Trusted Contributor

Hello, sweet kindred. I can only quickly scan your posts for now. 

@LurkyLoo, my prayers are with your dear friend, Elaine as she receives full care in the new facility. God-willing she will return home among her loving friends in time. 

I love your wreath! Gwen is such a lucky girl. Knowing her, she'll deeply appreciate both of those gifts.

One of those counter top ovens would come in so handy during holidays and family gatherings. May add it to my own wish list. I'm thinking you will find something appropriate for her fiancé at the Smithsonian store. 

Thank you and all here for your prayers for Selah. They succeeded in removing two nasal polyps, and performed the endoscopic sinus surgery. Slightly enlarged the drainage pathways of her paranasal sinuses to improve ventilation.

There is some discomfort, bloody drainage, bruising and minor swelling. Or as she says, her face “looks like a bloated road map!” (It doesn’t look nearly that bad.😉) She has to lay back with an ice pack, constantly replace the gauze, take the antibiotic for 2-4 weeks and pain pills for up to 7 days. She does not handle those well. They cause nausea and constipation, so she prefers Advil. Can’t blame her, as vomiting would complicate things significantly. She sends her love, and yes, Joy - we are all so happy for Josh and Becky! Our father says too, “clearly meant to be.” ❤️

@DeLaney, I love chai when I can find star anise. Thank you for the simple recipe! 

@Q-Anu, my mother much prefers the original Poldark series which aired on Masterpiece Theater in the 70s. You can buy it on DVD for around $40.

853FB0E2-C10C-47B4-9127-19BE62432B14.jpeg

Like you, I will watch it after the finale of this, the final season of the current remake series. 

On episode 2, I wasn’t sure, but it seemed to me that Elizabeth - through the old family friends - rigged the election against George. Now why would she do that, and then initiate intimacy with him? So soon after suggesting “they” have a second child? They are going to London and now, so is Ross - who'll be separated from Demelza. 😉 Exit Hugh, but I smell the old triangle resurfacing. Or at least, an attempt to seduce Ross again. The actor playing the repulsive vicar is the 💩! Have to hand it to him ... he owns the role. Morweena's little sister has his number, though! 

Happy belated birthday to your DD, @snappyfrappy! Hope she enjoys her celebratory lunch - rushed as it must be. I understand all too well her dilemma and am praying for her guidance. Should she decide to retire from public school teaching, I'm sure there are many fine private academies that would welcome her, even part time. I took a pay cut, but couldn’t be happier and more at peace in my current position. It is well with my soul. Just a thought. It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. 😉

Walking on the patio or even to and fro along a hallway is better than nothing. Keeps your circulation going and your joints mobile. Winona was down to that for a time. Just be careful you don’t fall. Maybe take your strolls while DD is home. Enjoy your family gathering on the 28th! Our prayers continue for you and Shirley. 

And for all in the pathway of Michael. Deeply appreciate your prayers for us. I'm grateful that our kin and friends that may have been most in harm's way again are yet here with us. Cat 4 now and making landfall in FL. 🙏🏼

Love and Peace of Grace to All, 

-Rowan ☔️

Trusted Contributor

DDA04561-8F3D-44E7-B944-762B557F383C.jpeg

Including @LurkyLoo's friends in Pensacola, and @MsLomo who I believe lives further south than our other friends here out east. May it bypass you! ❤️

Thankful it's moving fast and the more heavily populated Panama City Beach didn’t take a direct hit. Still it's very powerful—worst storm to ever hit the region. 175 MPH wind gusts.13' storm surge and the eye is holding. Lagoons drained. 😳

Will be watching with all of you in GA, SC, NC and VA. Hoping it doesn’t dump more water in the already flooded areas as it passes your way. 

Prayers for you, too, @SelahG! (TY for the update, @Rowan72!) Your beautiful face will be fine as you heal from the surgery. Behave yourself out there! 😈 

Prayers ongoing for @snappyfrappy and family, as well as @gloriajean's husband and daughter. 

