Valued Contributor

Hi Snappy.  Thanks for letting us know how your sister is doing.  At least she is okay so far.  Just have to take one day at a time.

The fires are simply devastating, and we all feel so helpless.  Prayers go out to all who are affected by this tragedy.  

BTW, baby Elija is 13 months old, and trying to walk.  He actually prefers to be carried everywhere, but his mom has him hold on to her index finger, and he plods along with a big grin on his face.  He plops down to the floor, when he decides to let go of her finger.  He "gets it", and it won't be long before they are chasing him all over the place.  He loves to play patty cake and peek-a-boo.  He says about 8--10 words.  When he wants his bottle, he says "bot--bot".  It is so cute.

Take care.

Trusted Contributor

@Issy379, Issy, you are such a lucky lass! How about the red envelope with $10 in it? The former owner must have felt happy while planning (and planting) that future surprise. How can you resist all those shops? I would have a hard time.  Meanwhile, how about that "gift" for sniffing you've got! Another bit of luck! I think Lurky's "Cleo" is a PERFECT name for the new boutique owner!

@Rowan72, I hope the details connected with the property will soon come to an end ... ah, the wonderful world of building! I believe it will be worth it in the end, but, in the meantime ... deep breaths! : )  I agree with you about how certain music and art forms can evoke strong emotion. A couple/few years ago there was an exhibition of sculpted busts  -- and we were allowed to get real close. I KNOW that the people around me thought I was, uh, I'll just say "different," but I got as close to them as I could so I could see, and try to "feel," every cut, and I wanted to smell them at the same time, which I did (without touching them). It was emotional (probably also for the people around me -- "What is that crazy lady doing? She's taking all the smell for herself! Waaa!: HA!). 

@snappyfrappy, I am happy to hear that Shirley made it through her first week of treatment -- like a champ! Yes, I feel lucky to have insurance coverage. It's Medicare (original Medicare) with a supplement plan. I think it's going to cover everything. So far, I haven't had to pay any out-of-pocket for doctor visits and procedures, but we do have to pay additional for medication, especially all of DH's. I am wondering if there is something you can eat or drink that will "neutralize" or "remove" too much potassium ... questions for the doc. Those little raisins are too delicious ... speaking of, I made Christmas butter cookies yesterday. I probably ate half of the batter before I rolled them out, and then of course I had to sample them after they came out of the oven. 'Tis the season!

@SelahG, you are very generous to give your copy of "Tara Road" to Rowan. Did you go to the Candlelight Tour? Or did you get snow? We got about four inches of snow, maybe more. It was beautiful. Good to know that my mother was right about the corn! Interesting. Thanks for that. What you wrote affected me deeply about lessons and tests aimed at those around the suffering person. I continue to think about that. The people I have known who have suffered the most with cancer or other serious illness have been the kindest -- not a mean bone in their bodies-- what I perceived to be "finished" here and ready to "move on." They would have felt blessed to have been vehicles for lessons and tests -- their last acts of selfless giving to others. 

@Q-Anu, you were hospitalized! So glad you are out of there! I am hoping your family and friends in the fire zones are OK and did not lose their homes. 

@agnesann, I would love to see that castle where Marcia and Mike had their wedding reception. It sounds beautiful. Yes, the Flo Transport! I'm all in to be whisked away to Ireland right now. 

Cute t, I can't wait until you announce the birth of your newest Great-Grand. Good for you, working on emptying your closets and getting your jewelry squared away. Someone asked me if I wanted a certain item for Christmas, and I said I am working on getting rid of things, not acquiring more! But, of course, there are those tempting exceptions now and then. Ha!

