Trusted Contributor

No thanks needed, snappy. . . it's a privilege to pray for you and your family. You have long been there for everyone, and even as you endure your own health woes and this cancer dx in your dearest sister; you yet are here showing sincere love and unconditional  support for all your “hello” friends.

I hope your niece and her husband had a fabulous time on their anniversary cruise, though hard news to come home to. I'm grateful to hear—as I know you all are—that the type of cancer Shirley is battling is not hereditary. One less massive stress factor to deal with. It must be very hard for her to protect her sweet son from the potential gravity of her situation, but it speaks to what a devoted mother she is. Is he still participating in the job program? Recall you telling us how much he enjoyed that and being productive. If so, I hope he will be able to continue along in his routine as much as possible. That usually lends a sense of security and calm, which will be a help to Shirley, too.

Isn’t it amazing that your pastor's wife is still able to serve as a missionary with stage 4 cancer? Even a few years ago that may not have been possible. So thankful for the strides made by devoted researchers and oncologists! May God continue to bless her willing spirit and many others through her efforts in Christ.

So thoughtful of you to gift your family members with the RING system. I'm sure they will deeply appreciate it. Wise choice! I got my mom a different kind of ring—the Burmese Jade from her lengthy wish list. (J349934) It should arrive before we leave for IRE on Sat, although it's snowing here. (What else is new? 😚 ) I hope so, because I want to check it out closely with the hope it's flawless. Hate sending anything back and at this late date. My MIL has been wanting an emerald (her birthstone) Claddagh ring, so Mike and I will go to the same jeweler in Dublin who made our wedding set to get that. Have it ordered and that is small enough to bring home. No waiting on the slooow shipping. Otherwise, I'm done shopping now.

In honor of MsLomo I have Tara Rd on my Kindle to enjoy on the plane. Not that I need any reminder to think of and remember her in my prayers, but it's more sweet solidarity connecting us. 

Issy, so sorry to read of your SIL's accident—ouch! Prayers for her recovery and may she be entertaining her heart out again soon. Your descriptions of her elegant events always inspire a sense of cultivated deliciousness and festive class. A rare talent. Take care!

Agnes, I'm exhausted just reading about all the ground you covered in D.C., but you're tempting me for our next get together! A bit south after Lurky's to see some of these sights. No worries. . . Despite the time difference, Joy and I will arrange some FT with you and the other ladies from IRE. Plus, yes—tons of pics and vids. 🤗

Cute, hope you and hubby are feeling much better now and your weather there remains beautiful. All the better to enjoy the Christmas lights!

Elated that Anu is recovering! C'mon up during your break and we'll hit the slopes and the skating ring. We went with a group of friends over the weekend (hide your eyes, Lurky!) We boarded that slope that made you dizzy to look over during our July hike. Perfect powder and the tubes were running non-stop at the park. Best wishes with the exams!

Hope everyone has a great, safe week ahead! ❤️

Respected Contributor

Hi Lurky, very good to hear from you today. After DD set up the Echo we couldn't figure out what we would do with it. I don't need another way to listen to music, or get news and weather or plan my calendar (I still do that in my written day planner). So we are returning it. But she kept the Dots. They can be used as an intercom and I can use mine to turn my lights on or off and other things we've yet to discover. They were on a wonderful Black Friday sale, so were inexpensive. The two of us text each other every day, so she knows I'm okay. We do think the Ring will be especially helpful as a deterent to someone wanting to do something bad, and also so we can see who's at the door and speak with them. Like today. I've answered the door twice because of package deliveries.

My sister has a UTI. She was to get medication today and also have the lab work done before her first round of chemo. Her treatments are scheduled for next Wed, Thurs, and Friday. Thursday is her birthday. Smiley Sad She feels really good now. I think she is very brave. I wouldn't want to do this if it were me, but maybe if I were younger I would.

I do know that the son who is estranged from her posted on Facebook that he loves her and is praying for her, so that was a huge plus for me. I pray that relationship will be mended in the days ahead.

Thank you for coming by and for your prayers, and the example you set of a servant of the Lord. Yes, we are all thinking about our dear MsLomo and praying for her and her family. For good news, an accurate diagnosis and the best choice of treatment. And of course, healing.

snappy Heart

Respected Contributor

Hello, DeLaney, I hope you read my post to Lurky that gives the latest on my sister's situation. She will attend a class next week that I guess will explain about chemo. Maybe how they do it and what to expect. I'd like to know things like that before any procedure.

