Trusted Contributor

Now I see @Dawn01 is still not feeling well..... and her friend has lost her husband. I'm very, very sorry and will be praying for all. Take good care of yourself, Dawn and never feel as though you have to “keep up” with all the posts here. Just jump right in whenever you can. Your friend will sure be welcome, too, whenever she feels up to joining. These boards provide a lot of comfort to many, as well as being a distraction (usually pleasant for me) from time to time. There is a thread especially for widows here in Among Friends, too. God bless you and help your friend through this difficult grief process. I have not forgotten to pray for your friends who lost loved ones to violence either. 🙏🙏🙏

@snappyfrappy was Shirley able to enjoy the Trans Siberian Orchestra concert? I so hoped she would and the birthday lunch, too. She is a remarkable woman in so many ways - as are you! You know, of course, I feel a heart connection with her, too, due to her son. I'm so happy to hear he has been doing so well and I'm praying for his strength and understanding through his mom's treatments. So glad your dermatologist visit went so well! Hoping the cardiologist one will, too. I never knew raisins were so high in potassium - just that they are a healthy snack for most. Hope you can continue to enjoy them. 

@SelahG I don’t think you are behind at all in your decorating, but then.... I have always waited to begin after Thanksgiving. Like to enjoy each separate holiday to the max. Yesterday we went to Santa's Forest and cut our live tree. It had to sit in a bucket of water overnight, so we will decorate that tonight. Otherwise, just candles in each window, wreaths on the doors and little touches throughout the house. I'm going with Joy again this year to help with the Candlelight Tour. Will take pics for the church paper. I love it for the history, as well as the proceeeds going to underprivileged children so they can have a nicer Christmas. 

Speaking of history..... I hope you get to visit Scotland and England and meet some of your mother's relations one day. I was never too interested in my own genealogy for some reason. Not that I am either ashamed or proud of my heritage - as I know from our many previous discussions we both believe that we're all one humanity. Maybe it will hit me later to want to trace my roots - or to help Jacob do so should he develop that interest. I have always loved to study world history and archeology, tho. The rising and falling of empires since the beginning. How people in the various regions survived, thrived and what became of them, etc. So much tragedy, but also..... so much inspiration. That will to survive against all odds gets me where I live every time. You are someone who has always displayed that to me, btw - TY. I know you are a strong support to Tanya as she finds her footing in her new life path. 

@LurkyLoo they are showing the new 10” Fire tablet on the Q right now! I know you're going to enjoy it when you open it at Tom's on Christmas morning! I'm praying daily for Curtis and Susan - also your dear friend, Martha. Hope you are enjoying your weekend with less pain than when we last spoke by email. Love you so! ❤️

Big hellos to cute, Issy and all our dear friends here! 

With love from Agnes 

Respected Contributor

wow, Issy, you are really surrounded by fabulous places to browse and BUY....maybe you were the magnet that drew them all there. Of course you found a necklace already!

I suppose you and MsLomo will have to find names for the two new women. That won't be hard for the two of you.

DD has gone out to *bucks, and also to get some gift cards I want to give for Christmas. After that, I'm finished. I did cave in and ordered the pajamas that were the TSV for her.

They were too good a deal to pass by. It's cool enough today for a little jacket inside.

I wear them so seldom that I don't always remember what I have.

Is your place all decorated?

And, how is your SIL doing? I hope she is making steady improvement and will be able to celebrate Christmas the way she usually does.

Thank you for your kindness...

snappy Heart

Respected Contributor

Hi MsLomo, what a treat to see you. I see we were thinking the same thing about names for the new ladies working in Issy's building. Can hardly wait to hear them.

I'm still just thrilled to my toes with your good news! Does that mean that the doctor who operated and used the C word was wrong? That would be absolutely wonderful.

Interesting that you ran into someone with CMT. LOL about the teeth. One of DD's coworkers had a child in her class with it, and she said " I guess I'll ask my brother, who is a dentist what that means">>>>LOL. So DD was able to tell her about what it really is.

