Valued Contributor

Re: bringing new puppy home Friday~~tips and advice please

I wish it was me!!!  I wish it was me!!!!!!!!

Remember, your pup is not protected fully for Parvo until after 16 weeks of age.  I would not take your pup anywhere except the vets and then I would carry it until it is fiully protected.  I have seen it up close and personal and Parvo is horrific.

Touch feet early and often as your pup will have to be groomed for the rest of its life.

As an aside, I sure would check your pups heritage for allergies.  Goldens can have them terribly.

Have a GREAT time!  I am very jealous, you get to have puppy breath in your home for awhile!!!

Honored Contributor

Puppy classes!    We did this and it has been invaluable to learn the basics (the humans usually need training more than the dogs).  You learn the basic commands - how to do them and how not to do them.   

Treat-based training.  There's no 'bad' there.  It's just learning, getting a treat when the puppy does well, and no admonishing when s/he doesn't.  This is very effective and they come to a point where it's automatic.   

One-word commands - no big ol' sentences (like my husband does - oy!), and they learn the commands.

Since your baby is part golden, you probably have a smart one there.  They are just so smart it's sometimes shocking.   I don't even know how many words Ru knows, but it's a LOT!

Also, make sure your baby doesn't feel lonely at first.  They leave their first family (parents and sibs) and it's scary at first.  I actually slept with him for the first 5 days before any crate training.

I'm probably getting boring, so I'll stop.   But just make sure you find ways to bond.   There is never a reason to spank them or anything like that.  They want to please you.  If they are 'bad' (which does not include stuff like pottying before training and stuff like that), then just a mildly stern 'bad dog' is plenty.  But no 'bad dog' for stuff that they haven't learned yet.  'No' works well for teaching things like chewing stuff that's not theirs.  You don't have to scream it, but be succinct.  No saying 'noooooo?' (like my husband does).  Just NO.

Buy a good quality food.   The grocery store junk is just that - junk.  We use Wellness and it has been good.  No soy, wheat, corn, byproducts, etc.

Oops, I said I'd stop.  Smiley Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

Congratulations on your new family member! I would highly recommend watching Cesar Millan (The Dog Whisperer) and purchasing (from Amazon ) his videos. So much valuable information! It will be beneficial for you and Harley.

Good luck!  Smiley Happy

@Mimi 1883  I disagree with Caesar's training methods and don't know a single obedience person who is a proponent of his methods.  I don't want a dog that obeys because he's intimidated; I want one who is eager to please because he respects me   Caesar's so-called training is temporary at best and is not likely to be effective for another person.   They are scared of and intimidated by him. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I had a crate downstairs and one in the bedroom.  At night we all went night night.  As soon as i heard her stirring i would get up and take her out.  Course when she graduated to fully trained and out of the crate she slept in the bed!

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

I had a crate downstairs and one in the bedroom.  At night we all went night night.  As soon as i heard her stirring i would get up and take her out.  Course when she graduated to fully trained and out of the crate she slept in the bed!

@Shawnie  I think that's an excellent idea to have two crates.  I've always only had one in my bedroom.  I think it's very important that they sleep in the same room as their owners.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Regular Contributor

why??

@ccassaday wrote:

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

Congratulations on your new family member! I would highly recommend watching Cesar Millan (The Dog Whisperer) and purchasing (from Amazon ) his videos. So much valuable information! It will be beneficial for you and Harley.

Good luck!  Smiley Happy

Umm no.

why?

Contributor

We never have used a crate for any of our dogs. We now have a golden. I used to baby sit our grandchildren, so we decided to try a crate for our new golden puppy. It worked fine till one day when the grandchildren were here. Puppy was in his crate and we were in the kitchen which was luckly  only a few feet away. We heard an alwful cry and ran in to see our puppy tried to bite his way out of the crate and got his teeth stuck between the wire  bars. Our poor puppy was crying so hard. His mouth was stuck between the bars. My husband got him loose from the bars. The crate went in the trash. If he was alone, I hate to think what would have happened to him. This is most likely an isolated case that something like this  would happen. I just kept him on a leash when the kids were here and it wasn't long before he knew how to act  and didn't even need the leash.

Congratulations on your new puppy. Give him lots of hugs and kisses. Be patient with him. He wants to please you. I would get a name tag you can get ingraved with his name and your contact info. just in case he gets lost.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dennylilly

Oh, how exciting!!!!! My neighbor jogs by with a goldendoodle & he is just so adorable & happy looking!

I would love to see & snuggle with a goldendoodle pup!

Please post pictures if you are able. I/we would LOVE to see pictures of sweet Harley!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

Congrats. We have a goldendoodle too. You will fall in love. I agree with all the tips posted here. We did crate train. He caught on very fast. I would carry a small treat with me also and when he did his business, I would say good boy and reward him with the treat.

We also had a dog trainer come to the house once a week for about a month. We were able to watch what she did and follow through with it. I don't work so I was able to spend much more time with him. Think that helped.

You are going to have so much fun.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@conniekl wrote:

We never have used a crate for any of our dogs. We now have a golden. I used to baby sit our grandchildren, so we decided to try a crate for our new golden puppy. It worked fine till one day when the grandchildren were here. Puppy was in his crate and we were in the kitchen which was luckly  only a few feet away. We heard an alwful cry and ran in to see our puppy tried to bite his way out of the crate and got his teeth stuck between the wire  bars. Our poor puppy was crying so hard. His mouth was stuck between the bars. My husband got him loose from the bars. The crate went in the trash. If he was alone, I hate to think what would have happened to him. This is most likely an isolated case that something like this  would happen. I just kept him on a leash when the kids were here and it wasn't long before he knew how to act  and didn't even need the leash.

Congratulations on your new puppy. Give him lots of hugs and kisses. Be patient with him. He wants to please you. I would get a name tag you can get ingraved with his name and your contact info. just in case he gets lost.

I am so glad your puppy is ok.

I don't crate my dogs.

It's sad/cruel to see people crate their dogs all day at work, and in the middle of the night when they are sleeping. Why have a dog then?

A crate to me is used to transport a pet somewhere.

A crate can also be used as a dog house, when they are freely to go inside and out. (not the door closed)

I don't care what experts say. Would you like to be locked up where you can't move all day?

If you are going to "contain" a pet IMO, at least have a large enough kennel that they can walk around, stretch,  eat, and do their business.