I'm so sorry it's right at her birthday. But, since she has opted for the treatments, it seems the sooner the better. I reminded her that she is in control and can always stop if she can't deal with the side effects. I do know that they can greatly minimize the nausea now. They put something right into the IV during treatment. As I told Lurky, I think she is very brave.

I know she will do all she can to keep her son from being fearful, and his sister who is retired and lives close by will help him also. He will live with her one day when his mom isn't here. He is picked up every morning and taken to the sheltered work shop where he spends the days. Sometimes they do little jobs and actually get a little money. He has many friends there whom he's known for years. At one time he was even engaged to one of the girls, and my sis was okay with them getting married and living with her, but the girl's mom didn't mind them living together, but didn't want a marriage, so my sis said "no" and they remain friends. They have social activities. Last week he got a dressed up and went to a dance and he is on a bowling team with others like him. All happy people. My sis has been working with their team, but I don't know how that will change for a whille. I think it will be good for him to be out in the world away from her during times when she isn't well. But there will be no way he can be completely shielded from it. He remembers when his  stepfather died at home under hospice, so he has some knowledge of what can happen.

She has all her presents wrapped and the place decorated. She feels great right now.

I hope they do something for her birthday over this coming weekend.

I agree that our pastor's wife is an inspiration. She taught her Bible study group and hosted the cancer support group and discipled young women all the time she had treatments. This cancer was found in 2006 and she had surgery, radiation, chemo. It recurred 2 times with more surgery and treatments. Right now, as far as I know, she gets a shot once a month. Don't know what it is, but if you saw her, you wouldn't know anything was wrong. There are others we know about living with stage 4 for years, and we hope my sister will be one of them.

Your mom will love the ring. I do hope you get to see it to make sure it's okay before you go to Ireland, but remember you can return things until the end of January if necessary.

I hope my kids like the RING. My son and DDIL live in a rural community of horse people. No sidewalks, lots of open spaces, so the security should be helpful to them.

Not so sure about DD and her hubby living where they do, but I hope it works for them. I'm looking forward to having ours so I know who is at the door. It takes me a little time to get out of the recliner and to the door and sometimes people just leave before I get there. It's okay unless it's something for which I have to sign and then DD has to go to the PO. Boo..

I'm glad you got to go skiing or whatever you did in the snow. Sounds like a fun thing to do when you are young enough to not break something just by falling on snow.

I hope your KS ladies have a wonderful get together next year.

Thank you for all your many kind words and may you have a wonderful and safe trip to Ireland. I will be praying for all of you. I'm sure it will be hard to leave your Gram there, but maybe she will come back again next year.

BTW, that jewelry store there sounds delightful! You can feel free to bring me anything you see...Haha.

snappy Heart

Respected Contributor

Hello, dear ones ~ a happy Thursday to you! What a blast from the past... rollicking trip down memory lane I just took by hitting the wrong (red) Reply button. It sent me back to the first post of this thread, and there we all were... Must have been the first day of the most recent upgrade to these forums. We were like fish out of water ~ cast away to CC within the new jerky formatting. LadyAnn (bless her!) was trying to reel us back in over here to AF. I remembered the sea-sickness from all the bobbing, but got caught up reading several pages of our posts back there. Got me to wondering if the older, original "hello," along with 70s, Kindred Spirits and Deep Thoughts and Light Hearts (quotes and graphics) threads were still stored on the server. I'll have to look later. Would be nice to reminisce on a long winter's day. The forecasters say we'll be having some of those here mid-December and onward. Fine... the water tables need it and hubby has the sleighs ready to go!

Got our sweep potato crop harvested ~ we like to wait until the first heavy frost. Such a bounty despite little rain. Have y'all harvested them down there yet, Selah? Hope the yield is enough to see everyone through the year. Did the bracelets and necklace from the Q arrive yet? Hope you love them! Between those, Snappy's finds and this jade ring that DeLaney snapped up for her mom... I see I should have pursued this site more closely. This Wish List thing apparently pays off, too! May have to start one, well in advance of my birthday. 😉

Cora's gonna love that ring for years to come, DeLaney!! What a sweetheart of a daughter you are. We're going to a jeweler's in Dublin? Be still my heart... I can get into all kinds of trouble there. I think FLO better bring the posse to help control me ~ after we go to Snappy's and I whip us up a feast! (Just no more turkey for a while...) 😜

I thought of you especially yesterday, Snappy when one of the chefs here at the resort brought me (the unofficial food tester) a piece of his newest concoction... Mint-Mocha Frappuccino PIE ~ oh my!! (Swoon) He won't give up the recipe, but I have my Christmas order in for two to take home. I'm trying to talk him into developing little bite-size pieces to be offered with refreshments served during our Historical Candlelight Tour. He is the temperamental kind to huff and puff first, but deliver later... and relish the compliments and publicity. He is, though, truly a master chef.

