Trusted Contributor

Snappy! Oh my goodness, we go through periods of relative quiet and calm, and then, BAM! DD#1 has an ulcer and a hernia! Thank goodness she got to the ER and can now be fixed up and on the mend. I'm sure she is feeling grateful for the blood transfusion, too. And what about your poor eye! No wonder it has been hurting. On top of all of that, I'm sure you are constantly concerned about Shirley. As you say, we never know what each day will bring. I'm with Lurkey in wishing you rest for your eyes and body and soul. I hope the sleep fairy puts gold dust in your eyes tonight so you will rest easy and sleep tight. (I bet @DeLaney will know if there is a "sleep fairy"; there's a "tooth fairy," so I may have mixed up the Tinkerbell-like sweet ones with wands that make things better)!

Speaking of ... @DeLaney ... yay, Marcia! You're back! So glad you had a wonderful time. You are reading Tara Road so quickly and will be finished very soon! Yes, I would love an adventure like the one in the book. So happy you are enjoying our "group read"!  As soon as everyone finishes, we can have a Book Club discussion. Smiley Very Happy I am happy you are back home. When does Mike return to PR?

@SelahG, congratulations to your son and your family on his engagement! Sounds as if you might have grandchildren at some point, which will be very exciting. I'm happy you took the tour and carriage ride. That Tavern dinner -- mmm ... sounded so delicious; at this time of year, comfort food is just what the doctor ordered. I agree that our "Tara Road Book Club" is fun ... can't wait until everyone finishes so we can gab about it. 

Issy, good for you that you are finished with your Christmas shopping. Regarding the newest boutique owner, at first I thought of "Dolly" (as in Parton), but she may not be "country," so I think "Camille" is perfect. We'll need to bring the others up-to-speed about Vanessa and Mercedes, and I know there's one more but I can't retrieve it right now. Oh, and Jackson!

Cute t, did the baby arrive? It seems like yesterday that Snappy was waiting for her Great-Grand, and she's 6 months old already -- sitting up, drinking from a sippy cup, pulling herself up -- she'll be off and running soon. My DS started walking at 8-1/2 months. He got up, tottered for a bit, looking probably like a drunken sailor, and then took off walking around. My DH and I could not believe our eyes. 

Prayers going up for all who need them tonight. Snappy, I am thinking about DD#1 and Shirley and also @Dawn01, our sweet Bassetbabe, and your eye! 

Heart Heart Heart

Trusted Contributor

Hi, friends! I didn't realize I had fallen so far behind here again, but then I did download Tara Road to my iPad mini and have been reading it at night before I turn in to sleep. Could explain some dreams I've had lately! But the first parts were so sad....and now I understand what @MsLomo meant when she mentioned "that Danny." Won't spoil it for others, but.....POW! 

This ebook is also available in audio, and I discovered on Amazon that there is a movie version availble on DVD. It stars Andie MacDowell. Has anyone here seen it? I didn't order it, because I always prefer to read the books first, and usually I'm disappointed with the movies. This could be an exception, though, so thought I'd mention it is availble for any interested. I've been watching mostly Christmas movies on TV....of those I can find. Glad I have the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol on DVD. That and It's a Wonderful Life are my top faves. Searched TCM and didn't see many of the old classics listed. Did see one of my old standbys - The Ghost and Mrs Muir - coming up on 01/14, though! I love the story, but mostly I think I love that seaside cottage! More fun and sweet escapism. 

I've been on Flo watch since I'm more than ready for our travels! They will HAVE to include a shopping spree and I hope we won't overwhelm Camille and Cleo when we land. @Issy379 I love the vintage shops! I like to wonder about the history behind the items. You have the best luck with treasure hunting of anyone I know! What a sweet tradition - the red envelope with the $10. I can picture precious Elijah from your detailed descriptions - what a fun age to rediscover the world through their innocent eyes. WaJa/Joy has a nephew named Elijah - he goes by Eli now, as he's nearly grown. We tease him with the old classic Three Dog Night song lyrics: "Eli's coming - hide your heart, girls!" Lol. 