I'm so happy for the news about your son and his girlfriend...the plot thickens.

Yep, mums the word, but he's your son and will make the better choice, or hey, maybe it's yet another woman he hasn't even met. Whoever he marries will have one fabulous MIL.

I never thought about spraying yams with PAM. I don't eat them often,  and have tried just putting cinnamon on them which is good, but they really do need some butter.

I laughed about your mom's ability to "sniff' out fresh corn. Did they grow their own, or was there a farm closeby? Otherwise, I don't know how a person would get ears that were that fresh.

DD#1 and a friend were out near where the baby and her parents live yesterday, so they go to spend a little while with her and they provided me with some cute pictures of her. Her eyebrows look red, but she is still bald except for some hair she had at birth in the back of her head.

I'm so concerned for my sister and am thankful for the group of friends here who will lift her and her kids up in prayer. I'm proud of her and impressed with her bravery.

Not ready to lose my baby sister.

Love,

snappy Heart

Respected Contributor

Dear Selah, oh my, you have given me a marvelous new way of eating what I call yams! I love, love coconut.  Can't keep it in the house. I'd just eat the whole container. Be still my heart, all my favorite things. I also hope my potassium level isn't elevated. The ACE inhibitor can do that which is why I wanted the test results before i see the cardiologist on Wednesday. Yesterday I had 2 little boxes of raisins...true confessions here.

It must be interesting to check into your mom's side of your family tree. I'd like to have my DNA done, but DD#1 says that when you do, your information goes out to the membership and relatives, or those who think they might be, start contacting you.I'd not want to get involved like that. Just think it would be interesting as a piece of information.

As far as I know, I'm mostly English, but there is some Scot and possibly Irish in there.

I also think white hair is beautiful, and know my sis will look lovely when hers comes back in. She hopes it returns curly. We knew a young man who had that happen.

I still have a lot of the brown that I've always had, but the gray is well, gray. Doesn't look bad now. Rather like highlights.

I do thank you for praying for my sister. I'm hoping they are having a great time eating out today. Wish I could get out to be with her, but that's not possible. So thankful that 2 of her girls live right near her and one is retired.

It was interesting to read about you working with your hubby in his business. About as opposite an enviornment as possible from where Issy works! Hope you got your computer fixed or replaced.

Have a wonderful Lord's Day,

snappy Heart

Respected Contributor

Hi Agnes, my post to your vanished...thank you for your message and for your care and prayer for my sister. I haven't heard how she liked the concert last night, but I'm sure she loved it. I've heard them on TV and liked them a lot. Right now I imagine they are eating out at one of their favorite restaurants and having a good time. She is way more outgoing than I am and more fun loving too. She likes spontanious fun, I like to know in advance what's coming my way.

Yes, you would empathize with her about her son with Downs. It's good that he has his days occupied outside the home so he won't see most of whatever side effects she will probably have. He has been more attentive recently, having been told that she is ill and will need his help now and then. It's touching.

I googled high potassium foods and found some of my favorite things listed.

Don't know if raisins are HIGH or medium high, etc. I will ask the cardiologist about that.

Sunflower seeds also. We keep those here all the time to put in salads. And yams, and cantalope which I've been eating all summer. And avocado which is a heart healthy fat.

And wheat. A person might not be able to find much to eat if that's the culprit.

I'm very glad to know that the travelers all made it safely to Ireland, and pray they have a safe and lovely time, especially Joy finding some people who are kin. They will have a lot to share upon their return later this week. Time flies.

I love that you can help again with the Christmas festivities there. How things have changed from when you were in OR and hadn't even met your hubby and were thinking of moving back to CO. God had other plans.

