Esteemed Contributor

Praying for all on the prayer list here!  Thanks for keeping Darla and her twins on!  Also would you add my sister, Ethel, 92, on the prayer list? She has sciatic nerve so bad and in so much pain, on warfarin so can't have aspirin etc. but is now going having acupuncture done, Please help us pray that this helps her.  With warfarin, surgery is a great risk especially at her age.  My daugther, Lori, passed her boards and just completed her first week as a Nurse in Rehab.  She is working nights, 7 PM to 7 Am.  three nights a week and every third weekend.  Would you add her in prayer for her job to be able to keep this up?  She seems to like it, but it's all new to you.  She doesn't work far from where we live, and sometimes stops in on her way home for a cup of coffee and visit.  May God in His Mercy grant all the prayer requests, and answer them all according to His Holy Will. His Will is the best!  

Trusted Contributor

Hi, friends. 💛 I have been following along, but have had little time or energy left in the late evenings for posting. We are all doing okay, though. Darrell’s last test results showed some healing of the ulcers in his stomach lining. He sure is bored of the bland diet, but it is what it is. (I do believe he cheats a bit while working!) We are all very excited for the get together beginning this weekend with some of you here. I dare say that Jacob is hyper-excited, but he will calm down (I hope) once things get underway. He doesn’t cope well with anticipation. Like @WaJa61 said, we'll have a group prayer service for all of you and your loved ones at the Cove. “Where two or more are gathered in my name...” 

I also offer this music video, “My Prayer For You”:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hj_0pvIGkks

With my thanks for all of your prayers for my family.

((( @HiLo ))) and ((( @snappyfrappy )))... we are all here for you, and trusting in the Lord to bring you through these most difficult times. 

88D801E4-DC22-4907-8184-478E40321007.gif

You're welcome, @MsLomo! 💛 I've had no real news to share anyway, so thought it more helpful to update our prayer list as @HiLo requested. She is always thinking of others, regardless of what is happening in her own life. I think that's true of all the ladies here, and it's one reason I love and respect you all so much. I sure do learn a lot, too!

The passage of time.... when I stop and look back, in my own case, these must be my “good old days” I'll look back on and feel nostalgic for later. Not that I'm very young! I'll be 46 next month. It's just that the first half (God-willing, if I should live long) of my life was much harder. I know, as Hilo says; harder times are yet to come, too. Just the hard facts of life, but somewhere in my mid 20s I came to the (wrongful) conclusion that this (earth) was actually h e l l. That's how wretched my life was, and I minored in world religious studies in college. Most agree that this life, its temptations and this world, ruled by evil, must be overcome. So, if not h e l l itself, a kind of purgatory to earn our way out of. How blind I was and hopeless! I can never thank Jesus enough, or those (many right here) who helped to encourage me through faith. Some things we have to see in order to believe, but with the main thing, we have to believe in order to see. It wasn’t until I got that, that my life changed for the better. 

A long time ago, Marcia started a thread here, called “Deep Thoughts and Light Hearts.” It was mostly quotes, graphics - both inspiring and funny. A bit of fashion and a few recipes, too. We also chatted in between. I really enjoyed that. It went on for about a year until the novelty wore off, but as corny as the title was (Marcia agreed), I still think it's an important attitude to have. Embrace joy and beauty in life and never stop growing - even through pain. Now I believe that this (middle-earth) is a kind of school, located between heaven and h e l l - certainly not being either. Laughter is vital! I remember your stories about FLO, so if you want to reminisce since she isn’t here with us, go right ahead. Keeping a balance in life (when possible) is healthy. I mostly laugh at myself lately - klutz that I am. I got the lawn tractor stuck on a low tree stump the other day. Sat there panicking with wood chips flying for moments when all I had to do was lift the blades up by a handle. Engine  started smoking before I snapped to. I could have started a forest fire! 😳 I'm the least mechanical person in the world. Machines and me just don’t mix - including sewing machines. Bravo to @Issy379's SIL! Sewing is a skill I'd love to learn, since so many of my clothes need altering. 

@LurkyLoo - thanks for the tip! I ordered one of Martha's tees in light pink. Still waiting for it, and I hope they will go on sale soon. I'll get more, since her things hold up so well. I bought 3 tees at Macy's and after washing them (in cold water) they shrunk lengthwise. I can wear them while gardening or around the house, but they're too short otherwise. 

