Frequent Contributor

🌥🌈Your thoughts on gratitude and gratitude journals?

The new year finds me reading about the value of gratitude. 

I'm also reading about the practice of writing in a gratitude journal.

Any thoughts on these topics or recommendations about keeping a journal?

tia! And Happy New Year!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 🌥🌈Your thoughts on gratitude and gratitude journals?

@hildyjohnson I think that is a wonderful idea, so often times we get caught up on ALL of the negative we find it hard to look for the good that is all around us, this kind of goes with my New Year Resolution to stop being so negative about life, and focus on the good in myself and all that the good that the world has to offer!

Thanks for posting!

Respected Contributor

Gratitude embraces the soul. It is the gift you give to your life/journey.

Honored Contributor

@hildyjohnson

Here are some prompts to get started-

30 days of gratitude

Honored Contributor

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I think just being thankful as you go through the day is the best--and I don't need more stuff to do or keep like a journal.  When I wear a piece of clothing I like, I am grateful!  When I eat something I like, when someone contacts me, when I feel good, etc.  Just get in the habit of being happy and appreciative of blessings.  

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I think just being thankful as you go through the day is the best--and I don't need more stuff to do or keep like a journal.  When I wear a piece of clothing I like, I am grateful!  When I eat something I like, when someone contacts me, when I feel good, etc.  Just get in the habit of being happy and appreciative of blessings.  

I make this a habit, too.  Also, at night, I silently name all the things I am grateful for. 

Honored Contributor

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

I just started a new gratitude journal last month. I used to keep one faithfully, and it really improved my attitude.  I'm a worrier and can easily get carried away by dark thoughts, so gratitude keeps me on track.

Years ago I read the book "Simple Abundance", by Sarah van Breathnach. I might have spelled her name incorrectly. I now have it on my Kindle and I read it whenever I remeber.  Some of it is dated, but it's still a wonderful book.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Gratitude is essential to a happy life and peace of mind. Sorry for stating the obvious. It's a part of my daily spiritual practice and has been for decades. I recall when one particular author came out with a book about it maybe ?20 years ago, which was great. But, to be honest, it wasn't anything new. I don't journal my gratitude; it's just a part of me. During some emotionally tough times in 2016, I found it calming and centering to stop, breathe, and think about all   The blessings for which I'm grateful. When I lie in bed and do a prayer of gratitude, my list of blessings is so very long that I always fall asleep in the midst of  thinking about each one.