Frequent Contributor

Re: 🌥🌈Your thoughts on gratitude and gratitude journals?

@libbyannE wrote:

Gratitude is essential to a happy life and peace of mind. Sorry for stating the obvious. It's a part of my daily spiritual practice and has been for decades. I recall when one particular author came out with a book about it maybe ?20 years ago, which was great. But, to be honest, it wasn't anything new. I don't journal my gratitude; it's just a part of me. During some emotionally tough times in 2016, I found it calming and centering to stop, breathe, and think about all   The blessings for which I'm grateful. When I lie in bed and do a prayer of gratitude, my list of blessings is so very long that I always fall asleep in the midst of  thinking about each one. 

@libbyannE, sometimes we need to state the obvious as a reminder. Smiley Happy I'm sorry 2016 had some tough times and hope 2017 will be much, much better. Love your comment about the long list of blessings in your prayer of gratitude! You make me smile. Thank you. 

Frequent Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

Before the holidays, I thought about this alot.  I have an adult son that is an addict.  Since the summer, matters have gotten worse and I have had to dig deeper into my faith, which I have to say had been very much waning the past years. I know that journaling helps, but who has time?  I looked into bullet journaling and that wasnt me either. I just wanted a hope, a wish, a sign, a sentence even just a word as to how I was on that day.  I want to renew my faith and just turn it over...to large a burden for me alone. I came across a book of daily affirmations, they seemed to speak to me, so what I did was just read the short one page affirmation, see how it related to my life that day and on the page write down anything I wanted.  Hopes, disappointments, blessings etc.  I started in Oct, as there were only dates, no years.  It takes me all of 10 minutes every night.  It helps, not everyday, but more days than not.  It has given me a sense of purpose and a little hope.

You post is inspirational, @meem120. My prayers for you and your son. I like the suggestion of a book of positive daily inspirations and will look for one. Thank you for sharing with us.

Frequent Contributor

@chvall99 wrote:

Good morning, 

This is one of my new year's resolutions.  My sister gave me a beautiful blank journal and I will be entering in one thing I am grateful for or a nice moment every day.  I try to be grateful every day but I like the idea of creating a written record that I can re-visit during the year.  

Thank you for the suggestions for journal entries.

Good afternoon, @chvall99! Enjoy your new journal! Thank you for posting. 

Frequent Contributor

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

I just stated a Memory Jar on Jan. 1.  Puddles (Sidewalk Cafe) gave me the idea.  Making notes every day (I hope) and putting it in jar.  Goal is to read all the notes on New Years Eve 2017.  An option to a journal if you wish.

Image result for memory jar    A sample of memory jar

This is a great idea, @AnikaBrodie! So many ways to use it and it might be a thoughtful, small gift for someone next Christmas. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

I've been journaling off & on for about 20 years now.    My  journal may have a recipe, a movie or TV show I enjotyed, a Bible verse or any number of items.     When I travel, I journal about my trip.    It's a good excuse to slow down, take a deep breath and spend time with my inner self.    I always try to recall different people in my life who are important to me.  I've lived a very blessed life.    So it's easy for me to be grateful.    But it's a habit that needs to be developed.   We are all not born with the ability.    Some days I pick up my journal and my mind is blank.   Other days I write pages.    When it becomes habit, you  may not be able to stop!    It's really great to go back and read old posts.

If I have a money worry, I'll jot down a few things about my budget to put it in perspective & to give my mind a break from the worry.   It does help.

My only advice would be to not put rules on yourself regarding the timing or topics.    Write what you want, when you want.    It will eventually become 2nd nature.

@hildyjohnson wrote:

The new year finds me reading about the value of gratitude. 

I'm also reading about the practice of writing in a gratitude journal.

Any thoughts on these topics or recommendations about keeping a journal?

tia! And Happy New Year!

Honored Contributor

Nice thoughts and a nice thread. My journal is with me at all times. No writing as it sits on top of my shoulders, safest place to keep my journal completely private, unless I choose to otherwise.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hildyjohnson

It's a good time to start reading the book. It has an entry for each day of the year, beginning January 1st.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

@hildyjohnson

Thank you. I sooooo agree about the value of being reminded,

Honored Contributor

I tried to write every night in a journal when I was dx with breast cancer in 2012. But I was so scared and so angry that it turned into a get mad and get even journal as I filled up pages with anger and frustations over what I was going thru. And it helped me alot. I think writing is a perfect way to get the bad juju out of your system. At the time there was a dark cloud over me and I couldn't see anything to be greatful for. But I got thru all of it and now can be greatful for what I went thru. Sometimes you need to get down and dirty before you can smell like a rose!!! I re- read those pages on occassion  and am so greatful that I am a survivor of 5 years now.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I think it can be helpful, especially for situations or people who often see the glass half full. 

There is usually so much to be grateful for, even when it doesn't seem that way.