Honored Contributor

Re: Your oldest gift/present

[ Edited ]

Birthday or Christmas present?

No idea

Trusted Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

What is the oldest gift or present you received for a birthday or Christmas that you still have.  Mine is a transitor radio I received from my parents when I was about 13.  It still works.  How or why I decided to keep it, I have no idea, but having it makes me smile with memories. 

Mine is a pair of beautiful tri-color gold dangling earrings my mom got me for Christmas 30+ years ago. I forgot I still had them, I found them in my jewelry box a couple of weeks ago. 

Honored Contributor

I still have the dress my great grandfather bought for me when I was born, It is pink with a lot of lace. 

My mom was a little woman, barely 100 lbs, but when she got pregnant, she would go up to like 190, she was huge.

My great grandfather was the only one that thought she was having a girl, everyone else said a boy. So he bought my very first dress. 

I also have a small cookie jar my grandpa got for me when I was maybe 2. It is for Christmas, and I still decorate with it and some other small Christmas items I got as a young child. 

Respected Contributor

14k scarab line bracelet that I desperately wanted for my 12th birthday. I still wear it! 

Respected Contributor

A white gold pinkie ring with a black and a white pearl from my mother decades ago.  I still wear it occasionally.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Trusted Contributor

Santa brought me a Kissy doll when I was 8 years old.  I'm now 63.  She sits in a chair in my 2nd bedroom.  A few years ago I had her refurbished - dress & shoes cleaned/repaired and her hair redone. 

She still kisses too!

Honored Contributor

As a young newlywed, my grandmother gave me my great grandmother's wedding china.

Honored Contributor

A gold-plated bracelet given to me when I was three or four -- many, many decades ago.

Contributor

Thanks for such a sweet post!

The oldest gifts I still have are two books that my maternal grandmother gave me when I was a child. One was "Little Women," the other is a large book of "The World's Greatest Fairytales." She wrote a message on the first page of each book and I treasure them because I feel close to her every time I read what she wrote to me. I loved her beautiful and unique cursive writing style.

I also have a tiny wooden puzzle of a group of kittens having a picnic. It was made by Victory puzzle company and was also given to me by my grandmother. I can't believe I still have all of the pieces after all these years, but I keep it inside a little cedar box. 

Esteemed Contributor

Mine is a locket that my husband bought for me a year after we met. One side of the locket contains small sapphires and the other side has small rubies. They’re set in a 14k gold heart. The locket opens and I placed a picture of each one of us inside. I’ve had the locket for over 50 years.