Honored Contributor

Re: bringing new puppy home Friday~~tips and advice please

@dennylilly wrote:

Bringing my Goldendoodle puppy Harley home and need any advice on what to do based on your personal experiences.  Dos and don'ts please...

Such a happy day and busy and terrifying day, but firstly CONGRATS!

If you have any other fur babies at home, do not take Harley in the house to their territory. Bring other pets outside to meet their new house mate. It may prevent some rivalry.

As far as a crate, dogs are den animals & find the crate is their safe place. It's also a safe place for you any time your eyes are not on him/her 100 %!!. To get him used to the crate, put a few kibbles of food right outside and into the crate. Leave the door open & watch if he goes in...praise is everything. Try to do more praising with the word "Yes" and less "No"...positive reinforcement goes a long way. If there's crying at night in the crate, use one of your worn tees (not laundered so it has your scent) in the crate w/ Harley. It's sometimes soothing & eases separation anxiety.

It's your job..and a big one...to prevent bad behavior. Chewing anything not acceptable is not his fault. You weren't watching to steer him away or he should have been in crate. Any potty accidents? You set the schedule: out before and after meals, after waking up & before crating, immediately after chewing on toys and at least every 2 hours. At night, take water away about 2 hrs. beforehand. It'll help Harley keep his crate clean. If crate is small enough, they won't mess where they have to sleep. 

Remember: Harley is a puppy and needs a replacement for his Mom and liter mates. Offer cuddling, soft loving voice, gentle handling, but also correction of bad behavior like his mother would do.

Do not over feed. I assume the vet will suggest 3 small meals a day and dinner should be as early as possible to allow 2 or 3 potty chances before going in the crate for the night. 

Crate: barking or crying in the crate must be ignored as long as Harley has been fed, had water a few hours before and also had a turn or 2 outside. Taking him out of the crate while barking or whining is positive reinforcement and he'll learn that barking means you'll come take him out. 

I guess that will get you through the first few important days. There are many more helpful hints on training, etc. on Google and great books on puppy training and making him part of your family.

Most importantly, a properly trained, well behaved dog is a happy dog and a relaxed owner. Puppy classes are available at shelters and pet stores. It's important to begin as soon as puppy shots are completed.

Enjoy Harley!!!!  😄

Esteemed Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

Congratulations on your new family member! I would highly recommend watching Cesar Millan (The Dog Whisperer) and purchasing (from Amazon ) his videos. So much valuable information! It will be beneficial for you and Harley.

Good luck!  Smiley Happy

Umm no.

Trusted Contributor

Totally Agree- CRATE CRATE CRATE training.  When we got our Yorkie puppie our Vet said to Crate train him.  It's the best thing you can do.  Google it and read about it.  After ours was a year old, we no longer kept the crate.  He never messed in the house only went outdoors.  It will make your life and your dog's life happy.   After my dog was 6 months old, I took him to a group doggie training class.   It was once a week for 6 weeks. This was also the best thing I ever did.   Though our dog has now passed, I have to say he was the best trained and most well behaved dog we ever had.   I really put the time into making that happen.

Honored Contributor

Socialize, socialize, socialize.

The hardest thing about that is balancing socialization and his vaccination schedule.  You want to get him out early to mix and mingle but you also must be sure he's protected (and you're protecting those who meet and greet him).

Choose quality food.  My dog is fond of Fromm and I like that it's designed so you can switch flavors without upsetting your dog's system.

Break bad habits early.  Don't let him gnaw on you.

Talk to him and sing to him.  A lot!

Quit your job if you have one because this breed is going to want you to play with him 24/7.  This is a smart dog and he will require intellectual stimulation to avoid boredom.

And, of course, just love him and be patient.  He's a baby.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor

How exciting! Youve gotten lots of good advice. The one thing I would add is get a black light. You can find them on Amazon and they are not expensive. This will allow you to see places where the puppy relieved himself that you may have missed and you can make sure to remove all traces with a good enzyme cleaner. Goodness knows it is hard to whatch them 24/7. Also, be patient with the new addition and with yourself. Usually when you think they are never going to get it, surprise, they do.    

Esteemed Contributor

This is exciting news! Congratulations on your new addition. Nothing better than puppy love.

You have been given good advice. I will add, when you take your puppy outside to do his business, you train him to go in a certain area of your yard (unless you will walk him to do his business?). This way he will learn that is his spot and you won't be cleaning your entire yard.

Take him out first thing in the morning, last thing at night and about 15-20 minutes after a meal.

Good luck and send pictures if you can!

Valued Contributor

Formal training if you can.  I was fortunate in that when I got my Lab I discovered a man who owns, breeds, and trains Retrievers.  He also offers several levels of training for all dogs, beginning with "Puppy Kindergarten."  My pooch loved that so much that I signed her up for 2 sessions.  

In classes like this the dogs are socialized, allowed to run with other dogs, and begin basic training.  Classes go up to agility training - hurdles, ramps, etc.  (I never got past Puppy Kindergarten plus one semi-advanced training class.)  

You can bond with your dog in a very special way.

PS - I love Goldendoodles and Labradoodles.  Sweetest dogs!

Trusted Contributor

Congratulations on your new addition. Life will be interesting now to say the least, but so worth it. I have never crated and personally I do not believe in it, but some swear by it. Good luck to you ... nothing better than a best friend.

Honored Contributor

This may fly in the face of some of your recommendations but it was very necessary for me based on my living situation (alone in an upper level apartment) and was extremely helpful to have my dog learn the skill.

I did paper training for my miniature poodle.  She absolutely went outside 99% of the time but during the puppy period and at the end when control is also a problem it saved my sleep and my floors.  She knew if she needed to go overnight or while I was at work, she had a place.  Rarely was it used.

I put a treat box next to the puppy pad and she picked it up in half a day.  Move the pad closer to the outside door and then you're golden.  Only recomend this for small dogs for obvious reasons so may or may not be for you but an option if you're living situation requires it.

And watch the toys!  If your dog likes to rip them apart like mine did, make sure you confiscate before they swallow something and cause a problem for you and for them.  

Congratulations!!

Honored Contributor

I envy you, I always enjoyed training a new puppy. I got so much satisfaction out of being part of a well trained pets life.. My friends and relatives would always comment on how well my pets behaved.