Respected Contributor

Strawberry Lemonade

D7606803-270A-4003-BEAC-9953E4C45470.jpeg

2 cups fresh strawberries
7 cups water, divided
1 cup sugar (or Stevia) or more to taste
2 cups fresh squeezed lemon juice
Sliced strawberries, lemons and mint sprigs for garnish

Combine the sugar with 2 cups of water. Microwave for 2 minutes or heat on the stove until very hot. Stir until sugar is dissolved.

Place the strawberries in a blender with 1 cup of the water. Blend until smooth. 

Combine the strawberry puree, sugar water mixture, lemon juice and remaining 4 cups of water in a pitcher.

Stir thoroughly, then chill until ready to serve. Just before serving, stir in sliced strawberries, lemon and mint sprigs if desired.

Respected Contributor

WATERMELON AGUA FRESCA

8CC8D6B5-69CC-4D54-80B5-F0F564A1084A.jpeg

4 cups cubed watermelon
Juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons sugar
3 cups water divided use
Optional garnishes: coarse sugar, mint sprigs, lime slices, watermelon wedges

Place the watermelon, lime juice, sugar and 1 cup of the water in a blender. Blend until smooth.

Strain the watermelon mixture into a pitcher and discard solids. Add the remaining water to the pitcher and stir to combine. Chill until ready to serve.

For garnishes: if desired, dip the rims of the glasses into a bowl of water then place the glasses, rim side down, onto a plate of coarse sugar and rotate until rims are coated with sugar. Pour agua fresca into the sugar rimmed glasses and top with mint sprigs, lime slices and/or watermelon wedges.

Respected Contributor

Hello Ladies:

Just wanted to check in to thank all of you who have been praying for my brother.....he had surgery about 2 weeks ago but it has not been determined yet what the outcome will be.  He's only displayed a Godly Spirit through all this, never complaining though all the  pain and being confined to the house..  He and I talk a lot about spiritual things and His ultimate purposes though our pain...the more we focus on this kind of thing the more peaceful we become.

Most of you have also heard by now that my son Rob does have thyroid cancer.  This is one of the hardest to diagnose, often no symptoms at all until it is well established.  It wasn't until his weight gain became unreasonable that it was even noticed at all. Don't know all the details yet even though there have been countless tests.  The surgery will be on June 27; Donna will be coming in from Louisiana to be with me and plans to stay for a week; Stephen will also be there with us. Those two are my leaning posts these days....both are strong, capable and willing to help with anything. How blessed I am!

It has actually turned out to be a pleasure to have Lauren and Steve with me all this time; she has helped me with my grocery shopping (my hardest chore) and gotten involved with other little projects around the house. Lauren graduated from Maryland Univ. last month and will be working on her Masters in the fall  She reminds me of Marcia as she's doing it all by working.. Her major is social work which suits her perfectly as she loves to help people.  Ryan seemed better for awhile but things have gotten worse again for him.  He is working part time and now that I know the details I suspect that's all he will be able to do. It's all so sad; there are other factors too that have contributed to his problems.

I'm sure some of you are wondering about dear Verna. It seems that the problem that I had spoken of before has worked itself out and she is her usual self; such a caring.upbeat person.  She spoke of how her Mom had followed a TV preacher in prayer and my son's illness came immediately to mind as she began to pray.  As it turned out that was the very day the peace of God took over my Spirit.  I still cry a lot as we enter the great unknown but I'm trying to rely on His promise that He will never leave or forsake His children.

I would love to talk with each one of you personally as I have read a lot of the comments but am tired so that will have to wait until another day. Oh, by the way, is there a new prayer list available?

Thanking all of my sisters in Christ for all the prayers and well wishes.  Hopefully I will be able to post again soon. Meanwhile, keep looking up!

My love,  Lois  (HiLo)

Respected Contributor

💜 Thank you for checking in here, dear @HiLo ~ for all the latest news and updates on your brother, Don (a man after God's heart!), your son, Rob, our dear friend, @jubilant and of course your sweet self!

I have sent the email on to the ladies with the best news on Rob's brain MRI results. Praise God!! It hasn't spread there! I will reply to your personal msg soon, but in the meanwhile... I just knew that the living Spirit dwelling within you would guide, comfort and strengthen you through this hardest of all trials. You were in a state of shock and couldn’t feel His presence at that time. I'm so grateful that you're feeling more at peace now. Better prepared to help support Rob through his upcoming battle. Our prayers won't cease! Yes, your family are such a blessing and I'm sure dear Lauren will meet her goals and then some. 