@snappyfrappy I'm sorry about your eye and DD1's anemia due to an ulcer and hernia! It's scary that anything we take to treat pain is either dangerous, addictive or both. I'll sure be glad when they develop safer solutions, if ever. I recently started taking Andrew Lessman's Ultimate Eye Health, because as I've explained I have had eye issues since my earliest childhood. Plus my mom developed Sjogren's Syndrome following menopause. I highly suspect I will, too. Among another symptoms; it causes excessive dry eyes and mouth. I have prayed your DD will recover from the one transfusion and the meds. I wonder why there is a blood shortage in your area? Heard about the hepatitis outbreak in CA (and elsewhere) but I don't know if there is a connection. If Shirley is managing her symptoms from chemo with just Tylenol, I'd call that remarkable! Praying she continues to do this well throughout. Will the PET scan reveal if the cancer has spread to her brain? She remain's on our church's prayer list. Hope your nephew had fun Christmas shopping! Jacob did all of his at the school's bazaar - he even wrapped them himself. Can't wait to see what he chose! I was so thankful that his therapist told him the PlayStation Virtual Reality headgear thing would be too over stimulating for him at this age. She was able to describe the scary symptoms it would cause him, so he said, "no way!" Whew. Take care and yes, rest your eyes. We miss you when you can't post, but we understand and would rather have you not straining your eyes. 

I'm getting concerned about @Dawn01 and I hope she is just busy, because she is feeling much better by now. 

Counting down the days with @cute t until her newest GGB arrives! 

Have yourselves a nice weekend, ladies! ❤️

With love from Agnes 

Trusted Contributor

Have finally caught up reading all the posts, and added Snappy’s oldest daughter to my prayer list for the successful treatment of the ulcer and hiatal hernia—in addition to her eyesight. Praying for your eyes, too, Snappy!

Seems to be feast or famine to the extreme lately. Here's to hoping 2018 will ring in with blessed peace, health and happiness for all! Could even stand for a bit of boredom while I catch my breath. . . 

MsLomo: it looks as though Mike will be returning to P.R. on 01.06 for another month. That is, if the current crew remains consistent in their progress. I'm elated to have him home through the holidays! Do you have big plans? We're hosting Christmas dinner here for his family and my parents. Will enjoy New Year's Eve at the local ski lodge and NYD on the slopes, if no work emergencies arise.

This weekend is devoted to volunteering for the local veterans and their families. I'll likely just bunk at the clinic Sat night, since the drive is far. . . in the snow. I'm on the hunt for the perfect easy (prep ahead) Christmas morning breakfast. I'll check the Recipe forums here and on Delphi later, unless anyone here has something to generously offer?? 

Agnes: are you going to Denver for Christmas? What do you mean there's already a movie based on Tara Road? I was sure we'd all be performing in that and take home our Oscars! 😉 'Tis sad in the beginning, but becomes more uplifting and enlightening as it goes along. Glad that you and the other ladies are enjoying it, too! 

Back soon. Love to all! 😍

Trusted Contributor

I'm posting one of my easy, tried and true favorites here for you, @DeLaney. (And anyone else who might enjoy it.) I hope you find it when you return from the veteran's clinic - bless you for your service to our brave service people. 👍

Breakfast Casserole With Spinach

2 1/2 cups seasoned croutons
1 pound sausage
4 eggs
2 1/4 cups milk
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 10oz. package frozen chopped spinach
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

Spread croutons on bottom of 9 x 13 pan. Cook sausage until browned. Drain. Spread over croutons. Whisk eggs and milk in bowl until blended. Stir in soup, spinach, cheeses and dry mustard. Pour over egg mixture over sausage and croutons. Refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 325 F. Bake 50-55 minutes until set and lightly browned on top.

Note: I sometimes put this in ovenproof coffee cups for individual servings. Bake until a knife comes out clean. I put coffee cups on a large plate with fruit, etc. It's great for brunch anytime at all! 

