Respected Contributor

It is never "necessary" to do anything in particular at any party.  Customary is not "necessary".

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Contributor

I have always found these games to be silly and childish. I am sure men don't do these things at their "get togethers"

Respected Contributor

People love or hate games.  I'm not a fan, but I do like to win a prize, LOL!  If you want an excuse to give prizes, just have everyone address an empty envelope with their address on it (which the bride to be can use for thank you notes), and draw random winners from them.

Honored Contributor

I can only recall one bridal shower where there were games.  It was at someone's home ... a garden party.

Most of the other showers were at restaurants ... no games.  More like cocktail parties than showers.

Honored Contributor

No!

Esteemed Contributor

I have always hated those stupid games!!!!!  I would much rather chat with the others.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: bridal shower games

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Is it necessary to play games at a very small and intimate shower?  This is about 18 people and mostly I get to know you party.  It is an older bride and she is definitely not a "bridezilla" kinda girl.

No, it's not necessary.  

I've been to a lot of showers over the years, and most of them didn't have any games.  I think it depends on the people involved.  I would always rather spend time socializing, whether I was a guest or the bride.  One fast, cute game would be okay with me (especially an icebreaker kind of thing if everyone doesn't know each other), but more than that can become tedious.  And sometimes childish, even more so if the bride and guests are older.

But there are no hard and fast rules.  Whatever will make the shower enjoyable for the guests and make the bride-to-be happy!

Respected Contributor

Leave the games to children. I never cared for this silliness. I much prefered talking with the people, getting caught up with family members and eating and drinking. No games please!

Esteemed Contributor

Bridal shower games are just plain silly IMO. I've never been to a bridal shower where the guests looked forward to playing games. Good conversations, good food and happiness for the bride are all that is needed.

Honored Contributor
Shower games are inane and awful; I don't think anyone would say they enjoy them if they are honest; ditch the game idea, serve great food and drink, and enjoy each other's company.