Respected Contributor

anyone hired a moving company for cross country move?

so this is the thing.  i am currently living in Oregon. wanting to move to probably Louisiana.  

just started looking in moving cost. $$$$$$$ to put it mildly. 

u haul, to rent the largest truck one way is 5k.

we're thinking we will need at least 2 trucks, each towing a vehicle. oy! and then another trip to rent a van to transport pets. 

i'm thinking maybe it would be better to hire a moving company?  u haul, is close to 6k for one truck, one way.  not to mention, gas, extra insurance, and motel. it's about a 3 day drive. you could probably push it hard in 2, but i'd rather not.

van for the pets to get down safely another 1200, plus the extras (gas, motel, ect) 

it's just a little overwhelming. i've looked at trying to get some kind of quote from movers, and they all want a phone # along with email. 

not really quite ready to start dodging the calls.  anyone have some experience/knowledge with this?  

any insights will help.  TIA

we are probably going to do this move in stages, not all at once. way too much/many pets, vehicles, and stuff. lol

Honored Contributor

Re: anyone hired a moving company for cross country move?

@kittyloo    No matter how you do it, get rid of all the furniture you possibly can.  If your sofa is somewhat worn, get rid of it and buy a new one at your destination.  I did that and saved a lot of money, less than the estimate.  Look at big, heavy pieces and see if you can live without them. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

I've moved cross country twice....once east to PA then back to CA.  That was in the 80's and moving companies are very expensive.  Since then I have learned it's far cheaper to use a company called ABF Freight.  You pack your own belongings...they park a semi trailer at your house and you load it....then they pick it up and deliver it to your new residence.  There is sometimes a delay in delivery as they usually take more then one household.  If you have a large amount it might take two trailers.  PODs is another way to go, same type of senario but on a smaller scale.  

Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

so this is the thing.  i am currently living in Oregon. wanting to move to probably Louisiana.  

just started looking in moving cost. $$$$$$$ to put it mildly. 

u haul, to rent the largest truck one way is 5k.

we're thinking we will need at least 2 trucks, each towing a vehicle. oy! and then another trip to rent a van to transport pets. 

i'm thinking maybe it would be better to hire a moving company?  u haul, is close to 6k for one truck, one way.  not to mention, gas, extra insurance, and motel. it's about a 3 day drive. you could probably push it hard in 2, but i'd rather not.

van for the pets to get down safely another 1200, plus the extras (gas, motel, ect) 

it's just a little overwhelming. i've looked at trying to get some kind of quote from movers, and they all want a phone # along with email. 

not really quite ready to start dodging the calls.  anyone have some experience/knowledge with this?  

any insights will help.  TIA

we are probably going to do this move in stages, not all at once. way too much/many pets, vehicles, and stuff. lol

Look into PODS.

Super Contributor

We bmoved from central NY to SW FL is 2001. Yes it was expensive, but the service we got was well worth it. Two guys in a large truck took all oyr stuff out of the old house andtook it to our prenetone. They didn't just drop everything in the garageand leave. The put things where I wanted them. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Have you tried Budget Van Lines?  I never used them, though.  

I used United Van Lines to move across the country.  It was expensive, but they did everything.  No headaches on my part.  Everything insured.

Don't be so quick to sell everything.  It might cost you more to replace it.  I lightened the load by getting rid of things that weren't important to me.  Replacing my furniture and decorative accessories  would have cost a lot more money to replace than moving them.  

Only you know the value of your furniture.  

Super Contributor

We used Atlas Van Lines.......What a mess!!   We lost many, many boxes . They were mixed in with other peoples boxes. 

As for furniture, do not take unless you know it will look as well in your new place.  We ended up not keeping one thing in the way of furniture that we payed $$$$ for to have moved. 

If we had it to do over, it would be done differently & saved lots of $$$$ & lost stuff!  ..... Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

I did not move cross country - just NY to Delaware.  I agree about the furniture.  I was going to take it all but ended up bringing just 2 pieces.  I purchased new couch, bedroom and casual dining table when I got here. 

I also got rid of alot of things I thought I could not live without.  As I had just retired, I got donated clothes, shoes, etc. to a local woman's shelter and YWCA.  I sold some small furniture items on Facebook Marketplace and Next Door.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

ON MY LAST MOVE WHICH WAS FROM west Texas to Albuquerque, I used Bekins and they did a wonderful job.  I couldn't have been more pleased. 

Weed out your book if any.  They're very heavy. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@kittyloo Having moved from Northern California to Florida, I can tell you the absolute best thing to do is get rid of everything you possibly can!! Odds are you will not like your old furniture in a new place anyway. I cannot stress enough that selling/donating your stuff while in Oregon rather than hauling it is the cheapest, and smartest thing to do. And by the way, you will LOVE the people in Louisiana. They are some of the warmest, kindest people anywhere.