Trusted Contributor

i know this to be a fact because i researched the investment firm that bought the mall and who onws it.  it took a while but i did find out.

Honored Contributor

Re: homeless in america

[ Edited ]

I like the concept of the tiny homes community.  They look clean and they have enough space to sleep, obtain an address, and get out of elements of the weather.. They should have a community type bathroom/shower/laundromat.

https://www.curbed.com/maps/tiny-houses-for-the-homeless-villages

Respected Contributor

My mother used to say who so much and who so little. Our country could be so much better if the wealthy were willing to help the homeless. Especially families with children. No one needs to be a billionaire. Taxes and an illness can put a family under. As I write this I know it will never happen. 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it's political

Respected Contributor

Re: homeless in america

[ Edited ]

NM

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Regular Contributor

Many wealthy people donate generous amounts to charities of all types.  I think your statement is a generalization and unfair.  Sorry, I cannot jump on the "hate the wealthy" bandwagon.

Esteemed Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe, I don't intend to get into an argument with you - I'll just offer a different viewpoint. We don't have the same dire issues in the Midwest and other areas of the U.S. We don't have the high salaries that you have in NYC or the west coast, and we don't have unaffordable housing prices. Disparities in wealth aren't something that many of us worry about.....we work hard and we earn a good living. If someone builds a company, pays their employees and become wealthy then good for them. That's capitalism! Disparities in wealth in the 50s - 70s? The 50s and 60s were post WW2! Please think outside of the box of NYC....and thanks to capitalism, Silicon Valley and their innovations were made possible! Yes, some young people accept debt - they need to learn not to do that, as many of us have.

Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1 I don't think it is true that there is no homelessness or poverty in the midwest.

Honored Contributor

I do not know very much about homelessness; it it is not a big problem in my local area.  

Years ago there was a local married couple who were homeless, by their choice.  They lived under a bridge until it got cold, and then moved into an old abandoned building.   City police kept an eye on them, and often brought them to the hospital when it was super cold.  The couple had money for food, never looked for handouts, picked up trash on their walks around town, and were quite happy.  They did not want to live in any of the homes offered to them.

Several years ago, my husband engaged in a conversation with another veteran at the local VA clinic.  Highly intelligent man, very distinguished military career, and collecting a top dollar pension (over $3500 a month).  He was divorced, and homeless, by choice, living in a room at the local shelter!   His social worker tried her best to get him into an apartment, and he wanted no part of it.  His ex wife had taken every material thing from their marriage, and a cash settlement, but she did not get his pension.  The VA was covering all of his medical needs, he was satisfied with a bed in the shelter, and his money was piling up in the bank to go to something veteran related when he died!   He said he did not want to be tied down with stuff at this stage of life!   My husband and I were blown away by his story, which was verified. 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it's political