It sounds like your son and dil live in an area (horse country) like ours. I never realize that! Do they ride? Your little GGD is going to love visiting there when she gets a little older. We still ride and Gracie has already selected the youngest colt for her baby cousin. Right now, he seems more impressed with rides on Pa-paw's big tractor. Is your angel baby feeling better now since the formula switch? Hope so!

Happy Birthday to Shirley! Is that the evening she's going to the special concert? Following her first chemo treatment... I hope she'll feel up to it, between that and the UTI. Prayers for her very best ~ and yours with the new meds. 🙏🙏

Bless your generous heart for always being so genuinely happy for others, despite what you're going through at the time. (Not that your life is any less blessed!) I know why that is and I thank Him for drawing me to you. I probably won't sleep a wink during our week in Ireland ~ too excited! Will be seeing everything and meeting distant kin through baggy, red eyes, but we'll keep a photo/video journal to treasure always. Wish we could stay a week or so longer, but it's not possible this time of the year. Just thankful to be going at last at all. I'll try to check back in here ~ to read and heart posts ~ before we leave. Have to celebrate our oldest son's birthday a bit early, tomorrow evening. He's turning 35! Just doesn't seem possible, but the guys at the fire station (where he volunteers) are having a little party for him there on Sat. (Some of them can really cook, too!) So we're having a quiet dinner party at his house. He doesn't like "a lotta fuss," being far more reserved than his younger brother and sister. A bit more introverted, like you, Snappy. That does not mean that you are no fun, btw!! You just take your pleasures in a different way. If we were all extroverts, there would be no balance in the world. The good Lord knows we need both, and those of us who fall somewhere between. I hope your packages safely reached Shirley ~ I know she will love them and she understands why you can't be there right now. Love you!! 😍

Dear MsLomo, here we all are ~ right there with you in our hearts, thoughts and prayers:

image.jpg

Patiently waiting until you can check in with us again.

Waving to sweet cute, Issy and all our friends here! Be back to chat soon after our vacation.

~Joy 💗

Trusted Contributor

Delaney, you need to give me a little more warning- or put it in a spoiler tag. Didn’t get my eyes closed soon enough, so YIKES! Snappy might enjoy some of the snowboarding pics, though. I won’t pretend to speak for her- she is bolder than I. I'd rather think about you and your friends after the ski slopes.. relaxing in your neighbors' hot spring. Safe and snug! Glad you had fun, though- it's important for everyone and especially all of you who work so hard. Love the ring you chose for your lucky mother! Have a safe, enjoyable round trip! Your Gram told me (on D) that next year, she may come for her visit Thanksgiving through New Years. Won’t that be nice? 😊

Hi today, Snappy! I meant to thank you the last time for praying for Curtis and Susan. He's having brain scans and other tests this week. Heard, they are having some trouble getting him to cooperate since for certain things they don’t want to sedate him. Really is sad- and frustrating for all. Curtis has always been one of those very calm, rational type of men, with an exacting mind. A diesel engineer for a big company that makes heavy trucks. Even went to Germany as part of an instructors team back in the '90s. I had no idea this was happening to him, but noticed immediately a stark change in his personality. That's when my SIL took me aside to quietly explain. It was hard to wait and cry later in private. I don’t want them to find a brain tumor or something, unless they can successfully treat him. That would be a blessing! He and his lovely wife should be able to enjoy their retirement years together. We just never know.. 

Oh, I can see why you and your daughter returned the ECHO system then. No point in having multiple devices that perform the same tasks. Some here have the Dot and enjoy them. I have a Bose wireless speaker for my music, radio programs and audio books. Alexa can speak through that, too. If you want to, you can access her through pushing the Home button twice on your Kindle. That's how I see others do it- same as me on the iPad. We have the security system here. I can watch visitors come and go through the main door on TV, if I’m truly bored or expecting someone. Whatever gives you a measure of peace is worth having. 

Sorry that Shirley has the UTI, too. Hope they can clear that up and proceed right on with the cancer treatments. Boy, her son is busier- with a fuller life than many without any disability. Good for him and his girlfriend! So happy that the other son posted the loving message on FB! ❤️ I'll keep praying for their reconciliation. Hope you have a wonderful evening! 

