Honored Contributor

I have NEVER used a debit card for gas for just this reason.

And using a debit card for other things is fine. As long as I've had one, and it's eons, I've always used it for groceries and often get cash back. I also use it at the pharmacy which is inside my grocery store. NO problems ever.

NOT ONCE, and I'm 71, has there EVER been any problem with my debit card.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I have NEVER used a debit card for gas for just this reason.

And using a debit card for other things is fine. As long as I've had one, and it's eons, I've always used it for groceries and often get cash back. I also use it at the pharmacy which is inside my grocery store. NO problems ever.

NOT ONCE, and I'm 71, has there EVER been any problem with my debit card.

@Love my grandkids     That is what I use to say... until my debit card and my personal bank account was drained last year..... it was just awful and such a mess to fix.   Just a heads up.....

Honored Contributor

Just had that happen to me a few weeks ago.  Two Uber charges.  One in California and one in South Dakota.  Got an alert via text at 2 a.m.  One went through and I had to file papers to get the refund and the other for $90 was caught in time ... such a pain waiting for a new card and then making all the changes. 

Honored Contributor

Re: debit card theft....

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden I get your point.  The only adverse thing that's ever happened was about 4 years ago someone charged a small amount to my one credit card.

I am another who checks everything daily, sometimes twice daily.

I knew exactly what happened. Some jerk charges a small amount, thinking the user won't notice then proceeds to bigger things! I called my bank and they Fed Exed me a new credit card and had it within 2 days.

I guess I've just been lucky! My bank also covers ANY unauthorized charges, whether to debit or credit card.

Honored Contributor

i do use my debit card that is linked to one of my checking accounts. i dont keep a lot of money in there. i am not worried about it being "drained" because i know my bank will put the money back in there within 48 hours and report the transaction as fraudulent. they will then send me a new card within a week.

a few years ago my debit card was used to buy theater tickets in london. i reported it the next day, my bank put the money back in 24 hours later and ordered me a new card, and the only other thing i had to do was sign a paper.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I use my visa debit card for everything, gas, shopping on-line, etc.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I stopped using my debit card a few years ago.  I still carry it with me, but never use it. My theory is the least amount of people with access to my checking account, the better.

Never, ever would I use it for gas. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: debit card theft....

[ Edited ]

@dogsx3 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Gas stations are a good place for thieves to place a skimming device over the cc slot.  Where I live it is a good career for some.

Before you place you card in the slot, check to see if there is a cover on the device over thencard reader.  I always check and pull on the trim work to be sure before I scan my card.

Thanks...i just started going to my arco gas station here....pretty sure it is where it happened. I will start to check now. 

@dogsx3 

Wouldn’t the merchant be listed next to the charge?

Was the erroneous charge at Arco? 

Trusted Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@dogsx3 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Gas stations are a good place for thieves to place a skimming device over the cc slot.  Where I live it is a good career for some.

Before you place you card in the slot, check to see if there is a cover on the device over thencard reader.  I always check and pull on the trim work to be sure before I scan my card.

Thanks...i just started going to my arco gas station here....pretty sure it is where it happened. I will start to check now. 

@dogsx3 

Wouldn’t the merchant be listed next to the charge?

Was the erroneous charge at Arco? 

No it was at a food for less store, i guess they sell gas ? That is what my banlk rep said, it was also in a city i  have never been about an hour and a half from me. Years ago i had it happen and there was a newspaper story about the arco i was using. I just started back at arco because of the price, but not going back again after this.

Honored Contributor

I never use a debit card.