@gloriajean - it's good to see you here. I have been wondering how everything is there with you and yours. I'll be happy to edit in your newest prayer requests. I'm glad Lori has the position she wanted and it's close to home, too. I know how hard it is to adjust to the night shift, though - plus a new job anywhere. God be with your sister - 92 - wow! But it’s too bad she can't have the surgery that could help her. @HiLo gets a lot of relief for her ailments through acupuncture. I hope Ethel will, too. 

💛 to all from Agnes

Trusted Contributor

🙏🏻 Updated Prayer List:

—Cute's granddaughter-in-law who is being treated for thyroid cancer. Also her daughter, who recently recovered from a stroke.

—Snappy's sister, Shirley (urgent—cancer has now spread to her brain and treatments have failed against this very aggressive type), and her pastor's wife for healing from cancer. Snappy herself, as she struggles to deal with and support them both. Relief from her incurable bladder condition with chronic infections and some depression. Her youngest daughter who must decide when it's best to retire from teaching. She worries about leaving Snappy alone while she works. May the Lord guide her and provide her with answers.

—Issy and family during their grief at the loss of her brother, J.M. and two cousins. Also her dear friend and neighbor, Joan who is under hospice care.

—MsLomo's husband who suffers from severe balance issues and other serious health problems. MsLomo and their son as they care for and support him. May the Lord grant them strength.

—Joy's DIL, Suz' being treated for lupus, and their family as they care for and support her. Joy's younger sister suffering some complications following rotator cuff surgery. Their aunt, Cynthia whose overall health is in decline as she is making her final plans. Compassionate care and relief from much suffering. Cynthia's eldest daughter who is her mother's primary caregiver and under much stress.

—Gloria's daughter, Darla for healing and an end to severe pain from EDS. Also protective prayers for Darla's twin girls. May they both be spared this disorder. Gloria's daughter, Lori for endurance as she adjusts to her new nursing job at night. Gloria's sister, Ethel (92) with severe sciatic nerve pain. Her age and medication makes surgery too risky. May she find safe relief through acupuncture.

—LadyAnn who is mourning the loss of her much beloved dog, Toby. 

—Ruth Ann who suffers with advancing RA and CHF. Her cousin's young daughter, Erin diagnosed with RA and must seek different employment.

—Hilo's brother, Don who suffers with advancing MS. He awaits in faith, the results from recent surgery. Her son, Rob—also having surgery to remove cancerous tumors from his thyroid that has spread to his lymph nodes and lungs. Hilo, herself, for good health. courage and strength through grace, as she helps support and care for him. Her grandson, Ryan, as his emotional difficulties increase. Her dear niece who suffers from blindness and has now been diagnosed with lupus.

—Agnes' mother who continues to suffer with severe pain from osteoarthritis, mobility issues and reoccurring cysts. Also her dear friend, Michelle and family for comfort and strength as they mourn the loss of baby Martin. Giving thanks for her and her daughter's safe shelter and support through loving sponsors! Agnes' special needs son, Jacob who struggles with some classes in school, making his Autism symptoms worse. Agnes' husband, Darrell who is being treated for a hiatal hernia and stomach ulcers.  

—Selah and Rowan's youngest brother, Nosh and his troubled girlfriend. May she be moved to seek the psychological help she needs.

—Marcia's father-in-law, who has developed prediabetes. BabyGirl's birth mother, who suffered a setback - and this precious foster child in the care of her grandmother, Marcia and Mike. Marcia's dad, Owen who soon faces knee surgery and is prone to further aneurysms.

—Jubilant who is going through some of life's difficulties, and must be away from these boards for a time. Giving thanks to the Lord that her situation is improving!

Thank you, and please add any other petitions that come to mind. God bless and keep you all. 🙏🏻 

Trusted Contributor

Thank you, @agnesann for updating the prayer requests, and for that beautiful, uplifting song! Just what I needed. It has been one of those days ... 

image.jpg

And a word to the wise: 

image.jpg

I will get myself a cordless vacuum, if it's the last thing I do!