Trusted Contributor

All my very best right back to you, @snappyfrappy! ❤️ We're never more thankful for God's grace than when our faith is being tested. I'm so sorry, though, that so much illness has touched your beloved family at once. Praying daily for DD1 now, too. Relieved they caught the problems in time and only diet and medication is necessary. I have lived with a hiatal hernia since my late 20s. Wonder what in the world causes those? I take Nexium. They told me at some point it may require a very easy surgery, but so far, it only gives me real problems if I vomit. (Sorry for the gross TMI!) It seems to get stuck in a painful position until it rights itself again. You've been understandably under a great deal of stress lately - all quite scary. I'm praying for your peace and the better health for you and all those you hold dear. Time must be drawing near for another GGD visit! Some quiet snuggle time with her and her sippy cup. 😇 Did your Cuddl Duds arrive? Mine have and they're perfect in every way. Keeping one pair for myself and gifting the others. Still have a bit more wrapping to do. Take care, dear friend and Heaven bless you always! 

@MsLomo - I can't thank you enough for recommending "Tara Road"! It's just what the doctor ordered for a pleasantly gripping distraction. I know you're right ... Bless you for reminding me! Things will fall into place eventually and reach a point where I will actually enjoy helping to design our own house. This first time feels so daunting to me, but my husband seems to be enjoying the whole process. I do love interior decorating and always spent much time on making ready-built houses our home. I think I'm feeling the effects of too much change occurring at once. Both boys leaving home, our move and the new jobs. I'd just so wished we could find suitable and affordable housing in the area ... perhaps needing a bit of light renovation - and move right in. Selah assures me constantly that we are no trouble and I try to help out as much as possible here. I will practice the trust that you used to get through a much harder time than I face. 🙏 Still praying daily for you! 

@Issy379 - I'd love to visit those shops with you! My dream is to have my own some day after retiring from teaching. In the meanwhile, I enjoy everyone else's specialty shops when I happen across interesting ones. Still wish I had your flare for fashion, but I doubt that will happen at this late stage. Selah must have inherited all the glamor genes in our little pool. She can really doll up when she wants to! Enjoy your goodies!! 😍

Have a wonderful weekend, Q-friends - and ... 

image.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Thinking of you today, Snappy dear and praying your daughter is growing stronger by the hour. If she is anemic, she may need a second transfusion, so I’m also praying the blood type will be available for her and all who need it. I know you wil let us know what Shirley's tests reveal when those results come back and you are feeling up to posting again. Hope that eye is refreshed! I've never had to take steroids for mine before, but can sympathize with both dry eyes and eye infections- especially of the tear ducts. I sometimes take long internet breaks to give mine a rest and it does help. At this point I’ve watched most of the Christmas movies that I like so many times, that I know them by heart. I just close my eyes and listen for the pleasure that they bring me. Gwen is coming after dinner to help me and others box up the cookie gifts, then staying for movie night. She likes to help hand out the snacks and visit with those here who have no local family. What a blessing she is! I hope all those wildfires are out now. Not seeing them on the news here any longer, but I haven’t forgotten all those who have lost their homes. 🙏🙏🙏 

MsLomo, there is Mr. Sand Man! I guess he's a kind of fairy, but DeLaney may know of another Irish version- less intimidating sounding. I'd be thankful for any magic dust to help me sleep when the pain flares up. I'm no good at all without at least 6 hours of sleep, but it doesn’t always happen. The meds that really help are addictive, so we build up an immunity to them- need more and more until they reach dangerous levels. I heard they are working on a non-narcotic pain pill that will be along hopefully in time to help many. I was born too early- or too late.. they have kept me alive a lot longer than my mother, but there is the suffering. I try my best to not focus on it too much and remember the One who suffered for us. The ultimate sacrifice. I hope you are feeling good and I pray the next biopsy brings only lasting hope. I picture us all sipping our cocoa around a cozy fire and reading our books together! 😊 

Issy, I’m so glad you and the ladies like the name Cleo for the one shop keeper and I love the name Camille anyway! How perfect that is for anyone who can so easily change their look? I used to color my hair, but it became such a chore for me. Then I tried a couple of wigs, but they weren’t exactly comfortable. I'd still like to find one that is for the few times I go out. Maybe Camille would have some brand suggestions for me- and possibly Shirley if she needs and wants one later on. You are always such a delight! Give little Elijah hugs from me, please when you see him again. ❤️

DeLaney, be careful commuting in the snow as you go to help our veterans. I remember when you met Mike there! Seems like only yesterday.. two generous spirits with hearts full of love and compassion coming together to beat as one! 💞 Meant to be! Now you and the other girls here were born for the silver screen- stunners all of you! I'll have to work behind the scenes on our rendition of Tara Road. We know MsLomo will produce the perfect script, as well as star in a leading role! 

