Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo 

I want to set up a Facebook account strictly to sell items on a County Facebook page for sellers. I will use a different name and want simplicity. I want to temporarily shut the page down when the items are sold. 

Do you have links I could could copy and paste? I would like to be as private as possible. 

Facebook is the way people sell stuff here in rural nowhere land. 

I would like your version of “Facebook For Dummies” for me to get started selling. I’m positive the book was written for me 😀

Please and thank you lovely friend. 

Honored Contributor

Re: dooBdoo , please help me.

[ Edited ]

Hi, sweet @butterfly123! 😊   I’m flattered by your confidence, yet I don’t have much help to offer — I know very little about selling on Facebook or managing sales pages and groups.   I’ll be glad to look around for some general links that might be useful, but there are posters here who do create, manage and oversee Facebook pages or groups for the purpose of selling there, and they would be far better resources.   I can’t recall which posters, specifically, but I hope they'll see this thread and can offer advice and assistance — you might even want to edit the thread topic to alert them to your questions.   I’m a “dummy” in this area, so I need a guide, too!  🙃😛      You’re such a sweetheart.   I do wish you well in this!   Sounds like fun!❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo 

I need to set up my own Facebook page for pictures, descriptions and to communicate with buyers. 

I wouldn’t want to be part of a group or moderate any group pages. 

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you.

🦋

Honored Contributor

Facebook For Dummies

As well as Facebook Marketing for Dummies books can be found @ Amazon dot com

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123  I have a facebook page...I have taken on no friend requests, posted no photos...just an account.  I wanted to do what you want to do ...sell a few things, which I have.  I have two more items to sell and then I will probably shut down my account.

I understand about wanting privacy and I think since I did not post photos, or any other personal information I am safe.

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 ...all you need to do is figure out which site you want to sell on.  I posted my things on two different sites....trust me if I can do it, so can you!

Also, I had to 'ask' the moderators to accept me..before I could list anything for sale....there are a couple of questions to answer then in a day or two you get an answer.  I would assume most sites do the same thing...ask the questions...the only groups you will be a part of are the selling groups you choose to be a part of...and I am pretty sure you will not be asked to moderate a group, unless you want to.

Like you, my reason for face book is to sell only.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@butterfly123 wrote:

@dooBdoo 

I need to set up my own Facebook page for pictures, descriptions and to communicate with buyers. 

I wouldn’t want to be part of a group or moderate any group pages. 

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you.

🦋

I think I understand now, @butterfly123.   (I need to learn to read more carefully!😜)    You're saying that you don't want to use your existing personal Facebook account to access the county's Facebook page because that might infringe upon the privacy and security of your current personal account, so you'd like a simple "bare bones" account to use instead?   

If so, in addition to @Mom2Dogs' great advice, one of the first things I thought about -- since you said you'd use a different name -- is being able to validate and verify identity..   Last time I looked (I'll have to check to see if it's changed), if the account has problems, gets locked, etc., and the name doesn't match your personal IDs (things like a driver's license), Facebook won't fix or restore it for you.  I believe their terms also state only one account (not the same as a page or group) per person, and that could be an issue if you had any technical problems.

I would think you'd have to let the county page administrator(s) know your real identity.    So those issues might factor into choosing a name.   

In fact, I think I'd ask the county page admin(s) for advice before creating something new, since they have experience with this and probably know what works best.

Once it's set up, as @Mom2Dogs said, I'd keep it very, very simple, only fill out the info required.   I think I'd start by setting up a separate email address to use for selling, create something very basic, and walk through everything in the "Settings" and "Privacy" sections.

I hope you'll ask more questions here, and all of us can brainstorm this.   I'm not much help, but I'll try if I find or think of anything to add.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 

you can set up a business page and then share your sale posts to local buy and sell pages.

i would not suggest using a "fake name" when selling items.....you want people to trust you.

you can set up a business page like "Butterfly 123 Treasures" for example. post photos, pricing, relevant information. then you can share that post to the buy sell pages of your community. you can then have buyers contact you via messenger or on the post itself. paypal is a great way to accept payments.....safe and secure for both the buyer and the seller.

i have sold quite a few things on facebook, but only using my real name.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@butterfly123,  I looked and Facebook does still state that they only permit one personal account per person, so I think @sunshine45 is spot on about creating a page.

This from Facebook 2019:

"Can I create multiple Facebook accounts?"

"Facebook is a community where people use their authentic identities.   It's against the Facebook Community Standards to maintain more than one personal account.

If you want to represent your business, organization, brand or product on Facebook, you can use your personal account to create and manage a Page.

Keep in mind that a personal profile is for non-commercial use and represents an individual person.

If you're using your profile to represent something other than yourself, you can convert it to a Page.

If you're a public figure, learn about allowing followers.

If you have 2 or more accounts, learn how to move your information into a single account.   You can also add another name (ex: maiden name, nickname, former name) to your account."

source:

https://www.facebook.com/help/975828035803295?helpref=related

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I won't post the article, since it's long, but here's the link that talks about using your real name and possibly needing to verify it with legal documents in some cases.    I do know of situations in which people weren't able to regain access to their account when a technical problem arose, the account was locked, and the people couldn't verify that it actually was theirs.   I don't think it's a common occurrence, at all, but it's something to keep in mind.

"Names on Facebook"

source:

https://www.facebook.com/help/1090831264320592/?helpref=hc_fnav