Respected Contributor

Re: bringing new puppy home Friday~~tips and advice please

@missy1 wrote:

@conniekl wrote:

We never have used a crate for any of our dogs. We now have a golden. I used to baby sit our grandchildren, so we decided to try a crate for our new golden puppy. It worked fine till one day when the grandchildren were here. Puppy was in his crate and we were in the kitchen which was luckly  only a few feet away. We heard an alwful cry and ran in to see our puppy tried to bite his way out of the crate and got his teeth stuck between the wire  bars. Our poor puppy was crying so hard. His mouth was stuck between the bars. My husband got him loose from the bars. The crate went in the trash. If he was alone, I hate to think what would have happened to him. This is most likely an isolated case that something like this  would happen. I just kept him on a leash when the kids were here and it wasn't long before he knew how to act  and didn't even need the leash.

Congratulations on your new puppy. Give him lots of hugs and kisses. Be patient with him. He wants to please you. I would get a name tag you can get ingraved with his name and your contact info. just in case he gets lost.

I am so glad your puppy is ok.

I don't crate my dogs.

It's sad/cruel to see people crate their dogs all day at work, and in the middle of the night when they are sleeping. Why have a dog then?

A crate to me is used to transport a pet somewhere.

A crate can also be used as a dog house, when they are freely to go inside and out. (not the door closed)

I don't care what experts say. Would you like to be locked up where you can't move all day?

If you are going to "contain" a pet IMO, at least have a large enough kennel that they can walk around, stretch,  eat, and do their business.

I understand your POV, however my experience is quite different.  I have two cats now and they have a crate(actually a dog kennel) and they go in at will.  I used it when they will little, when i am cooking and they want to be in the middle of things etc.  But generally it is their little house.  Here is a pic of one of them just hanging out,  It is not torture if done properly.

IMG_1532.JPG

Super Contributor

Totally agree luvs2garden. Three is nothing wrong with teaching a dog boundaries and to respect you. Dogs love structure and having a leader. My dogs have always been trained by his methods and I am their favorite person and not my husband who babies them. I am just asking from them the same respect I give to them. 

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie

I don't have a  problem if the pet can come and go in the crate. And like you said if you are doing something. Also, your crate is larger than most. But to lock them hours on end while a person is at work, and during all the sleeping hours. (some people sleep a very long time)

Respected Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@Shawnie

I don't have a  problem if the pet can come and go in the crate. And like you said if you are doing something. Also, your crate is larger than most. But to lock them hours on end while a person is at work, and during all the sleeping hours. (some people sleep a very long time)

I agree! My current "boarders" come and go, in this pic you can see the door is open.  When my dogs were little i had the crate in the bedroom and as soon as i heard them stirring i got up.  I always had and have a pet walker sitter for midday walks, at least.  For the first three months with my puppy Kelly came morning and afternoon because i was working.   The crates/carriers for the cats are left out and i often see them taking naps in them.  For cats it is very important that they associate the carrier etc with safety, then when you have to take them to the vet they are not as fearful.  At least that is my theory.

Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@Shawnie

Leaving a pet in a crate for hours on end is not using the crate properly and should not be used as an argument for training or using a crate.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@NeNe1010 wrote:

Totally agree luvs2garden. Three is nothing wrong with teaching a dog boundaries and to respect you. Dogs love structure and having a leader. My dogs have always been trained by his methods and I am their favorite person and not my husband who babies them. I am just asking from them the same respect I give to them. 

It is not about respect and boundries, it is about HOW you get them.  Look at positive training methods, much more effective.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@Shawnie

Leaving a pet in a crate for hours on end is not using the crate properly and should not be used as an argument for training or using a crate.

How many hours a day do you crate your dog a day?

Yes, many people do crate their pet when working and during the night.

Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@Shawnie

How many hours a day do you crate your dog a day?

Yes, many people do crate their pet when working and during the night.

It will depend on the day. There are days when they are crated for only a few hours while other days they are in a crate on and off quite a bit of the time.  My youngest dog sleeps in a crate every night, basically for his own safety.  Both happy, healthy dogs who are very happy to go to their rooms when needed.

Just because some, not many as you state, may use the crate incorrectly is a absurd argument against them. Anything used incorrectly can be a detrement.  I can make a much better argument about flexi leads, invisable fences, choke collars even certain toys or chews.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dennylilly wrote:

Bringing my Goldendoodle puppy Harley home and need any advice on what to do based on your personal experiences.  Dos and don'ts please...

@dennylilly

So, is Harley home yet?

Super Contributor

@dennylilly wrote:

Bringing my Goldendoodle puppy Harley home and need any advice on what to do based on your personal experiences.  Dos and don'ts please...

dennylilly:  Have you ever watched the tv show Lucky Dog on a Saturday morning?   It is a lovely show about an animal trainer, Brandon McMillan, who rescues dogs (some highly strung, some just scared) from pet shelters and trains them, then finds them a good home.  He is a very kind man who has some great tips about training dogs and maybe the show would have some helpful hints you could use.

I am in California and here the show is on CBS at 8:00 a.m. on a Saturday.  It lasts for half an hour.

Good luck with your lovely new "baby" and remember, all he needs is love...!!