Trusted Contributor

@agnesann, glad to know you're okay, but sorry to learn of Darrell's health problems. Tell him to cut back on coffee, though I know it's hard while working the night shift. Dad had to quit coffee when he had ulcers, but he went back to a milder blend once they healed. 

This new position you’re considering....will that be instead of your current one as Security Officer, or in addition to? Might the latter be too much?? Either way, congrats on the offer! You are highly respected in your field. Salute; we'll be calling you Chief Aggie soon. 😊

What are y'all going to plant? My MIL is going to help Marian and I with some patio container tomatoes and peppers. I know those will be used up as they ripen. She has lost her iPhone somewhere! I've looked high and low here - nowhere to be found. It happened after the move and I hope she didn’t leave it in the U-Haul. I called, but no luck. Could have been stolen. Very expensive to replace, but she uses hers for most everything - making reservations, grocery shopping, etc. So far they’re both loving their new place, but she finds the AC too cold. Going to talk to a manager about that. 

Have your dad speak with mine about moving. Wouldn’t it be great (in most ways) if your parents moved closer to you? 

Ahhh....terrific news on Michelle and her dd. Shhh - mum's the word. ❤️❤️❤️ Giving praise with thanks!!! 

No, @WaJa61  never takes credit for anything. Giving is her first nature. I honestly don’t think she even notices what flows through her. 

I can't stop laughing at the thought of you in the dunking booth! 😂 Funnier yet is the thought of Bruce, or Will! No, wait.... REUBEN! There's your man!!! 🤣 No one can hurl the “inspiration” like him. The booth will make a killing for the school! I can see the takers lined up across the county line. 

I had to google “Dunning-Kruger-effect”. Didn’t know it had a name! And so it yet stands:

DF90B769-9ECE-4A66-B638-5C263705EDF1.jpeg

My ankle feels weak after a lot of walking, but I think in time it'll be okay, thanks! 💞 

Other than The Cove, shopping and the beach; I'm most looking forward to the scenic train ride through the mts! 🤗 That's more my speed. My parents will be joining us on that. 

Take care - don’t work too hard in the garden this weekend. Don’t know about there, but it'll be sunny and hot here. 

Trusted Contributor

😉 I hope you enjoyed that big scoop of cake, @snappyfrappy! If we can’t indulge in something yummy for our birthday, then when? Really do wish it could have been the real deal. All of us gathered around a table to celebrate all of these special ladies' birthdays together! 

We're all waiting with you on news of Shirley following her oncologist visit. I can only imagine what you, and all who love her, are going through. She is your only direct tie to your maternal family. You share common memories who no one else does - though no two people remember things exactly the same way, or rarely, in my experience. You know what I mean....and who are we without our collective memories? You are maybe feeling a bit alienated at the thought of losing her. She likely champions you along, just as you do for her. The sister connection is so strong in most cases. 👩‍❤️‍👩 You've been through an incredibly lot together, and I pray with all here that you two will continue on for a very long time. 

2B1A3408-B8FD-489A-B09B-34E8F350331D.gif

It's not the same, of course.... nothing or no one could be, but you do have other sisters in Spirit right here. ❤️ Don't know who told you that you overshare, but in the 6 or 7 years I have known you - since I first joined this community....I have never witnessed that. Never have I seen you share anything in unsafe, or disrespectful ways. 

About the housekeeper; if there is no one you know personally and trust (family member, friend, neighbor, church group, etc.) and you must consider a franchise service.....you will want to check them out thoroughly, including reviews on Angie's List or similar resources. Accreditation with the BBB is excellent, then be sure they're insured and bonded. The most common reason housekeepers and cleaning companies purchase surety bonds is in case of employee theft. I know it's a very realistic concern.

You can purchase a safe or lock boxes to stash your meds and irreplaceable valuables in. Larger things like TVs will be covered by the surety bond - lacking that (I wouldn’t personally) by your homeowners insurance. 

You can remotely monitor their activity through security apps right on your device. They would never know unless you have to call them on some nefarious activity. 

If being there alone with strangers bother you, perhaps a relative could visit with you on those days. At least until you get used to it. 

I feel for your youngest daughter. So conflicted. I know what I would do, were it my mom, but your dd is a single lady and the CoL in S.CA is extremely high. Each person must decide what is best per individual situation. May the Lord guide her and grant her peace. 🙏🏻

Love,

Anu 

Trusted Contributor

@SelahG, I'm not sure it's your upgraded device. The jumping is back, and a new nuisance for this site.... the cursor covers each letter as I type. 🤔 

Anyway, thanks for your prayers for Nathan, who is feeling a bit better now.

Thanks too for the well wishes for Mia's Easter piano recital. She did very well! 👏🏻👏🏻 She played Thine Be The Glory, Christ The Lord Is Risen Today, Were You There and Hosanna, Loud Hosanna. 