Though the grass grows as fast as @cute_t's used to, we can't even keep our property mowed. Too soggy! But I hope you didn't damage the lawn tractor during your mishap. I'm thinking of getting a few goats, as @Issy379 spoke of. Can't stand it when the grass gets too tall and thick, because snakes could be hiding in it, especially around the pond. Do they eat perch, I wonder? Luke stocked it recently. Nothing like fried perch! 😍

@HiLo: this Stone Age site is so tiring to post to, because the software sux! It's like trying to hit a moving target while blindfolded. I only bother at all to stay in touch with those I love here. Let the tears flow when they come -- it's a healthy release. God knows my prayers are with you and Rob. I will write you soon. Thank you for sharing both the miracle of your granddaughter's inspiring transition to Heaven, and Donna's healing. Important to remember that miracles do still happen daily, though we seldom hear about them. May your strength and courage be renewed daily. Take it all, one day at a time. It is enough. 

@snappyfrappy: praying you receive relief from your own symptoms and strength enough to spend precious time with Shirley. I am so very sorry that the cancer is so aggressive and the treatments can no longer help her. Just check in here when you feel like it -- one brief note to all. We understand and love you as always. 

Hello, @MsLomo: thank you for telling me who Lurky's man was! D'uh, me! I often feel nostalgic, too. I don't think my past times were much lighter, but I definitely could deal with more hardships a lot easier back then. Ahh, youth and blessed estrogen. 

I have a good, simple recipe for those who like to grill out. Luke is out there now, about to flip it. No pans to wash, ladies! Using paper plates, too. Then doing nothing else, but chilling with the TV this evening. 

I'll try to check back again with you before KS-Fest, or possibly during. Will be thinking of and praying for you all either way. 

-Selah 😘

Trusted Contributor

Grilled Butter Garlic Steak & Potato Foil Pack Dinner

image.jpg

Ingredients:

2 1/2 lbs sirloin steak, fat trimmed and chopped into 2" pieces
1 lb baby potatoes, quartered, boiled for 3-4 minutes, drained & cooled
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter, melted & cooled
salt & pepper, to taste
2 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried thyme
pinch fresh rosemary leaves
fresh thyme leaves, for garnish (option)

Instructions:

To a large mixing bowl, add the steak, oil, butter, salt, pepper, oregano, parsley, dried thyme, and rosemary leaves. Using a spatula, stir gently until everything is evenly combined and coated.

Separate and spread out 4 12x12 sheets of aluminum foil. Divide the steak and potato mixture evenly out onto the center of each foil sheet. Wrap the foil up tightly around the contents of the packets, seal them well.

Over high heat, grill the foil packets for 10-12 minutes. Flip and grill an additional 10-12 minutes.

Respected Contributor

Hello, everyone on this windy Friday. Seems the storms have subsided, other than leaving some gusts behind. They've blown off the worst of the humidity for now. A good thing. Should dry things out, too. Those of you who need to mow your lawns... I hope this helps! If you have to wait another week, you can bale it for hay after our little vacation! 😜

@SelahG, I think snakes only eat dead fish, as a last resort. Your perch should be fine there. I'd worry more about predator birds and stray cats. Thanks for the easy, tasty recipe! Have you looked at the Bissell Cordless AirRam vac? That's a pretty good one. James picked it up at Lowe’s and I've used it over there, when helping Suz' tidy up. I'm no authority on these things, but I don't think that's how you're supposed to use your Stress Relief lotion. 😉😆 What a mess! 

😅 @agnesann, what did Darrell say when you got stuck on the stump with his new lawn tractor? I'd tell him, I was making mulch for my flower beds! ****** happens... I love that song ~ TY! You know... it does seem that the fall of man was into the realm between Heaven and H e l l. I remember struggling to understand why God would create us here in the company of Satan and the other fallen angels. For some reason we must be tried and have our faith tested. Prayerfully, not as thoroughly as poor Job. You've come a long way, baby! Overcome so much through grace. 💜

@gloriajean, thanks for dropping by! How are the twins? I'll be honored to add Lori and Ethel to my prayers. Thank you for praying for us. I hope Linus continues to do well post surgery for his sciatica. 

@Rowan72, how nice for your aunt and uncle that things are going so well with their new property! They deserve some satisfaction and peace after all they’ve been through with their old family house, the flooding, etc. May they enjoy many happy, healthy years there. I can't wait for watermelon (and cantaloupe) season either! I can make a meal off either. 😋 

