Esteemed Contributor

@catwhisperer, I was pondering life earlier today and you know one thing that is a constant? Of course you do. We all come into this life with nothing and we all go out with nothing. The richest billionare with his yachts and multi million dollar mansions, cannot take a bit of it with him. We are all gonna leave this earth and can't take a thing with us.

And I don't think its right that insurance costs so much either. My cousin has his own business and he told me last week, he pays over 900.00 a month for he and his wife. No kids. That seems crazy. But I'm sure there are folks who are paying more. I honestly don't know how much we pay, its held out of dh's check. I guess that would be something I maybe should figure out....

Honored Contributor

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

@catwhisperer 

Esteemed Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

My son took his own life 14 yrs. ago this month. He was homeless by choice. I'm not looking for sympathy or "I'm sorry's". My point is that we never know what situation a person is in to create homelessness. My son was a drug addict. We tried to get him help, but it didn't work.

My heart breaks for you. I know you said you weren't looking for "I'm sorry's", but I really am so sorry about the loss of your precious son. Hugs to you, @catwhisperer.

Esteemed Contributor

@shortbreadlover salaries and benefits haven't kept up with the cost of buying a home, or higher education, creating real disparities in wealth that did not exist in the 50s-70s.  i believe it is because of the changes in the capital markets.  credit became more available than salaries and the people accepted debt instead of fighting for higher wages.  New careers were created making financial instruments instead of manufacturing, and the financial rewards went to folks in these careers and those who cater to them...

Respected Contributor

I thought I'd mention that our Vets make up a long percentage of the homeless. So Sad!

Respected Contributor

Life is very short and very precious.

Until people make other people the priority (not profits or wealth, not things, not fame or status), until we as a world can adequately provide for all in a thoughtful and compassionate way, we will always have those that suffer and have less.

Noone can predict a weather disaster, or accident, or major illness, or mental health need, or an addiction, or any other potential challenge.

We are somewhat lucky in our country that at least there are a variety of supports and resources available for the homeless and others, as compared to other nations where people die every day of starvation.

As many have posted, there but for the grace of God could go I....

Those of us who are blessed in life should always remember:

To whom much is givenmuch will be required (Luke 12:48).

Honored Contributor

I almost didn't open this thread for fear of it being a place where people denigrate others for their situations. I can't tell you how heartened I am to find just the opposite.

I don't have an answer; heck, our officials who work in this field are overwhelmed and also not sure of how to proceed.

It has to be a multi-pronged approach that covers shelter, food, addiction, and medical needs, especially for the vast number of homeless people who suffer from some type of mental illness.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I do volunteer work in a soup kitchen and in my experience, most of the homeless who come in to eat have some kind of mental illness.  Some were/are alcoholics or drug addicts.  Most are male.  Some lost lucrative jobs or careers from their addictions.  Some have dealt with a lifetime of mental health problems.  They are both young and old.  Some have suffered trauma and loss.  I do think there is a tipping point when the brain is adversely affected and there is little chance of recovery for these people.  However we do have a responsibility to make sure they have adequate food, clothing and shelter.  We fall far short of providing these things to the homeless.  Many prefer to be on the streets rather than to go into the horrific housing offered to them.  I know where I live most of the multiple dwelling homes are owned by slum lords who milk the Section 8 housing laws.  I could go on, but you get the picture.

Respected Contributor

@Jaspersmom ...thank you for caring and the volunteer work that you do.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it's political