When she recieves her copy, I'll reformat it to send you ladies. 

For you and all interested: 

5787657D-11C8-44EF-98E5-035F66B8F252.jpeg

Have a nice, safe weekend all! 💞 

Esteemed Contributor

Praise the Lord! Thanks to all of you who are praying for Lori, she passed her boards and got a job now in the Centre Care system, in rehab. She will be starting her Nursing Career!  Darla is still in severe pain, doctoring all the time. We won't give up on her healing.  

Trusted Contributor

Hey, @gloriajean—what fantastic news!! 🤗 I'm sure you're all rejoicing this weekend. I'm thrilled for her, and I'm sure she'll be a blessing to many there in rehab. Well done, Lori! 

31BDCD48-9E22-4BF5-9C5D-38B145798FDF.jpeg

Thank the Lord for prayers answered—all good things come through Him. Including wonderful opportunities! 

We will not forget Darla's urgent petition.

08D2AA5A-D76A-4B6C-A91D-A6F90A324229.gif

May the miracle she needs come quickly. 🙏🏻 

Trusted Contributor

🌹To sweet @Issy379 . . . 

4C3D7E39-F097-4E7C-AC2B-0D823E251632.png

Have fun shopping today—be extra good to yourself! ❤️ 

Trusted Contributor

@LurkyLoo—thank you for all the prayers! I'm so glad you enjoyed a beautiful Easter and birthday, with the lovely service, the choir's uplifting hymns and that darling child snuggling her stuffed lamb! Did they get to hold the egg hunt in your community gardens? We didn’t attend any this year, but BabyGirl went to a small one in the park with her grandmother. She “found” 2 eggs “me find 'em!” 😉 (With help from an older girl there.) Surprisingly she still hasn’t eaten them. Guards them closely from Mike and Dad. They keep teasing that they're gonna eat them before they go stale. 

I used your potato salad recipe! Yes, we overshot with the boiled eggs. Gram said that yours is “the best potato salad she ever 'et.” That's enormous, coming from her! My FIL never said or seemed to know that turkey was in the sausage I served him. Just said everything was delicious. Yip! Below is a recipe I tried recently from Food Network. It was simple, yet a hit, so you can c/p this one to your recipe site on D, if you like. I've had no time to get there. 

Agreeing with Joy. . . I think you're unnecessarily feeling intimidated by Gwen's fiancé's education and career choice. Sort of like some fear I'm evaluating or diagnosing them when first we meet and they learn of my profession. Then they get to know me, ethics and all. We all wear many hats in life. He's no different—not a one-dimensional nuclear physicist. I like him, he's brilliant and has a great attitude with strong convictions. Yet he isn’t at all rigid, pompous, banal or full of phony platitudes. He doesn’t try to artificially ingratiate himself and curry favor with Gwen's family and friends. Keeps it real and let's it come naturally. That's a sign of true confidence, and I trust that much more than a soft-soaping flatterer. Or worst yet, a self-promoting braggart. He's open to learning from others and he quietly, genuinely cares. Told Mike he wants to come to Montana to hike, camp and learn fly-fishing. We will welcome them with open arms whenever they can arrange it. 

You just need to find a common interest beyond the pleasantries to chat about. I know he loves baseball and you enjoy that, too. He loves nature and travel. You could discuss programs you watch—he possibly watches the same. Ask him questions about himself and his family. Most people like to share, and you may be surprised to learn how much you share in common beyond your mutual love for sweet Gwen. 

I have smooched both babies for you and the other ladies here! Tyler gave way to tears—loud ones, when I left after dinner last night with my niece to go shopping for her prom dress. BabyGirl got to go, and he sure perked up and noticed! 😤 Took Mike a while to calm him down. 

Yes, the situation between BG's birthmom and grandmom is heartbreaking. They haven’t gotten along well together for several years. Prayerfully they get along better, for BG's sake, as well as their own, with some time physically apart. The birthmom has some maturing to do. Some self-destructive “demons” to overcome. Keep praying! 

Next weekend, Tyler and BabyGirl will both go with us to Lonesone Dove Ranch! The young man I spoke of from our ministry's prisoner release program has a job there now! Ranch hand, and in training to become a guide. He will need a license for that through the state. How lucky he is to live there, too! If the weather is good, Mike and I will strap the babies to us and ride horses (gently) along the mountain pass.

Today it's rainy again. In the low 50s. I asked him to please wait, since he was recently ill, but Mike continues to work on Tyler’s new bedroom with bath. A stubborn streak a mile long, when it comes to work/chores. Mom says it's the Irish in him. I don't doubt it! Too all you fellow renovaters here, past and present; you spoke a solid with the noise, mess and expense! 

E56474FD-D501-4C29-A9C0-43E43525BFA4.gif

@agnesann, if I don’t make it back here today, tho I hope to; this evening after dinner is fine by me. BG is at her gram's. 