Rowan, that recipe looks so good that I’m tempted to share it with the kitchen staff here! Love the coffee cup idea. I know something of how you feel with all these changes.. as when I retired, moved here- downsized in my case. A whole new life, but it's gone well- it will for you, too, I pray. You are such a good designer, as well as decorator. Just sit back and wait until your turn to shine comes, dear. Let your hubby and others who do so enjoy this stage of the process carry on until then. I know you enjoy all this time with your sister and parents. The boys will be home for Christmas and all will be merry and bright! 😍

Agnes, have a safe trip to Denver if you're going and enjoy your time with family and old friends back there. Thank you for the email letting us know that Joy and her hubby are safely home! Have fun helping her on the Candlelight Tour! 

A blessed weekend to all who post and read here! ❣️

Respected Contributor

Hello dear friends, I have read your posts and am so happy to hear from each of you. Love the recipe and the housing plans and the family Christmas gatherings.

My niece texted that my sister is in the hospital with pneumonia. They plan on keeping her there for several days. That' all I know. My texts to her go unanswered.

I imagine it could be the result of a weakened immune system from chemo, but that's a guess. Please pray for her.

My DD has had a hard time with a terrible headache and trouble with her eyes, but is much, much better today. On Thursday her hubby brought her home, but was sick the whole day with a fever and much vomiting. She couldn't get him to the ER and they considered 911, but decided to wait out the night and he is better now. He thinks it was food poisoning, but I didn't know that caused a fever.

My eyes are red and it's hard to clear my vision, so I'm just going to ask that you all accept my post as if it's to you personally, because it is. You are wonderful women, and I love you all.

snappy Heart

Respected Contributor

Dear Snappy, just dropping by to check on you and all our sweet friends here. Thank you for this update, and of course, everyone understands about your eyes right now. Love you right back!! ❤️ It's always a privilege to hold you and your family in my prayers and to just be here with you. That's what friends are for ~ through the good times, the less than good ~ even the terrible times. Wish I could do more! That's the only drawback to cyber-relationships... the limitations, but I give thanks daily for our little circle just the same. Take all the time you need to care for yourself and your beloved family. Rest assured, we'll not cease from praying until this multilevel health crisis has passed. I'm am trusting in our Savior that it will. 

Your SIL could have picked up a 24-hour stomach bug, but according to WebMD, one can run a fever with food poisoning, too. Poor guy! And I know your DD was alarmed for him while dealing with her own symptoms. Thankful they are both doing so much better now, and may that trend for them! As a mom, I know something of what you’re going through and being at a distance ~ feeling help!ess to help adds to the stress. But your DD gave you the most important assignment of all. 🙏

Anyone can catch this pneumonia, flu and bronchitis that is going around, but chemo does compromise the immune system in fighting off infections of all kinds. It's too bad that Shirley may have to spend Christmas in the hospital, but it seems best that she is closely monitored while being treated. 

I've lost track of when you return to the cardiologist, but I hope you get some good news there. Are you still feeling better and breathing easier? Biggest hugs to you! 

We're all doing fine and I can’t believe how much our grandson grew in just two weeks time, while we were away. Wow, what energy! Gracie told him last night that he had exhausted her. 😳😁  I'm pooped and still somewhere between the Emerald Isle and here as far as my internal clock and scattered mind goes... So enjoyed meeting several of my grandmother's distant kin ~ did see her in especially two of them. That was bittersweet! Also had fun getting to know so many of Marcia's family members and friends. There are a couple of counties there (at least) that DH and I could easily call a second home. We'll return soon, God-willing. Thank you for helping to pray us safely there and back again. I'll share more with you when your eyes clear up from this infection. Save your lovely peepers for watching videos of your angel baby! 