So good to see you here, Joy- and with PIE. I get so tickled every time I hear about the bristly chef. I think he needs his own cooking show. He'd get plently of attention and praise then and we'd get access to his delicious recipes! 

I think there is way through our member history to locate those older threads we so enjoyed- IF they're still there. I'll try clicking on my name later, but right now I have to wrap (or bag) a few more gifts. Need my closet space back, so I’m handing a few out at dinner this evening. Happy Birthday to your son. Can’t wait to hear all about your trip! 

Love and blessings to all. ❤️

Trusted Contributor

Before I get any further behind here, and Joy (and Marcia) leaves for IRE ... Yes, Joy! My Lola Rose jewelry order got here before Thanksgiving. Love these pieces and will buy more. Maybe they will restock and go on sale after Christmas. I was able to give my step-daughter her bracelet (with the clothes and accessories she chose on our shopping trip). Unwrapped, but easier to pack that way for her return trip. I know the young ladies on the res' will like them and Winona will adore the necklace, too. Very happy customer here! Only wish QVC still sold my Birkenstocks. They used to have such a nice variety here. Now I have to search all over, but I guess they weren't as popular with enough other customers. 😟

We also harvested all those sweet potatoes before the Thanksgiving feast on the res'. Beautiful crop and delicious! I didn't take any home, but I certainly enjoyed one there that day with creamy butter and sugar/cinnamon on top! You girls and your guys, enjoy your Irish vacay and think of us, won't you? Safe and smooth travels. 

Wow, snappy ... Your sister Shirley puts me to shame! She is way ahead of me this holiday season. My daughter is coming over Sat to help me decorate the tree and whatever else. I'm sure praying her treatments go well and don't make her too nauseous. Sorry the Echo didn't work out for you and dd. I'm having major problems with my work PC at Luke's auto shop. If he can't sort that out ... that will have to be replaced, so that will call Christmas "wrapped" for us. Have just spent out on renovating the house, etc. Need to catch up, but blessedly, there is nothing else we really need right now anyway. 

Prayers continuing for (((MsLomo)))---you are so missed and loved! ❤️

Having beef stew with biscuits for dinner. No pie for dessert, darnit. Have a peaceful evening, friends. 

Trusted Contributor

Heart  Sweet friends on this thread, I was released early.

Heart I did not have to have another CT scan. 

Side note: I overheard the doctor say to his assistant, "Did you read what DeLaney/Marcia wrote about MsLomo in the "hello" thread? Her head is now too big to fit in the CT scanner!" Ha! (Marcia, I was humbled and glowing at the same time. You are too kind!) Woman Embarassed 

Heart  I felt all of the love and concern and prayers, and I was able to breeze through the sometimes uncomfortable tests because I trusted. Thank you for all of your loving support. 

Heart  Benign

Heart  Love to all of you.

Trusted Contributor

P.S. Marcia, I am going to reread "Tara Road" beginning Saturday when you leave on your trip to Ireland and read it in your Kindle! Snappy, I am praying for Shirley.  Issy, may your SIL's back heal quickly. 

Trusted Contributor

Hello MsLoMo so good to see YOU Here !!! and Hoping things our Going Great for YOU as Being Home.. SENDING PRAYERS to YOU.. Love your Sense of Humor !!

Boy great weather here !! WE had Rain early this Morning, and then SUNNY in the 50's.. I will chat Later as Getting Ready for BED..

Ladies Today is the Last Day of NOV. !! Can You believe it.. as where did those Days go..

Good Night !!

Trusted Contributor

Hello Snappy and Agnes , Issy , so good to Chat and Thanks for kind Words.. Snappy i'm sending Prayers to your SIS and hoping your Great granddaughter is doing good now.. and Agnes Your trip to Washington D.C. sounds so interesting !! and yes so much to do and See their i'm sure..

Issy so sad to hear about your SIL falling off of a Ladder.. sending Prayers that she will have a Speedy recovery.. WE all know how she Loves to Decorate and Entertain..

yes my Hubby and i our over the Head Colds and My Hubby raked up all the Leaves and got them Bagged, and i Trimmed our Shrubs and got them Bagged for the Lawn Man to pick up.. So All is GOOD..

I will sign off and get to BED.. Thanks for the CHAT..

Good Night.. and we had rain this morning and then Sunny in the 50's all is good..