Someone will kindly pull up our Prayer Requests here, as I must get the steaks out of the marinade for Will now. I'm making Selah's new style potato salad for our sidedish, too. 

Love to each of you,

~Joy 💜

Respected Contributor

Dear HiLo, sorry your son has thyroid cancer, but it's totally manageable. Two of my children have it. DD#2 was diagnosed about 27 years ago and my son probably about 5 years ago. They are fine. Constant, life long tests and of course there was the surgery followed by a scan and then oral radioactive iodine that seeks out and destroys the thyroid cells which are unlike any other in our bodies. It's a one time thing with an overnight stay in isolation while radioactive.

I haven't gone back to read other posts, it's hard to be here now. My infection apparently is here to stay unless the Lord heals me, which He can at any time. It's a balancing game between antibiotics and anti fungal meds.

Yesterday was a 2nd birthday party for Star. I couldn't make myself go even though I did want to hold her.

DD went and took my presents to her and to Sunny who will be one on the 3rd of July.

The new baby's gender will be revealed on June 30.

My sister's cancer has come back worse than ever and is very aggressive. The doctor basically offered her the option to just stop treatment, but she doesn't want to die, so is determined to do anything to keep living.

Tomorrow she will have a 2 hour infusion. If she can tolerate it, and wants to, they will do one every 2 weeks.

She fell and had to use her life alert to get firefighters to come and help her off the floor. Her daughter wants her to live with her and I hope she will, although she doesn't want to at this time.

It's very hard for everyone. I have to figure out how to get out to see her and how often and when, but DD is off on vacation now which will make it easier and I will just need to trust the Lord to enable me to go.

Whatever each of you needs, I pray the Lord will provide.

Take care of yourselves.

Hi cute, Issy, MsLomo, bath. and all

snappy Heart

Respected Contributor

Hello, cute...such a treat to see you here today! Oh so sorry your DD had a stroke, but it sounds like it was treated early and she will be okay. That's a huge blessing!

Grateful your family is growing and accomplishing good things. Sawyer is a HOOT! Takes after his great granny.

We so miss you when you can't be here, but you are super busy all the time.

I couldn't make myself get up to go to the party yesterday even though I would have been able to hold the babies.

I think my sister's condition and my own age are making me depressed more than usual.

WaJa, you are amazing. Your family is also.

I confess to having less and less interest in this computer. I've been doing lots more reading lately.

Am so glad that DD is home now for a few weeks.

We have doctor's appointments but not this month as far as we know. Unless the Lord intervenes, I'll live the rest of my days with this infection. I'm pretty sure it drains me of whatever strength I may have left, and whatever the medications are doing to my innards is another thing.

But, it's how it is.

Singing in public is not easy, especially when you are emotional.

God bless all you dear ones.

MsLomo, so sorry your hubby is continuing to have physical problems. I know what it's like to be the care giver and to watch your once oh so strong man need help. It's so hard for them.

Sorry all to just sort of hit and run, but at least you know I'm still around.

Oh, someone said they thought they figured out the name for the new baby should it be a boy. Since they are NOT going to use it, I'll tell you it was Oliver...Ollie.

They do have names now which are okay.

We find out on June 30 whether Star is having a brother or sister.

Take care everyone,

snappy Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I apologize to anyone who has the name or whose loved one has it, but, Snappy, I agree with you 100 percent! "Ollie" would have been hard to hear and say. Thankfully, you do not have to worry about that! (I've marked my calendar for June 30 or shortly thereafter for the "gender reveal." Exciting!)

I am so very sorry to hear about Shirley. She has been such a warrior for so long, and she is determined to keep fighting.

Certainly understandable why you feel depressed. You, too, are experiencing "stress to the organism" every day (on top of worrying and feeling bad about Shirley).

I feel a nostalgia for the "good old days" -- the days of  Raeli and Flo, the bougainvillea that used to be in the back of your house, Sunshine Bars and worrying about eating too many of them (I haven't had my first one yet, but I intend to!), and reading about Cute t's summers that were spent mowing the lawn, ponytail swishing, every other day because it grew so fast. 

I think you should do whatever you feel like doing -- you've earned it -- and if that means missing birthday parties, that's OK. If you don't get here except maybe every now and then, that's OK. I think my visits here are going to be fewer, also. It's hard to find the time and, sometimes, the energy. 

Someday (even if only in my mind), we will go to a Marie Callender's restaurant and eat chicken pot pie together.  Heart Please take good care of yourself. You are loved.