Much Love and Blessings to You and All Here! ~Joy ❤️

13A0D293-78AC-40C4-97A2-794B6BA1E76F.png

Trusted Contributor

Hi, friends! Sunday bessings to you all. ❤️

My thoughts and heartfelt prayers are with Shirley and her family. Sorry for this setback that has landed her in the hospital, @snappyfrappy. 😟 I hope she rebounds soon, since her chemo treatments have only just begun. Thankful DD#1 and her husband are recovering. - gosh, when it rains it pours. Do you suppose the smoke from the fires are irritating your eyes and caused this infection? 

I'm also very concerned for @Q-Anu who is still recovering and exhausted from work and school, while worrying for her and her husband's families out in Santa Barbara. Their area was under forced evacuation the last I heard from her. She was pleading with them to join her in TX until these fires are extinguished. Easier said than done, I know - especially for her dad and others who work full time. 

@DeLaney we're not going to Denver for Christmas. Jacob's dad decided his holiday vacation time would better be spent in Hawaii, so there is no point in Jacob sitting around wondering why that is. He'll be happier here surrounded by loved ones who can accept and appreciate him. It's probably for the best anyway. Mom hates Christmastime and I don't want to cause her any added stress. She has another spinal surgery coming up soon. Also....my throat is scratchy and I have a runny nose. I'm likely coming down with the cold that's been going around at work. I stayed home today and missed church services - not wanting to spread it around there. Sure hope I'll be up to attending the candle light service there on Christmas Eve, tho! 

I have a recipe to share with you, too. I've made this one a few times after finding it online. One of Darrell's favorites and so easy! 

Sausage-Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole

Combine frozen hash brown potatoes with sausage, eggs, and cheese for a hearty, 5-star-rated breakfast or brunch casserole that can be prepped ahead and baked the next morning.

Ingredients:

1 pound mild ground pork sausage
1 pound hot ground pork sausage
1 (30-ounce) package frozen hash browns
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
6 large eggs
2 cups milk

Cook combined sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain well.

Prepare hash browns according to package directions, using 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.

Stir together hash browns, sausage and cheese. Pour into a lightly greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish.

Whisk together eggs, milk and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Pour evenly over potato mixture.

Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes.

Back to resting now with my lemon and honey infused tea and enjoying some old Christmas movies. Hi to MsLomo, Issy, Cute, Dawn, Lurky, Selah, Rowan, WaJa and any others who drop in. 

With love from Agnes 

Respected Contributor

Good afternoon WaJa and Agnes, and all our friends here. DD and I got to church today for the first time in a long time. I had to sit down during part of the worship time, but it was okay. Took the walker which helped me get from the car to the building and back again.

Thank you for all the news about your travels and family issues. I had an appointment with the cardiologist for the 6th of this month, but when we got there, they said they had left a message telling me the doc was not there. I didn't get it, so I'm set to see her on January 8th. I still get short of breath when I do pretty much anything, but am better than before she started treating me, so I know I may improve when she ups the dosage as I am sure she will.

My sister just texted me to tell me that the fever is gone, she is up and may go home tomorrow. Her DD is going to take her to her home where her son is staying now. She shouldn't be home alone anymore. Her other DD who lives nearby is working full time, but taking care of the animals. 5 cats, 2 dogs. Nobody but my sis cares about them. That's going to be an issue really soon.

She is scheduled for a PET scan on Tuesday. And for round 2 of chemo on the 27th.

DD#1 sent me a voice message a little while ago telling me that she isn't feeling very well today. She isn't fainting, but is very tired and having trouble keeping food down. She was turning off her phone and going to sleep. The doctor had wanted her to have 2 pints of blood, but there is a shortage. I think she may still be bleeding internally. She is proactive where her health is concerned, so I think she will let her doctor know what's going on.

My eyes are sort of a mess, but I really have nothing at all about which to complain.

The Lord has been very good to me, and I'm grateful. It is hard to be unable to get to just drive to see my daughter or my sister, but it is what it is as they say these days.

I can pray.

Hi to everyone of you out there, and thank you for praying and caring,

snappy Heart