Happy Sunday,

snappy Heart

Trusted Contributor

Hi again, @snappyfrappy - I realized last night I forgot to mention to you about Cologuard. Hope I'm spelling it correctly. It's a non-invasion home test kit for colon cancer. Between my mother's spinal surgeries, it was impossible for her to get into and maintain the position necessary for the colonoscopy which was due. Her doctor allowed for her to utilize Cologuard instead. I don't know if that would be sufficient to your needs, because I believe it is very standard screening. I just thought you might want to read about it online and/or ask your doctor since the more invasive testing is so hard/risky for you. 

We got our tree decorated! It looks so pretty and the house smells so good. I put the nativity scene on the fireplace mantle between my flameless candles and the crystal star of Bethlehem ornament from Lurky hanging from above. So twinkly! That is as far as I got last night, but it's progress. 

And I see Lurky has read/hearted, but hasn't posted. I hope she's okay! ❤️

I always enjoy the Trans Siberian Orchestra on TV or YT, too. Fantastic! Would love to attend a concert some day. Darrell and I are going to see the Nutcracker soon. I love ballet, but I can't say he is too thrilled with it. 😜 I'll have to go with him to a football game or something to even the score. Really wanting to visit Colonial Williamsburg before the Christmas season is over, but it's so hard to fit everything in when I only have weekends off, and he doesn't even get both days of most weekends off. @SelahG and @WaJa61 (for two here that I know of) are lucky in that they can usually set their own work schedules. Also they both get to meet lots of people. Not really so for me, working in security - other than my terrific co-workers. Still do so miss Samantha and I guess I always will. I'm taking a wreath to place on her headstone Friday. Her husband chose a beautiful one with her photo on it. I want to place the wreath so that it frames her lovely face for the holidays. He has said they would love that, so I know it's okay. 

You KNOW I'm not a spontaneous person either, snappy! Overthink things way too much and try to plan each detail to exhaustion. Yeah, look how long I dragged my unhappy feet before deciding to take a chance and leave OR. Sent my resume to many in CO, but as you say.....God had other - BETTER - plans and I thank Him daily. I hope you hear from Shirley today and that she continues to feel good. 🙏

My break is over, so I'll see you and our other friends again soon. 

With love from Agnes ❤️

Trusted Contributor

Hello, dear ladies and blessings on you all on this cold, rainy night (here). Hope you're all doing well. 

Yes, Agnes.. I've been reading along and hearting your posts to let you know that- and that I love you. I had a terrible RA flare for about 3 days. It's getting a little better, though this weather doesn't help. Maybe I need some Cuddl Duds! Lol. 

Just the same, I've been rejoicing with our dear MsLomo and you all over her good news! Actually cried tears of joy when thanking our Lord on her behalf. No better Christmas gift- other than the Original in this world than the blessing of good health. I'm just sorry for the worry resulting from the wrong diagnosis, but it happens in all kinds of cases. So as Joy said, chalk one up for second opinions, too and let it be a lesson to us all. 

Agnes, your cautious, highly detailed and perceptive personality helps you to do your best in your particular line of work, so it definitely has its purpose. I, for instance, could never work in security being far too trusting and also naive to many things. But I know that the over-analyzing becomes tiresome for you in other areas of your life right now. Since you have said you want to work on that I will continue to pray for your guidance in moderating this gift. Yes, it is a gift! We are all equally blessed- just in different ways. All of which are needed and should be valued. Your Christmas decorations sound beautiful! I'm so pleased you're still enjoying the star. I'm done and the lobbies are all decked out, too. Really does lift the spirits and I love to see it all through the wide-eyed children who come to visit and take the candy canes from Santa's bucket. 😊 Precious every one!

I've been searching for days for a particular quilt for a customer to our gift shop. She wants this very special pattern that goes back generations for a Christmas gift for her grandmother who is terminally ill. Apparently her grandmother had this quilt as a child hand-made by her grandmother from the old country. So sweet! I finally found one.. all the way down near Selah and Rowan in Moravian Falls, NC. The kind lady shipped it out today, so I could finally call and reassure the customer that her grandmother's gift will be here for her to pick up in plenty of time for Christmas. What a good feeling that is! 