Will email you, Lurky on the gift ideas. Tell me something of his interests and tastes, please.

Calling tonight, Joy! 🤗 

Check back with you all here soon. 

—Marcia ❤️

Trusted Contributor

621E9376-AA21-490E-B4CB-816545D82103.jpeg

Been keeping up with the storm on TWC, off and on all evening. It sure left a huge mess in FL. Seems to have been sitting and spinning over GA for a very long time. Relieved it's downgraded to a tropical storm, but the flood and tornado risks are still there. 🙏 

Joy, the cone shows it exiting approximately through Assateague, but if your DD and her team can still leave on Monday, it should be long gone. I say “should” since they're more unruly than ever. 

It cooled down a lot here. I think it has most everywhere. Hope your parts of CA has too, Snappy and Issy. 

Snappy, my family prayed for Shirley and we're hoping to hear that she got an excellent report from the oncologist.

I thought it might have been you who watched the original Poldark in the 70s.... it was someone here who mentioned it during a previous season. Must have been Hilo. Sorry for my confusion, and oh yeah.... the vicar has met his match in the cunning SIL! Makes me glad.

I remember that my daughter once dressed up for Halloween as a fluffy snow owl! It was very cute, but all those feathers - and then the red eyes and sneezing. 😅 She was 6 or so. Her brother was always into the action heroes - Batman, Spiderman, etc. I’m glad Star was spared the pumpkin rash this year. Tee-hee! She's the happier little wise owl. 

Lurky I agree with Agnes, that a smaller oven - or just an air fryer would better suit Gwen. Marian, before she lost their house in the Houston flooding, used to love to cook. In fact, she gave me lots of great recipes. When she moved into this apartment it had the gas range. It's a nice enough one, but she has a fear of “lighting” it. That's why I chose the larger model for her to use, until hopefully, she can afford to move into a house with an electric range. Happy for you that your kitchen is complete now! 

Agnes and Rowan, thanks! I went ahead and ordered the original series on DVD. 

Poor Selah - it must be miserable. I have always heard the sinus surgery is during recovery. 

5FB2BBEE-9E9F-413E-9191-FC762AF57BA8.jpeg

Love and Hugs to All. 

Stay safe!

Anu 🌜

Trusted Contributor

Thanks, ladies. I'm OK. The bridge of my nose is swollen to about twice its normal width and I sound like Rudolph. For some reason, my eyes are blurry, too. Anesthesia? The headache is gone and the drainage is clearing up. Just hope this works, and I'm waiting to see the bill after the insurance covers what it will. 

0C7439B2-6DA6-4AD1-8040-536E28211A83.jpeg

5425C6BA-637A-4492-9AE7-23BD92163D1E.gifCritters are as confused by the weather as we are. I'll take anything over spiders and snakes, though. Except crocodiles! 

I do wonder, too, about the red tide — toxic algae spores — being picked up off the coast of FL, and spread like a plague raining down everywhere. We already have Fukushima's nuclear waste in the Pacific. “Wormwood” comes to mind. 

Snappy, we treat organically for insects, too, but with all this rain ... little point. Today we're getting lashed with wind driven downpours. The remnants of Michael. Flash-flood and tornado warnings. Worse to the SE of us where they were still trying to recover from Florence.

My heart goes out to the Floridians that lost everything. Mexico Beach looks like it was hit by a nuke. 😰 I truly hope most had time to evacuate, but I know we'll be hearing of more lives lost. There was an urgent msg going out on Twitter yesterday from a lady pleading for someone to save her elderly, disabled sister there. She lived 300 miles away and couldn’t get to her in time. The sister lived in a trailer with no car. I can’t stop thinking about her. I prayed to God that someone got her out in time and retweeted the msg far and wide. I know the Cajun Navy were on the scene. This morning I saw on the news one trailer park destroyed down to the slabs, as were many houses and businesses. 