Love to all, and hi to @Dawn01@bathina, @NAES, and all others who read and post here. Heart

Trusted Contributor

Hello, ladies! Good to see you all and to read your news. I'm so tickled over baby Elija, Issy---plodding along with the big, proud grin on his face! He reminds me of my son who now lives in Canada, from his description. Easy-going and knows what he wants and when he wants it. Now he's finally engaged to the gf he has been living with for about 3 years. I think they want to start a family, so I'm pleased. Always knew it would have to be on their terms, as it should be. Nothing else works. I'm all set for Flo to blow in and take me shopping with you at Cleo's! What wonders await us. 😍

MsLomo, we DID take the tour and carriage ride, despite the snow. It didn't stick much to the roads or sidewalks here, just the grass and fields. Beautiful while it lasted! We had a good steak dinner with grilled veggies and hot rolls at the Tavern. The carolers were there singing the old Christmas songs. Very sweet. I got my copy of Tara Road, too! Rowan is slightly ahead of me, so I told her to wait before comparing notes---don't be spoiling it for me! Winona is interested and will probably read it next, too. We could start a book club! 

You and the other ladies will be happy to know that Marcia and Mike made it home safely late Sat night. Joy and her husband did stay on for another week. I believe it was today that they were traveling over to the west coast of Ireland to meet someone more directly kin to her maternal grandmother. A 96 y/o man who still raises sheep and does his own gardening. Amazing to me! I can only hope to live that long, let alone be picking fresh corn, tomatoes, etc. Seriously doubt my back will allow that! But then, we never know ... I'm pretty sure the Lord isn't finished with yet. I have a long way to go, and hopefully, NOT a short time to get there. (Remember that song? 😜) But His good will be done. I know there is better purpose ahead as we all become better prepared to be there in His presence. That peace you speak of seeing on the faces reminds us of that. 

Snappy, I hope your niece and her husband didn't have to evacuate! Anu's family did, but her oldest sister is back and forth to remove some one of a kind rare artwork and such from her shop. I hear the smoke and ash is awful there. Our friends I spoke of before lost their home and they say they will not rebuild there now. They have retired and are thinking of going to Arizona or New Mexico. Probably to a retirement community, like your DD's friends. Just makes more sense. Thank you for the update on Shirley. So far, so good! 

Hi cute! I guess the 5th great grandbaby will be coming any day now. What a Christmas gift he or she will be! Glad your snow didn't stick around long either. I don't like it when it gets slushy and keeps re-freezing overnight. 

Have a peaceful night, friends! I'm going to enjoy my book by the fireplace after dinner. Love to each of you. ❤️

-Selah 😘

Valued Contributor

Hi MsLomo......thanks for stopping by.  I think that Cleo is a perfect name for the new shop owner.  She is doing a very brisk business, and I am sooooo happy for her.  BTW, she has a Juicy Couture purse that I think that I am going to purchase.  I have been looking at the prices of their vintage handbags, and this one is a steal.  

Also, I just received by Diana Ross perfume from HSN yesterday, and I must say that it is heavenly.  This packaging is really beautiful; another winner.

I went to Marshall's this morning at 9:30 a.m. to wrap up my Christmas shopping.  I purchased 9 gifts for $159.00 and I was out the door at 10:20 a.m.  Now the pressure is off, and I promise that I won't wait until the last minute to wrap everything!

The other lady that has moved into the building has a small boutique, and she also does makeup.  Her shop is very "cozy".  She is petite, and wears a lot of different hair styles (wigs).  So, she changes her look often.  I also noticed that she has a beautiful smile.  She does the "cat eye" very well.  I will have to find out more, but what shall we name her?  I am thinking of "Camille", since she can change her look like a chameleon.  Ladies........what do you think?

Valued Contributor

Hi, SelahG.  So good to see you.  Baby Elijah has a mouthful of teeth.  He started getting his teeth at 2 months.  He is a smart little tike.  He was trying to get out of his playpen.  So, he piled up his blankets and stuff teddy bear and stood on it--that little rascal.  You have to watch him at all times.  I get such a kick out of watching him.

I am happy that Marcia and Mike arrived home safely and that they had s wonderful time.  That carriage ride and tour sound delightful.  Take care, and enjoy your book by the fireplace.

Trusted Contributor

HELLO, ladies! 🥂 Cheers—I'm home! Thanks @SelahG for passing along my message to our friends here. Can’t wait to catch up with all the posts, as soon as I do that with work both here and at home. We had a nice early Christmas celebration with Gram and other family and friends there—and yes, WaJa/Joy and her husband are still there thru Sat. Lucky ducks! I would have loved to have gone with them to the west coast—it's been years since I’ve been. 