How is Shirley, Snappy? I know it's early to tell yet, but I pray she is able to keep her strength and good spirits up. They found no mass of any kind in Curtis' brain, so it is looking very much like early onset dementia of some type. God help him and his loving wife. I thank you so much for praying for them. Know that my prayers are always with you, Shirley and your DD1 for her sight, too. I'll be back soon. 

Good night, dear friends and God bless you! ❤️❤️❤️

Trusted Contributor

Happy Tuesday, friends! I hope your week is off to a good start—especially yours, Lurky. Relieved for you that the terrible RA flare is subsiding. I had hoped at least the new diet regimine would keep those at bay. So nice that you could locate the quilt for the lady's grandmother! ❤️ That should bring her comfort from fond memories, as well as warmth through the cold PA winter. I love Cuddl Duds and you might, too, tho I recall you prefer night gowns. I'm so sorry about Curtis ... early on-set dementia seems to be increasing, or at least is being more widely diagnosed and reported. Once it is confirmed, I hope that medication can help to slow or ease the symptoms. The doctors will likely refer Susan to a support group with classes to learn how to better cope. It is better than trying to navigate these stormy waters all alone. I know you told me what a tender-hearted woman she is. May the Lord help them both. 🙏

Glad your decorating and gift wrapping is done. I still have wrapping to do, then the menu planning and grocery shopping, as well as sending off my cards. Right you are about Agnes' gifts and those qualities also help her so much with relating to and nurturing her son. 

Had to take time out for the learning curve on the new work system. We're going with the iMac this time. Not too difficult since it came with Windows Office, but so much else unfamiliar to me. One day at a time. The screen is unbelievably sharp! Love that and my photos are so much more beautiful. Have a new one of our father with his dog that I will email soon. We could certainly enjoy movies on this wide screen, but won’t be using that feature here at the office. Kind of a waste, other than the security cam. One thing I’ll not do is connect Twitter to this system. For years I enjoyed following some individuals, places, businesses, news agencies, etc., but no more. Just a hotbed of hatred out there! Pride over love—all the right-fighting that amounts to nothing any good. It's so nice to come to our thread here and see no bitter digs, judging, malicious gossip or baiting in hopes of points scoring against perceived enemies. Thank you, friends! ❤️

Agnes, like you, I was never really compelled to look into my genealogy either ... other than my mother's people. I know that is because I lost her while I was yet too young to really appreciate the wonderful woman she was. Just a hankering to try to know more about her through her ancestors and remaining relatives. I suppose in a sense, to keep her alive in some way ... but then, I began to learn a lot that deeply interested me otherwise, too. Once you start digging, it's hard to stop. Each person along the way has a story and you know how I love a good story! It personalizes history, too, so I feel you will enjoy it, if you ever do begin the journey. You'll be amazed to find family traits that you share, and ... just as amazed to question, how in this world am I even remotely related to that person?! Not that I am too proud to see my own faults, weaknesses—sins. But it's a lesson in how our place in time and societal standards have both evolved and devolved, imho.

Snappy, I went in wanting to make contact with my mother’s people, so what concerns your dd was never an issue for me. Unfortunately, there have been only 4 so far and that was quite some time ago now. There was (possibly) rumors of a certain faith group who were baptizing the dead into their group from the info logged, but since I don’t believe in that—that it means anything at all regarding life after death, it doesn’t worry me. Still, you do what you think best. Interesting to wonder if we may be kin, with your line tracing back to Scottish and English, too. I always wonder, but then ... according to my beliefs, we ALL are related anyway. There's only the particulars to investigate and discern.