It sounds like your DD will be in a very good position to take retirement after June. That is good, if that is what she wants to do. Realize she is still young, but she can always work part-time, as Rowan suggested, or volunteer somewhere. I miss being able to work more directly with Habitat for Humanity due to my spine. Thankful I can do what I can for those on the local reservation, until Lord willing, they are liberated. Any word from Shirley yet? 🙏

Gloriajean, my family is holding yours closely in our daily prayers. Any improvement in your husband? I had terrible sciatica with spinal stenosis and two blown disks that required two surgeries. Then PT, followed by pool therapy that I still take at our local Y. I will always have stenosis, but I work to manage it. There are special cushions your husband can sit on that may bring him temporary relief. For a while I had to sleep sitting on one in my recliner. Getting in and out of bed became impossible. Way too painful. God be with L and you! 🙏

Ladies who are shopping ... are you having trouble with this site today? I wanted to order a couple of the Dennis Basso throws, but can't. Guess I will have to try calling. 

BRB ... 

Trusted Contributor

At least that still works. 2 more gifts down. 

Winona really wants one of these ... 

38E2342C-8FA1-4A3B-A532-35293C851402.jpeg

Because she and our father actually prefers coffee perked in one. Unbelievably, I found one that looks good on eBay, but Rowan and I both have the glass top ranges in our kitchens. I'm sure this would fuse to those. 😳 Not good! So I'm looking for a hot plate that Winona can use on her kitchenette bar before I commit to buying this. Something small to fit beside this: 

3F00932D-F604-4883-BA60-C4466139F4E3.jpeg

She's been wanting a glass tea brewer, so I ordered this one by KitchenAid. I thought of you, Lurky, since you so love tea, too! Here's the description: 

Tea lovers, take note! The KitchenAid electric teakettle heats water to the ideal steeping temperature for your preferred variety of tea. The clear glass globe reveals the tea brewing process in action, and the steeper is easily removable so your tea doesn't oversteep. A handy steeper holder keeps counters clean from drips.

* Five specialty tea settings: Warm, Green, White, Oolong, Black and Herbal.

* Temperature selector on base ensures water is heated to the ideal temperature for steeping, preserving each tea's unique flavors and aromas.

* Brews loose-leaf teas or tea bags.

* Automatically goes into Warm mode after heating cycle to keep tea at optimal drinking temperature of 70 degrees F for 30 minutes.

* Removable stainless-steel steeper includes a portable holder to keep counter drip-free.

Then, I recalled Gwen telling Tanya that she loves stir-fry, too. You might also consider an electric wok for her. I believe I got Tanya's here last year, but they are sold most anywhere, including W-S. 

I already have this Throwback Popcorn Maker: 

7B83F5B7-6D93-4E52-BCC5-985BD3111476.jpeg

... as one of her gifts for this year. She loves organic popcorn while watching TV. Maybe Gwen's fiancé would like this for date nights? Description: 

Throwback Stir Stick Popcorn Maker

Movie night is more fun with freshly popped popcorn served retro-style. This electric popcorn maker has a motorized stir stick to ensure that all kernels are popped to a fluffy consistency and tossed evenly in butter.

* Makes 5 qt. popcorn.

* Butter-melting tray melts butter during popping for even distribution.

* Motorized stirring rods rotate for even popping.

* BPA-free plastic cover doubles as serving bowl.

* Heat-resistant side handles for safe carrying.

* Unit nests inside bowl and cord wraps underneath for compact storage.

I didn’t get the NN blanket, because our brother is having her a quilt made in the tribal pattern. I'm looking at robes ... Did you get the CZJ ones, Agnes? They are pretty, but I prefer those that zip up. Going to look locally before I decide. Besides ... our local economy can use the support after these storms.  

Be back later, ladies! 

