Respected Contributor

Re: coping with fear of flying. Suggestions needed!

[ Edited ]

I'm so sorry you feel this way. Phobias aren't logical, but they are real. As others have said, you should see your doctor for starters. You may do better if you have something to calm you. Then, he or she may recommend a counselor of some type who can help you move through this. I had to fly all the time in my career. Most of the time, I enjoyed it. But there were stressful times when I had to put on headphones and let music carry me away as I lost  myself in doing sudoku puzzles or crosswords. I wish you luck. It takes bravery to bring up this topic and face a fear like that. Good for you!

Valued Contributor

Valium and Xanax are both classified as benzodiazepines, or minor tranquilizers.  

Either one can be prescribed to manage anxiety.  

Anxiety is described as excessive worry and negative anticipation of the future.

According to Airsafe.com.  "Signs an individual may be afraid of flying include becoming anxious in elevators, having panic attacks before getting on a plane or going out of your way to avoid air travel. Individuals who are afraid of flying often think that the plane that they are on is going to crash, are afraid of heights, are claustrophobic or do not like a loss of control. This fear is not only manifested when in the individual is in the plane, but before they arrive to the airport, are packing or booking their flight."

At every physical, I request a prescription for Xanax which includes enough pills for my anticipated flights. ( Both Valium and Xanax have a strong addiction potential when used long term but I use them only when flying.  This is a very a very common request.). Just having this prescription, and knowing it actually works, has allowed me to fly without reservation. 

I take a half dose the night before the anticipated flight. This additional step puts my body in a more relaxed state for the next day, when I take the full dose. I find this set-up is more effective in managing my anxiety. 

If I can swing it, I fly business class on overseas flights. I like the advantages and it is more comfortable. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Super Contributor

thank you all for the ideas/suggestions!  I'm also reading the loooong travel post and that helps too, realizing some of you fly for days!!  

Respected Contributor

@adamlambert

think goal!

my friend takes something and sleeps through.  My mom had an overwhelming fear of heights, but she loved traveling so much she did it over and over.  And flying is far safer than driving, bicycling or even walking across the street!  Think positive.  Try to enjoy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Someone we knew, after 9-11, had to frequently travel (work related), yet was suddenly very fearful of flying.  She used a hypnotist, and hypnosis worked for her.  I'd try using a licensed hypnotist if it meant possibly losing my very important/significant job (if I had one, that is).  Or if I had a strong desire to travel. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

When I was little we would often have to fly between Florida and Pa. alone. Back then unaccompanied minors flew first class on the almost empty overnight flights and my grandma would always give us a dramamine for airsickness, assuring that we would be asleep the whole flight. So - try a dramamine. Worked on us. 

Honored Contributor

Sorry you have that. I've never experienced that. I think it's safer than being on the ground. Now ships, that's the uncertain feelings I wouldn't like. Flying to me use to be just getting from point A to point B. That's all the more I've ever thought of it. So...that's the most help I can be. I could say try not to be afraid, but that would be silly of me. figure out what the real fear is for you, and talk it out with yourself. Maybe that will help.

Honored Contributor

It was sitting in the last row that did it for me about 6 years ago. 

We were crammed in a full flight in the smallest seats.  All I could see what the backs of hundreds of heads and I was pushed up against the window. 

That I didn't end up on the Nightly News for stopping a plane mid-flight for an emergency landing was a miracle.  I just kept my head down and pretended to read a magazine in front of me.  And prayed for two hours non stop.

It was the only time I ever had a panic attack or anxiety attack.  Or maybe it's what claustrophobia truly feels like.  But I felt like I was going to be smothered by everyone's presence on the plane. It swept over me and all through me and somehow I was able to keep it in my stomach if that makes sense.

I can fly now, no drugs, no drinks.  I have to sit in the first row.  Can't watch the hundreds of people boarding after me, standing there waiting to move to the back of the plane.  I block them out by reading or closing my eyes.  I can't look at the back of the plane at all.

I don't fly as much as I did since last year.  I have no problem driving hundreds of miles at a time and do it unbelievably often.  Just did it Monday with DH and I drove the entire way.  (over 500 miles)  I love to drive and I love what I drive.  It's a no brainer.

Honored Contributor

I flew all over the country for a couple of years for work.  I visited 48 states during that time.   Well, that is until one of my flights caught fire and we had to make an emergency landing.  I've flown since but am still a basket case on the inside.  I noticed on my last trip that going 1st class was just $75 more so I did that and it made a world of difference sitting in the front of the plane and not being squished in with 2 other people.  I plan to do that if I can afford it in the future too.

Super Contributor

im glad others feel the same way! I paid more for extra room towards the front. Thanks for the suggestions. I also bought my favorite candy bars that I seldom eat for the trip! lol