You said it, my sister! My job and Issy's are on the separate ends of the spectrum. That's why I want to go to work with her—and shop. As Agnes said, tho, I have made many mainly local aquaintences here—even a few new friends. I'm thankful the businsss is thriving since on this side of the state, we are strangers. Praying for your best at your cardio app't tomorrow. So hope you can go on enjoying your yams and raisins! Saw the new wildfires in your state on the news and I pray for all in the paths—including the firefighters. 

I'm going to the library tomorrow, MsLomo, to look for Tara Road! Hope they have a copy. If they have two, I'll borrow one for Rowan, too. 

Back to work now. Have a blessed evening all! 

-Selah 😘

Trusted Contributor

Selah, thank you for telling Little Bird about my experience and the value of getting a second opinion. I did feel comfort from all the thoughts and prayers headed my way. It made a big difference. I hope you find "Tara Road" at your library. I'm enjoying rereading it now at the same time Marcia is reading her copy in her Kindle! I am going to look for "The Red Tent"  after what you said about it. I want to go to work with Issy, too! But I think I'd have to win the lottery first with all those boutiques nearby! 

Agnes, many thanks to you and Rowan for the prayer request email that Rowan updated. I know the prayers helped me -- no doubt about that. I am so happy your Thanksgiving meal turned out fine! That always happens with the pie crust edges; I read to put "strips of foil" on the edges so that they won't burn. Well, I tried that, but couldn't figure out how they were supposed to stay on! I had these foil strips (that I cut with scissors) flying around in the oven! 

Snappy, yes, the butter-flavored Pam -- it's what the nutritionist recommended. I spray it on popcorn and vegetables. I'm kind of scared about what it IS, but it's yellow and with enough imagination you can believe it's real melted butter -- ha.

I can't wait for Issy to describe the new ladies so we can think about some names for them. Smiley Happy

One of the doctors at the second-opinion hospital told me that before you check out surgeons or hospitals, check out pathology. The surgeon at the first hospital didn't make the cancer call -- he relied on pathology who diagnosed it from the sample the surgeon sent to pathology during the surgery. The other shoe will drop when I return to the second-opinion hospital to have the "new" polyp removed. They are almost 100-percent sure it's benign, but I will know for sure when they go in. This will happen in a couple of months.

Ha! about my mother and the corn. We had many farms around us when I was growing up, so she was able to stop at a stand on the way home from the grocery store to pick up fresh corn and tomatoes. She was some sort of "bloodhound" when it came to fresh corn. I remember thinking even as a young child that it was a strange "talent" to be so picky and make such a big deal about when an ear of corn was picked!

I hope Great-Granddaughter is no longer skinny and that her formula sensitivities are under control.

I hope Shirley enjoyed the concert and birthday dinner! I can understand the concern you have for your baby sis. I hope she does not experience a lot of pain.

I felt guilty at the second-opinion hospital when I was given the news that they thought my polyps were benign. There were so many very sick -- some terminal -- patients there. They were brave warriors and had determined and beautiful facial expressions, some of which told me that they had begun the exit from this life. The thought that gave me peace is that we're all here for some reason, and those who are still living are not yet "finished" and have more work to do or more learning ahead. I just wish that some people didn't have to suffer so much while others don't seem to.

More later .... Heart

Trusted Contributor

Lurky Loo, I am sorry to hear about your painful RA flare -- ugh -- three days of pain! Yes, Cuddl Duds!  Can't hurt! Thanks for rejoicing with tears of joy over my good news. I am still in a daze, and I find myself in crying jags. I heard "Danny Boy" and, later, Beethoven's Symphony No. 5, and both times I went immediately over the edge and through many tissues!  I cannot believe you found that quilt! That customer must have been overjoyed that she will have such a special gift for her grandmother.

Selah, I can understand your yearning to know more about your mother because you lost her at an early age. That is a huge loss. I am thinking that you learn to "manage" it somewhat, in time, but it never goes away. She must have been a wonderful person, and I am so sorry that she had to leave your life early.

I hope you find "Tara Road"! 

Love to all. Heart