-Selah 😘

Trusted Contributor

Hi, friends! Commute home was rough as the outer bands of the storm have arrived. Harder winds and rain than we saw here from Florence. Lost power once for 30 minutes so far. Thankful for the generator system. Flooding is major down in Roanoke. Joy's relatives from there are up here staying with her. 

Glad to see most of you are okay in your areas, too. I hope MsLomo didn't have to evacuate, but is safe and comfy either way. 🙏 

Keep resting and healing, Selah. I love that popcorn maker! Will look for it later. 

❤️ from Agnes 

Trusted Contributor

PS: no, I got the HSN robe for my mom. 

Trusted Contributor

Hello Snappy and TO all of YOU reading this !! MY how the days fly by, we our into fall here and NO i'm not ready for it, Temps in the 50's at night, but sunny and warm today.. i have been Busy Sorting threw Pictures and Saving them on C-D's.. My Hubby and i were in the " Cruise Night " Friday Evening and Night.. WE led the Parade Behind The Police in A Car and 2 State Police on Harley Davison Motorcycles, and WE were behind them, as WE Had Flags on Our " Maybelle Corvette " with the Top Down, and I Had On MY Elvis Hawaiian Dress with his Pictures on it and The Hawaiian Flowers around my Neck, and Glitter Shoes, and My Hubby had on the Elvis Hawaiian Shirt On.. we had a Blast and Weather Perfect.. Yes Snappy these Babies our growing up so fast.. My Hubby is still Working at 83 he is not Slowing Down.. So Good To Read all the Chats from everyone, and YES I sent Prayers out to all the People in Harms WAY of the Hurricane.. 

Well i won't bore you and i will return and read all the chats, and Remember my Thoughts our with each and everyone of YOU.. GOOD NIGHT and Stay SAFE.. 

Respected Contributor

@cute t wrote:

Hello Snappy and TO all of YOU reading this !! MY how the days fly by, we our into fall here and NO i'm not ready for it, Temps in the 50's at night, but sunny and warm today.. i have been Busy Sorting threw Pictures and Saving them on C-D's.. My Hubby and i were in the " Cruise Night " Friday Evening and Night.. WE led the Parade Behind The Police in A Car and 2 State Police on Harley Davison Motorcycles, and WE were behind them, as WE Had Flags on Our " Maybelle Corvette " with the Top Down, and I Had On MY Elvis Hawaiian Dress with his Pictures on it and The Hawaiian Flowers around my Neck, and Glitter Shoes, and My Hubby had on the Elvis Hawaiian Shirt On.. we had a Blast and Weather Perfect.. Yes Snappy these Babies our growing up so fast.. My Hubby is still Working at 83 he is not Slowing Down.. So Good To Read all the Chats from everyone, and YES I sent Prayers out to all the People in Harms WAY of the Hurricane.. 

Well i won't bore you and i will return and read all the chats, and Remember my Thoughts our with each and everyone of YOU.. GOOD NIGHT and Stay SAFE.. 

Hi, cute! 👋 It's always great to see you here ~ never boring! Perish the thought. 

Thanks for checking in, sharing the fun and excitement you had in the Cruising parade, and your sweet thoughts and prayers. 

Glad your weather has been so nice! Are you getting ready for Halloween? My grandkids are looking forward to Harvest parties, the costumes and mainly... the treats! 🍭

169DE6CB-A512-4D4E-8C72-BC867F8BA674.gif

Blessings to you and your precious family. Come again soon. You always bring the cheer! 

~Joy 💛

Respected Contributor

Snappy ~ hope you're feeling better now from the UTI and the arthritis pain. I laughed at your “puckering” with the cranberry juice! Some of it is so tart, my eyes go crossed, too. I may try some of Lurky's tea. That way I can sweeten it up with a drop or two of our own honey. That (local honey) helps with my pollen allergies, too. Win-win! 

