills have to be paid,period.

I live in downstate N.Y. east of NYC. In my area a one bedroom apartment rents for about $1800 a month plus utilities. There is no public transportation so one needs a car to get to work.When you add in gas for the car, insurance, utilities & food etc. you’re talking about a lot of money.

I volunteer at & donate to a food bank. The people that come in for food are good people.They don’t want handouts.They want decent paying jobs so that they can cover the basic needs of their families.Some are homeless.Not by choice but by circumstance. They’re afraid to go to shelters.We give them food & referrals for services. They just want an opportunity to do better.

I don’t understand why a wealthy society such as ours can’t find a way to give these people a leg up.Not a handout but an opportunity.

Honored Contributor

Re: homeless in america

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo 

❤️🧡💛💚💙

To you Friend, One Animal Loving, Public Health Person to another!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Oh let's face it, unless homelessness is hitting you in the face it isn't something people think about. It's like the phrase from the Bible,"there will always be poor among us". Like just because there have always been poor and homeless, it's some how ok, like they will be rewarded in heaven. I don't know what the answer is, but surely the richest country in the world could do better for their own people. In fact, we who think we are the so called,"good people", should insist on it.

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I do not know very much about homelessness; it it is not a big problem in my local area.  

Years ago there was a local married couple who were homeless, by their choice.  They lived under a bridge until it got cold, and then moved into an old abandoned building.   City police kept an eye on them, and often brought them to the hospital when it was super cold.  The couple had money for food, never looked for handouts, picked up trash on their walks around town, and were quite happy.  They did not want to live in any of the homes offered to them.

Several years ago, my husband engaged in a conversation with another veteran at the local VA clinic.  Highly intelligent man, very distinguished military career, and collecting a top dollar pension (over $3500 a month).  He was divorced, and homeless, by choice, living in a room at the local shelter!   His social worker tried her best to get him into an apartment, and he wanted no part of it.  His ex wife had taken every material thing from their marriage, and a cash settlement, but she did not get his pension.  The VA was covering all of his medical needs, he was satisfied with a bed in the shelter, and his money was piling up in the bank to go to something veteran related when he died!   He said he did not want to be tied down with stuff at this stage of life!   My husband and I were blown away by his story, which was verified. 

How did he qualify for a room at a shelter with a $3500/mo pension. 

If true, he’s scamming the system and taking a room from someone who actually needs it. 

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@dooBdoo 

❤️🧡💛💚💙

To you Friend, One Animal Loving, Public Health Person to another!

@Drythe,  Thank you, friend.   Sending the love right back to you.❤️🧡💛💚💙

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl wrote:

For those homeless by no choice of their own, my utter compassion.

My 28 year old niece has told us she moved to Colorado and is homeless because "she's never felt so alive not knowing where her next meal is coming from".

Meanwhile, she's distanced herself from her whole family because we won't chip in to cover for the job opportunities she refuses to work.

@Chicagosuburbangirl   Wow I feel bad for her poor parents!  If it were my daughter I would be worried sick!  

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@catwhisperer, I was pondering life earlier today and you know one thing that is a constant? Of course you do. We all come into this life with nothing and we all go out with nothing. The richest billionare with his yachts and multi million dollar mansions, cannot take a bit of it with him. We are all gonna leave this earth and can't take a thing with us.

And I don't think its right that insurance costs so much either. My cousin has his own business and he told me last week, he pays over 900.00 a month for he and his wife. No kids. That seems crazy. But I'm sure there are folks who are paying more. I honestly don't know how much we pay, its held out of dh's check. I guess that would be something I maybe should figure out....

@happycat   Mine is close to $1,000.00 a month just form me!  DH is on Medicare and between Medicare & his supplement he pays around $260.00.  I can't wait for next month when I turn 65 to finally get on Medicare and a reduced cost for insurance!!

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC changing the tone of the thread, off topic/political.

Esteemed Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

@RedTop wrote:

I do not know very much about homelessness; it it is not a big problem in my local area.  

Years ago there was a local married couple who were homeless, by their choice.  They lived under a bridge until it got cold, and then moved into an old abandoned building.   City police kept an eye on them, and often brought them to the hospital when it was super cold.  The couple had money for food, never looked for handouts, picked up trash on their walks around town, and were quite happy.  They did not want to live in any of the homes offered to them.

Several years ago, my husband engaged in a conversation with another veteran at the local VA clinic.  Highly intelligent man, very distinguished military career, and collecting a top dollar pension (over $3500 a month).  He was divorced, and homeless, by choice, living in a room at the local shelter!   His social worker tried her best to get him into an apartment, and he wanted no part of it.  His ex wife had taken every material thing from their marriage, and a cash settlement, but she did not get his pension.  The VA was covering all of his medical needs, he was satisfied with a bed in the shelter, and his money was piling up in the bank to go to something veteran related when he died!   He said he did not want to be tied down with stuff at this stage of life!   My husband and I were blown away by his story, which was verified. 

How did he qualify for a room at a shelter with a $3500/mo pension. 

If true, he’s scamming the system and taking a room from someone who actually needs it. 

Most homeless shelters do not have a qualifing process....at the end ofthe day they line up at the door for a bed that night.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.