Trusted Contributor

@snappyfrappy, not much rattles me, but the constant sawing and hammering here today (Mike's brother has joined him now) has my brain in a frenzy. I hope that what I'm typing can be comprehended. I don’t know how Tyler manages to sleep thru it, but out he went right after his bottle. 😇

I'm confused at how after all this time, the oncologist is telling Shirley that they've been treating her for brain cancer, rather than colon cancer. Did they mean they already knew of previous tumors in her brain, and the treatments are basically the same for both? God knows the details in any case; the vital thing is that we continue to pray to Him. Including to guide her medical team. Could be that Shirley chose to spare you all along, which is only loving, though shocking to learn now. If the slurring of speech becomes permanent, tho the tumor shrinks or, God-willing, vanishes—there's therapy to help her with that. I await the most recent update from you—whenever you feel up to sharing.

“Sharing and caring here,” as Joy says. . . That's what it's always been about. From the first page of this thread, and the several before it. This is not even the first “hello” thread. Over the years we've all managed to respect proper boundaries. Agreeing wholeheartedly with Anu. You've never posted TMI in my honest opinion either. I know there are burdens we choose to keep to ourselves, too, but there are times we need to vent, or pour our hearts out to those trusted to genuinely care. You're always discreet enough to protect your and your loved ones' identity on this public board. 

I can well understand why you and your DD decided against attending Easter services in the tent, and with distant parking. We had a huge turnout, too. Pastor had to hold 3 separate services to accommodate everyone. Glad we went to the sunrise service where fewer attended. No offense, but standing so long with a baby isn’t easy—not to mention Gram couldn’t have stood that long without real discomfort. Arthritis. 

How sweet of your oldest DD to bring you the cat planter! You only have to feed (and water) the plant. Perfect and I hope it thrives! I know you're blessed with the green thumb, like our Ruth Ann. When that gift was doled out; I was sadly passed up. 

Speaking of thriving. . . your baby girls are developing into turbo tots! 😇😇 It's precious how Star was asking for her GG on Easter Day. She's already connecting you with special occasions. Not that you aren’t a very special treat all the time! 

I'm truly sorry that so many sad and troubling things are hitting you all at once. It no doubt spoiled your Easter and 85th birthday. A real milestone, that! But, yes, as Gram says, “with a long, blessed life comes the many sorrows of those who go Home before us. We know exactly where they are—we rejoice in their eternal peace through grace. . . but we miss them so, until we meet again.”

It has also perhaps triggered in you more anxiety for your youngest DD, should you be leaving her soon. How blessed are you in great faith to be able to rest assured that our merciful Lord will guide and watch over her, whenever that time comes. From all I've heard from you about her, she is herself a wise, discerning and resourceful woman of faith, too. Believing all of this, as sure as I'm sitting here. . . dunno why I'm tearing up. Only human, and I do love you so. Hugs across the miles. 

7A128954-0E12-4A7B-99AB-808189FC15BC.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

Roast Chicken With Spring Vegetables

0A74ABEE-FA2F-4580-BF91-CF0805292D39.jpeg

Ingredients:

3 1/2 pounds skin-on, bone-in chicken quarters
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper 
1 lemon, halved
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound fingerling or other small potatoes
2 bunches radishes
1 bunch scallions
1 bunch baby carrots
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.

Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper, then place skin-side up on a rimmed baking sheet. Squeeze 1/2 lemon over the chicken and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Roast 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, cut the potatoes and radishes in half and cut the scallions into thirds. Toss the potatoes, radishes, carrots and the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a bowl; season with salt and pepper.

Remove the chicken from the oven and scatter the vegetables around it. Continue to roast until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is golden and cooked through, about 20 more minutes.

Squeeze the remaining 1/2 lemon over the chicken and vegetables. Top with the dill and season with salt. 

Trusted Contributor

ISSY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! 

I am sorry that this birthday has a sadness to it because your Dear Brother is not "here" with you ... but yet I think he IS with you. Heart

I hope you find something WONDERFUL during your shopping trip today. Maybe right now, at this minute, you are looking at a shawl or scarf that is exotic and striking, or maybe you have spotted a handbag or pair of shoes! I hope you enjoy today -- and don't forget THE CAKE ... A BIG PIECE.

Speaking of yum ... Marcia! I thank all the recipe posters for the wonderful recipes. I love baked chicken. I especially like chicken baked at a high temp, as in your recipe. It makes a mess in the oven, but it's worth it. The outside is crispy and the inside is juicy and tender.

The advice and wisdom on this thread ... so moving. We are lucky to have come together in this kind place.

Snappy, I think you are feeling vulnerable, and that's understandable with everything going on right now. Life is terrifyingly beautiful. Cups runneth over with elation and sadness. We are alive for now, and we will savor every sensation that comes our way and sob our hearts out with the beauty of all of it.

HeartHeartHeart