Any rain there yet? We went to bed with Michael howling and thrashing, but... voilà! Awoke to a beautiful sunrise. 🌅 Clear, azure skies; light breeze and topping off at 65°. We have an octagon window in our side entrance foyer that sprung a little leak. Luckily we saw that before turning in and stuffed a towel there. Will have to seal it this weekend. I wish everyone had gotten off with only minor repairs. 😰 Parts of the panhandle lie in ruins. 11 deaths so far... 

My Roanoke BIL and SIL are with us for the weekend. They live on a high hill, but were rapidly being trapped up there by the already high and rising river. Eerie feeling being trapped! We are pleased to have them ~ safe and sound.

Called my neice last night down outside of New Bern and they had had to evacuate again! She said, “aunt Joy... it may be time to relocate and write that series of childrens books.” She is very talented with that ~ even created little hand puppets to go with the stories. She teaches elementary school, like your DD, but there's been no school there since Florence. Her husband's family is in PA, so between here and there, further inland at a higher elevation might be best. They are young and resilient, but even so... starting over and over with 4 children just gets old. 

Nothing at all wrong with marching on the patio in the vitamin D emitting sunshine! ☀️ We have the wrap around porches on 3/4s of our house. I did the march out there, while my feet healed, sweeping as I went. Keeps us limber and the birds serenade us. I heard and then saw a huge flock of geese heading south this morning. Surest sign of cooler weather to come. 

Isn't that something...? Celebrex apparently ceases bone spur growth! I didn’t know that. Can your DD1 not stay on it? Maybe it's what I need, too. I join you in prayer over her precious eyesight. 

As Anu correctly guessed, my DD and the team are leaving for Assateague Island National Seashore right on schedule, early Monday morning. The Autumn Woodland themed wedding will go as planned tomorrow, too. I'm relieved for the sweet couple and their guests. I'll take Gracie with me and we'll linger in the background with the bride's permission. That child would never miss any wedding anywhere, if she had her druthers! Her mommy is having a painful lupus flare, and her daddy has to work. 

Of course this is a painful time of year for you as your loss of your DH is even more profound. Memories trigger grief time and again. This mortal separation is terrible until you blessedly meet again. I visit and take donations to a dear soul who is 94. She lost her DH 20 years ago, and her grief is still often palpable. Just right there below the surface, like an open, raw wound. I have heard her endearing stories of how they met, their courtship, the wedding on a ship, etc. dozens of times, but I listen with fresh ears and a full heart. Her photo albums are falling apart. She doesn’t use or want a computer, so I bought her new albums and will help her put them together. She enjoys leaving those on the coffee table and sharing them with visitors. She still keeps the old dog-eared Bible that the ship's captain gave them as a wedding gift, right there beside the albums. I wish she had family to visit her, but... we'll stand in the gap. No one should ever feel forgotten in Christ. 💜

Yes, dear one... should you ever need more support at home, I trust your daughters will see to that. You won’t be neglected. It was made somewhat more difficult in my mother's case, due to her personality traits, but then... as I've told you in the past; I was always the one she leaned on, even as a young child. Conditioned to it, and I gave her my word that I would be with her through the end. Thanks to grace and my husband’s support (or I couldn’t have!) I was able to keep my word. It matters to me and my own conscience, though some didn’t seem to understand that. Inadvertently, it led to me learning book-keeping, payroll, tax law and filing and computer programming/website building in courses from home, while I cared for her. It was during this time I met you! Will was by then beginning his heating and air business, and I helped to manage that and manned the phone. This all prepared me for my current job duties which bring me such joy.

The Lord provided opportunities, and LOVE through Becky and others from the church who came to help us. They ran errands, helped with our kids and the chores while I cared for Momma. I wouldn’t change a thing, other than her suffering, but even that has passed away. Have to remind myself of that when the flashes come that pierce my heart. I know you understand. ❤️ We await the greatest Family Reunion of all, as the age of grace is passing away before our eyes. Keep looking up!

Take care and stay...

4B8A2A30-1E3E-4FEF-BDBB-F6198277BC0D.jpeg

You are loved! 

~Joy 💛