@MsLomo I'm loving our escape novel so much that I’m over half done and will miss these characters. Wouldn’t it be cool to trade homes/lives briefly with someone that way? Talk about an exercise in gaining new perspectives! I hope you continue to feel well since your trip and hopeful diagnosis. I'm still rejoicing with you! 

@snappyfrappy I've been praying daily for Shirley and I hope she is holding up well through her treatments thus far. My dad continues to rest easier with his TENS unit. So thankful! 

@Q-Anu praying for the safety of your CA family and friends, as well as your complete recovery. 

Greetings to Issy, cute and all! Hope your holiday season is going great so far! I'll be back soon to read and post in more detail. On a quick cell phone break—typing by thumbs is no way to chat at length with dear friends.

Love & Peace,

—Marcia 🎄

Respected Contributor

Hello, dear friends. I have read your posts and breathed a quick prayer for each need, and said "thank you" for safety for those who travelled. I don't have the time or will to answer each of you personally. My sister had an MRI of the brain today and lab work. She will see the oncologist on the 26th and have her second treatment the next day. I don't know about the PET scan.

Please pray for DD#1 who is in the hospital. She has been very tired lately. Her emails are full of accounts of all she does and also of being tired and napping which I don't remember her doing before. Her hubby naps, so I thought maybe she was picking up his ways. Well, she begain having fainting spells about 5 last evening and he had to practically drag her to the ER. She is very anemic, needs at least one pint of blood, and maybe more. They say she is bleeding internally and plan on doing an upper GI scope soon. She has been taking Aleve for pain for a long time and they think perhaps she has an ulcer. If so, they can fix it while they do the scope. She arranged for people to walk Maggie and her hubby has the day off from work so she isn't alone. She is in a good hospital close to home and is okay. No matter how old they get, they are still our kids. I wish I could be there, but unless she really takes a bad turn, I'll not try. She said my assignment is to pray. Praying for SAFE blood.

My eye doctor found an infection in my right eye that has been hurting and bothering me so much. I'm using the steriod for one week, 3 times a day, and an antibotic at the same time. Also the usual drops for dry eyes. I was awake for a long time last night with aches and pains, but finally got to sleep around 8. Of course then I slept way too late and when the texts started coming through, I could hardly see to type. And I tremble a lot in the morning.

I thank you for praying for my daughter and sister and me. You are treasures.

Grateful for all the good and interesting news, and remembering you even if I don't get to post.

snappy Heart

Valued Contributor

Hi Snappy.  Thanks for telling us about DD#!. So sorry to hear this news.   I pray for her recovery, and that all will go well for her in the future.  I have received my "assignment", and rest assured that we all will be praying for her and for you, too.

Take care, dear one......

Trusted Contributor

We're all with you in prayer, (((snappy))) for your DD, Shirley and yourself, of course. Hope you can rest today, once your daughter is feeling better. I'm so thankful her husband was there and took her to the hospital. Rest your eyes and enjoy your praise music or an audio book. I'll check back soon. 

Love to you and all here. ❤️

Respected Contributor

Hi Issy and Lurky, I love you and all my dear friends here. Thank you for praying for all of us. Yesterday was a blur of text messages and I was very tired, but today is better.

They gave DD a pint of blood yesterday. Her blood pressure was very low, but responded to the transfusion and she began to feel better. This morning they did an upper GI scope and found an ulcer and a hiatal hernia. Both can be managed with medication and diet. They are going to release her at 2 this afternoon which is about an hour and a half from now. They might have given her another transfusion, but there is a blood shortage.

I know she wants to get out of there and home. Hope she will take it easy when she is there. I was really scared last night.

My sister has her PET scan on the 19th. DD#2 was able to tell her how they are done which helped her to feel prepared. I think she is doing well.

We never know what a day will bring. I'm thankful for God's grace.

All my best to each lady who posts and reads here.

snappy Heart