@MsLomo, I'm glad you enjoyed Jax's enthusiasm! He is a delight ~ if you can keep up with him. Speaking of the passage of time... His dad, Caleb, our youngest gave us a run for it when he was that age and beyond. I thought that was tough back then. Shooo... I don't have the vim and vigor that I once did. Nothing quite like grandkids to prove our age to us. Otherwise, though, I know what you mean... I get very nostalgic when looking at old photos. It's so bittersweet, the memories they bring to the surface. I sit and laugh through tears. Kind of like when I visit the old neighborhood back in Richmond where I grew up. It's true... you never can go home again, other than in our minds, because everything is always changing. Thankfully, in some instances for the better, but we still feel like we've lost a hunk of ourselves when things don't match our memories. We need a time traveling machine! Whoosh ~ a little visit now and again to our best memories. 💞 

Like you, I enjoy each and every posting friend here! I so appreciate them taking the time (and effort on this clunky site) to drop in when possible. I count you each a blessing ~ my life is richer for knowing you all. Thank you for your prayers. Mine are always with you and your family, too. 💜

Dear, Hilo... 😔 I'm sorry to hear the news isn’t as good on Rob as it seemed. I'll watch for your email and pray the surgery goes well. Step by step with such a battle, and through the summer heat, too. I'm asking for Christ's glory to be made manifest through your son, too. Trusting, despite all odds.

What a blessing that Donna remains MS symptom-free all these years later! Your family has gained the privilege of loving the grandson, and now your two great grandchildren through this miracle! I praise His holy name and give humble thanks. I appreciate you sharing this lesson, even as you face the unknown with Rob now.

All your tears are counted as love, which is a most wonderful, yet vulnerable thing. It takes tremendous courage to love completely. We expose our hearts to such fears, disappointments, pain, losses, grief... We couldn’t experience any of that if we didn’t choose to open our hearts to loving. Yet, it's worth it beyond all measure, for if we have not love to give... all else is worthless. (1 Cor. 13) 

Any loving mother would be feeling as you do, even though we know our children, like ourselves, belongs to God first and foremost. Gifts, placed in our care. What a challenge ~ ultimate test ~ to not love them selfishly. 

Be gentle with yourself, dear friend and sister. I hope all this stress doesn’t make your digestive issues worse. 

🙏💜🙏 

Dear, Snappy ~ you know my thoughts and prayers are with you and Shirley. Your entire family. I'll be back here to check on you and all our friends in a week or so. We are leaving for N.C. in the morning to meet up with the KS ladies and their families. Take it easy if you're traveling to Shirley's. I know it's a long and hard trip for you. Very emotional. So thankful your DD will be with you. 💜

Have a peaceful, safe and beautiful weekend, friends.

337423FA-AEA6-44FB-9AD4-DF74C6DC5232.jpeg

Love and tender blessings, 

~Joy 💜

Respected Contributor

Dear, dear Ms.Lomo.....how is your hubby today?

I think about him and, of course you.

I also miss the old days. Remember Momska? Remember the surfer dude and the rolling icons? The thread of Christmas music with icons? How we communicated for a time just using them? Of course we miss Raeli and Flo. I'd like to hear from them again, but am happy for the time we shared and glad for those who are still here.

I'm looking forward to knowing whether we are going to have a boy or a girl. Hoping for a boy, but Star is such a precious little girl that another one like her would be wonderful.

My sister got her blonde wig today. One of her girls sent me a picture. She looks more like herself. Many years ago she had eye brows and eye liner tattooed (sp) and is so glad since she has lost all her hair including eye lashes.

Her daughter said she is shaky today, but glad to no longer need daily shots. It's so sad. Our half sister whom we barely knew died of cancer in March. She was 68.

It was good to hear from cute recently. She used to be here every day with her sunny self, no matter what was happening. Am grateful for whatever she is able to tell us.

I admire them as parents and grandparents with such a lovely and busy family doing lots of good things for others.

BTW, the bougainvillea is gone, but the AZ garden that took its place is growing really tall. LOTS of beautiful flowers and the hummers are back to drink from them.

We had a warning from the water department that we have a leak somewhere. Well, the plumber came yesterday and found at least 3 leaks in 2 cold water lines.. The plumbing here is under the concrete foundation, so now we have 4 more holes in the LR walls and some in the garage. Nice men who know what they are doing, but it's going to take time. We were given 5 days to address the issue. DD called them yesterday to let them know we are working on it and the approximate date of completion which is the 25th. In the meantime, the water keeps leaking all the time unless we turn it off at the main which we can do at night. We had plans to finally get the patio cover fixed, but this is very expensive and has to be done. So thankful it's while DD is on vacation.

I'm feeling pretty good at this moment. Still some burning and itching, but manageable with OTC things.

