Trusted Contributor

I check my accounts every morning....Good thing i did. I had a 125.00 debit at a gas station. My car is small and i never get more then 20.00 each time. i don't know how they do it because i have my card. Just a warning, always check your accounts... My bank is great, put it back in and sending me a new card, but it is still a hassle to change all my payments.

Honored Contributor

Gas stations are a good place for thieves to place a skimming device over the cc slot.  Where I live it is a good career for some.

Before you place you card in the slot, check to see if there is a cover on the device over thencard reader.  I always check and pull on the trim work to be sure before I scan my card.

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

Gas stations are a good place for thieves to place a skimming device over the cc slot.  Where I live it is a good career for some.

Before you place you card in the slot, check to see if there is a cover on the device over thencard reader.  I always check and pull on the trim work to be sure before I scan my card.

Thanks...i just started going to my arco gas station here....pretty sure it is where it happened. I will start to check now. 

Respected Contributor

I always pay inside the gas station; I also have a RFID wallet.  Being a victim of identity theft, I ck my accounts daily as well & I have LifeLock which has been invaluable to me.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

You should never use a debit card for gas. It is the biggest place for scammers to get your info.

Honored Contributor

@dogsx3   Here is my suggestions

#1. only use cash at gas stations.  I have never used a card at a gas station.

#2. Do not use your debit card for any purchases.    Use a designated credit card only that has reward points for using for ALL purchases that you use to use your debit card for.

Pay that card off at the end of the month in full.  It is no different than using your debit card, except that it is SAFER not using YOUR PERSONAL ACCOUNT if a problem arises.    You are borrowing money for free using a credit card.....and getting rewarded for using it!   I make about $100 a month FREE with reward points!

If you just do these these two things....you decrease the possibility of having your personal bank account drained of everything.

Esteemed Contributor

I like the pumps that ask for your ZIP code - they cross reference your account with that info before letting the gas flow.  Yes, a thief could that a stab at a number but it's added protect when you're traveling or in another state.

Never use a debit card.

Trusted Contributor

I had that happen to me on my debit card.Have decided not to use anymore,write checks,an use my credit card when needed.I still don’t know how this happened,couldn’t sleep a few nites,lots of thieves out there

Regular Contributor

I had that happened but through Paypal. I was on the road and decided to check my account. Luckily I did as the CS agent told me it just happened. My bank was wonderful in resolving this.

Respected Contributor

Whenever possible (which is 99% of the time) I get my gas at my neighborhood Costco.  They are always busy and have an attendant out and about constantly and I like to think that helps to deter any funny business with tampering.  I use my Costco credit card which gives me 1% back.  In fact, I don't think you can even pay with cash at Costco.  An added bonus is lots of pumps and they pump fast.  They also have very long hoses so you aren't limited to using pumps based on what side of your car the tank is. 

Did I mention that their prices are ALWAYS the lowest in town?  Sometimes by a lot!