Honored Contributor

I have a pair of J Jill pants that have a sewn in elastic wasit band, the waist lay nice and flat but....not easy to alter!  I am between sizes the 10 fits fine in the waist but snug in the high thigh area...so I had to get the size 12....

I wore them yesterday, and they are a little uncomfortable to wear, I was hiking them up all day.

I can do a short pleat on each side of the center seam...is that the correct way to alter the pants....since the waist band is sewn in and not in a casing, I don't even know how I would take the waist in...any thoughts?  Thanks

Honored Contributor

Best would be to take it to a tailor, but if you want to do it on your own, you can either make two darts in the back or just run a seam down the back seam

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox...if I take a seam down the center back the seam would be thick and if I would trim  the seam the top edge would not be finished...the elastic is sew to the fabric at the top with about a 1/4 in of the pant fabric showing.  You are probably right I need to take it to someone to fix....it's so irritating pants NEVER fit in the waist for me.

Honored Contributor

If they don't have side pockets, I would take them in at the side seams and taper the end of it down to a dart like point, finishing up in the actual seam.

Hope that's clearer than mud!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2DogsSo frustrating, isn't it?  Tops seem to be way more accommodating than pants!

Thanks to a medical scare, I'm thinner this summer than last. I know my blood levels have improved.  That's all good.  I feel better and expect to be told I am better when I see the doctor tomorrow. 

Either way, nothing fits well.  I actually dug out an old belt to wear with pants that have loops just to hold some pants where they feel more comfortable.  But when there are no belt loops, I need the tailor.  I never tuck so I don't need the most elegant job, but like you the size 10 is too small except at my waist, so I bought some 12's.    Hoping for some magic!

Honored Contributor

I would open the waistband, then do the seam from the front to the back , sew it twice for strength, then cut it to 5/8" .Make the elastic fit your waist and then resew the waistband closed. Really, this is the more difficult way to do this but you won't be sorry you made the effort to do it properly.

Honored Contributor

I have taken in lots of pants at the  waist, but they did not have the elastic waist.

The problem with this particular pair of pants is the elastic is  sewn down at the top and the bottom of the elastic, so it is not simple....it's the elastic that is the problem.  I would have to cut the elastic so that the pants would stay flat after altering.

I can 'see' how they are put together but it's intimidating to think about taking them apart.  The pants were a bit pricy for me to ruin....I guess there is  not an easy fix, I will probably have to take them to a seamstress.

Honored Contributor

I would definitely take them to a seamstress.  I don't sew, but even if I did they sound too complicated to attempt yourself.  Every pair of full length pants that I buy are too long for me.  I just plan on taking everything to be hemmed.  I buy a lot of ankle length pants so I don't have to do that.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@millieshops...hope your doctor visit goes well tomorrow!

Honored Contributor

I have done as you've explained, actually taking it in but at the sides, kind of a dart going from the waist band down as long as I needed to depending on how big the hips were.  I trimmed the excess.  Then I hand sewed a "finish" over the exposed area with a thread that matched the actual pant material.  I forget the name of this stitch but you take it into the material and out and put the needle through the loop and it makes a line out of the thread at the top, very neat looking.

There is no easy way to take pants like this in unless you're willing to unpick the entire elastic sewn into the top of the pants.  Some of these have rows and rows of stitching.  It's expensive to have done as well, but you could ask a seamstress.  Don't forget to ask her about the hip line as well (which would be bigger) and may need tapering prior to putting the waistband on again.

I hope you're able to fix your pants.... good luck!  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*