Sometimes I get to talk to Star on duo. Her mommy has lost at least 10 pounds during this pregnancy, but the baby is doing well. Star is good at repeating pretty much anything her mom says to her, but doesn't say sentences. She does know who GG is. Sunny is very close to walking alone. Probably by her birthday which is July 3. I feel less stress with DD here. Not concerned about her being torn between me and her need to continue working another year.

We know the Lord will enable us to do what is necessary and will provide. He always has.

I would love to go to Marie Callendar's with you and have chicken pot pie and then real pie!!  Thank you for your friendship and kindness as a "pocket protector" and here. You are loved also, and your hubby and your dear son.

snappy Heart

Respected Contributor

Dear Issy, it's doing my heart good today to see messages from you and MsLomo and more to come.

Thank you for the update on your east coast friend.

And the news of your SIL. The days of buying any sort of appliance or tool and just plugging it in and using it are gone. Now we have to watch tutorials and sometimes attend classes. I still am not completely sure how to turn on the oven on the stove we have. But in your SIL's case, as you say, it's helpful in more than one way. I'm happy she is doing better. Grief ebbs and flows, but time truly does help. I know having all of the family supporting her is very important.

We had some very warm weather also, but now we have what we call "June gloom". It looks as if it might rain, but probably won't.

Oh boy, a new place to find great jewelry!! Enjoy.

snappy Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Hi Delaney, (((hugs))) to you also! Thank you for your understanding and kind words. My sister and I are nearly 7 years apart in age, so while I remember us sharing a bedroom and being together, we weren't really all that close. She was 12 when I got married. When our mother passed away in 1986, we were drawn closer. Sometimes she was the person I needed to talk with the most. In some ways she has had a very hard life. She's way more social than I'll ever be, but that's okay. I don't think I would have had all the treatments she's had, but unless faced with it, we can't be sure what we would do. She has lots of side effects from the chemo. Some vision loss, neuropathy, balance problems, aches, etc. The son who is still holding a grudge has been posting little things to her like "I love you". My DD saw that on facebook. Sis hasn't mentioned it, but I'd think it would be nice.

She has 4 cats and 2 dogs which she dearly loves, otherwise, I think it would be easier for her to move in with her daughter, but that day may come anyway. She could keep the dogs. They are very small and are brothers.

I'm sure it was very hard for you when your brother was ill and after he went Home. It disrupted your educational life, but the Lord had reasons for that as all things.

I'm doing pretty well right now. Grateful this plumbing issue is happening while DD is here. Otherwise, she might need to take some personal days. BTW, the young man who is helping and in the learning process is a believer so we have spoken of the Lord and the other man has heard. So thankful. Want to be fruitful in my old age.

We kept thinking "ollie, ollie oxen free free free". Glad that name lost favor. Both the names they have decided on are uncommon. I've never known anyone with either, and that's what they wanted.

Enjoy your little boy and your time with BG. Thank you for your prayers and love. You are loved also.

snappy Heart

Respected Contributor

Dear HiLo, as I read about your son's thyroid cancer, I realize it's sort of like my son had. Now, DD's was obvious with the lump in the neck, and it had spread to lymph nodes which all had to be removed, but his didn't show in the neck. It was discovered when he had a chest x-ray. It had for some reason grown down. Was the size of a small child. He had his chest cracked like for open heart surgery, but he is just fine now. He has never had the quality after care that DD had and that's an insurance issue.

It's terribly frightening to hear about. I felt like I was floating on the ceiling not knowing what would happen when DD got it, but that was 27 years ago and she is okay. Tires easily, but may have CMT.

I feel pretty sure that your son will be okay in the end. Hope you have doctors who will explain things. If he will allow it, you might go with him to appointments, but then I don't know how close you are to his place.

My sister is another story, of course. They have told her they can't cure this. It's just trying to keep it at bay.

Her son is still working which keeps his routine undisturbed. He is a big help to her. One day he will live with the daughter who is the biggest help to my sister. That has been the plan for years. He's either 46 or 47 and she will be 56 in August.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I just read McGee's brief account of the death of his first born. A little girl. He said all she ever did in her life was cry, and then she was gone and he went out on a balcony and wept and put his hand in the Lord's and wondered why the godless person across the hall was celebrating the birth of a healthy baby boy. Trust and obey is what we are told to do, and it's the only thing that makes sense to me. Not easy, but God is so good, so merciful, so gracious. You will see your little one again.

Have a nice weekend,

snappy Heart