Regular Contributor

The deed was done yesterday and it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. Nothing went wrong or anything like that but it took like what seemed forever--though it actually took less than a half hour (is my guess). I was the first patient of the day and I should have known I was behind the 8-ball when the doctor showed up late. The surgery itself didn't hurt but it was uncomfortable -- felt like my eye was being pulled on.

Went home, had breakfast, then took a nap for an hour or two (with the tape and the cover over my eye). Had to back later in the day for my re-check which was schedule for 3:30. Doctor was two hours late (I think he squeezed in an extra surgery or two) and I was steaming.

I suggested that the next time he has to keep a patient that long, he should give them a coupon for a free pizza. The receptionist (who was just as nice and understanding as she could be) laughed and said she was going to suggest that at the next staff meeting.

And to think I'm going to have to do this again in 3 weeks when I get my other eye done! Oh well, at leat I'll know what to expect and will take along a sandwhich to eat while I'm waiting :-)

Honored Contributor

I have had both my eyes done, and the surgery itself was a piece of cake, IMO!  The part I hated, was prior to surgery, all those eye drops you had to put in your eye, that was a pain, but necessary!

Honored Contributor

Re: cataract surgery: oy!

[ Edited ]
  • I'm glad you are done with the first eye.  I don't think the doctor's punctuality was kind or considerate.  I might think about a gentle way to convey this to the doctor so that he might understand that it adds to the already  apprehensive nature of the upcoming procedure for his patient.  The receptionist, rather than laughing, could have apologized for the inconvenience.  It is important for you to get in and out for your checkup so you get home and rest.  I hope you are feeling better and have a more professional and considerate visit for your next eye.  Do you notice an improvement in your eyesight?
Honored Contributor

It is in and out.  I remember my mom said that she spent more time in registration and the waiting room than the procedure took.  I'm happy to hear that eveything went so well for you.  One down,  one to go.  

Respected Contributor

There's such a difference in different Dr's methods.  My surgery is in two weeks with the premier cataract surgeon in the State.  He teaches at the University Hospital.  My first appt is on a Tuesday, I go back for a checkup the next morning.  Second eye is done the next day, and the checkup is done the nexr morning.  Four days in a row.  They don't want me to go weeks between because my vision will drive me crazy.  They also schedule patients in regard to their health status.  Diabetics or heart issues go first because they don't want to mess with your medication schedules. 

Also, they don't require all those drops prior to surgery anymore.  They give you some after to prevent infection.

My doctor told me how they dealt with cataracts back in the 17/1800's.  Glad I didn't live in that time.  Also, if you study the paintings of famous painters, like Van Gough, and look at their early painting compared to their late paintings you can see a difference.  The early had bright colors.  The late had muted colors or grays and purples.  That's because the cataracts changed the way the eye sees color.  He was very interesting.

And he has operated on a gorilla at the zoo who went blind because of cataracts.  She got her sight back.

Regular Contributor

Hope you are doing well.  I laughed---once I was ay my PCP's office and the secretary was about to schedule my next appointment and asked "would you prefer morning or afternoon?"  I replied "what's the difference---I come in the morning and leave in the afternoon!."  I guess most doctors run late.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Hooty:  I had both eyes done last year and the Surgeon gave me intraocular drops during surgery so there was no need for any drops afterwards (I did have floaters for about 2 days).

Honored Contributor

I am just So  Grateful I had the surgery on both eyes last January.  So many people in the world including children are blind from cataracts and do not have the blessing of surgery.

Just have GRATITUDE. 

Respected Contributor

OMG .. my husband had eye # 1 done this morning and I was thinking the

exact same thing on the way home ... how lucky we are to live in a

country that has such technology and medical care and facilities ....

So many people in the world don't ....

Respected Contributor

I had cateract surgery on both eyes last September. The surgery was quick and painless, and the Doctor required  no drops before or after surgery. I had heard his name for many years so I assumed he was older, but when I met him he looked like a highschool kid. The older I get everyone seems to look younger. Funny how that works. Well he did a great job, and for the first time in many years I no longer need glasses for driving.