Trusted Contributor

Isn't that the truth, @MsLomo. . . often times life is simply too full (of whatever we're dealt) to find the time to talk about it. I'm having a terrible time keeping up here and even with emails. Trying my best to catch up on both before we leave for KS-Fest on Friday night—the old red-eye. Supposed to be pouring the rain by then, too. (Is it raining all over the world? Seems to be!) I have finally caught up on reading all of the posts here since my last visit—both joyous news and sad. In other words: Real Life. I thank everyone for sharing from their hearts. All of it, good and sad, are life lessons from Above, and as @cute_t says, “we count our blessings”—even if through tears.

I really shouldn't complain at all when you and others here are dealing with such heartbreaking stress factors. My own fatigue and time consumption is primarily work related right now. This being vacation time for most, so we all have to put in the overtime to compensate with the patient loads. My evenings are spent with family time, then patient files, before a bit of blessed sleep. I am always thinking of you and our friends here, with prayers offered daily, even when I can't be here to say so. 

F0ABD7EC-5765-4D41-8E44-D376C4431ECA.jpeg

Sending lots of love to you and your precious family. I say, have that pot pie and ENJOY it—guilt free! If anyone does; you deserve it, dear Lady, 💚 

Valued Contributor

Hi Snappy.  Thank you for stopping by to let us know what is happening with you and your family.  I am very sorry to hear the latest news about your sister, Shirley.  She is very courageous and I understand how you are feeling right now.  

You asked me about my friend that moved to New Jersey.....yes, we are managing to keep in touch, but it is an effort because of the time differnce.  She is adjusting quite well.

We had a heat wave last week, but it has cooled down for the coming week; thank goodness.  I, too, miss the days of Raeli & FLO, etc.  That is what brought some of us together.  No matter what happens, I will always be here for you.  I love you very much.

My SIL is doing much better since the loss of my brother.  She is the type of person who has to keep busy and have a lot of people around her.  She is taking a sewing class every week because she received a new sewing machine last year, which is computerized.  So, she is taking a class to learn how to use it.  It is probably good therapy for her also.  I think that she is still seeing a therapist also.

Hi MsLomo.  I am happy that you dropped by to chat.  I have been keeping busy with work, and "life".  I have been doing a little shopping.  Simone is going to start carrying some "statement necklaces" in her store.  OMG.....I am in trouble.  

Hello, Cute.  Good to see you, too.  I hope that your daughter will be okay after hearing the news about her stroke.  We all miss you.

Hi, Selah, Lurky, Rowan, Waja, Bathina, NAES, Hilo & Delaney.  Delaney, I know that Baby Tyler must be doing some adorable baby things now.  We need a baby update.

BTW, little Elijah will be three years old in October.  He is sharp as a tack, and a whiz with his tablet, etc.  He has very good verbal skills.  He is such a happy little boy.

I love all of you ladies, and I will return soon.  Take care.

Trusted Contributor

@snappyfrappy, my heart breaks with yours on the news of your dear sister's test results. 💔 Just shattering, after all she's gone through. I'm praying for your strength through Christ, so that you can go and spend as much time with her as you desire. I know it will be incredibly hard, both physically and emotionally. I relate to your sorrows and fears for her after watching my only sibling (brother) transition from this life to the next. I was both working and going to school at the time, which helped as did his own strength and courage when I was with him. Definitely the best of us, so felt especially unfair to him and my parents. My heart rested upon his deserving to be in that far better place, while also knowing this world and all who knew and loved him, would forever be changed by the loss. May it be that you and Shirley can comfort one another, and I pray for mercy to relieve her of suffering painful symptoms. 

Of course you're feeling more depressed. You, yourself feel awful much of the time, as well as conflicted on treatment plans. Adding to this your concern for your DD's future, as well as suffering with your sister. . . Adjustment Disorder, or Situational Depression is very real. Already you've long suffered with Depression and some Generalized Anxiety with Panic Disorder. There should be no shame in asking your physician to adjust your dosage of your current medications, or possibly switch to others as some immunity may have built up over the years. You are going through a lot and I thank God for your family's love and support. 

DA4E9FB1-1D79-4810-9163-289F8CF17780.jpeg

I first thought of Oliver Wendell Holmes, then Dicken's Oliver Twist and Green Acres' Oliver. Ollie. . . that's a skateboarding/snowboarding basic maneuver. Maybe your grandson is into that. Anyway, glad it's off the table, since you dislike it so. (I've heard of worse choices!) We'll all be excitedly anticipating the gender reveal! 

Take gentle care, dear friend and enjoy doing those things which bring you the most peace. 

Much love and deepest appreciation to you for your loyal, authentic friendship and enlightened fellowship over the years.

Hugs! 💚