Honored Contributor

Re: Your childhood interests compared to your adult interests.

I am an only child so there is nothing "normal" about my childhood!!   LOL

But I loved history then and even more so now.

I also still have many of my Nancy Drew books and still love to read thrillers &  mysteries.

There were mostly boys in my neighborhood growing up so I played with them.   We had the little metal cars, we made roads in the dust and played "cars" for hours.   We also rode our bicycles all day.   I still wish I could ride, but my equilibrium is not what it used to be, neither are my bones!   I broke a wrist 2 years ago when I fell on ice.    I'm not brave enough to ride a bicycle now.  But I still drive a car.  Smiley Happy   And I still like "boys"!

@house_cat wrote:

It only recently occured to me that the interests I have now, are the same ones I had as a child.  

Being born the same year as Barbie, I was always an avid fan of hers. However, with my Barbies it was less about the clothes and more about the home.  I spent hours on end creating furniture out of cardboard and finding miniature items for her kitchen.  I remember modeling pots and pans for her out of Play-doh and fashioning sheets and bedding out of my mom's sewing scraps. My mom served us fresh brussels sprouts one night and it struck me that they were mini-cabbages. I snuck one into my pocket for my Barbie kitchen and can still remember the smell of that brussel sprout when I opened my Barbie case days later!  I begged for an Easy-Bake oven for Christmas and my mom told me that it was "junk" and if I wanted to bake I could use the real oven.  Well, I haven't stopped since.

I was a child sized dynamo when it came to rearranging my bedroom furniture. We didn't have a lot of money for fussy stuff, but it cost nothing to rearrange the furniture.  It drove my mom nuts how often I did it.  I still do that, and it used to drive my husband crazy, too, but learned to go with the flow, lol.

I never had a messy room and organizing my closet, draws and shelves was a game to me.  I loved it!  When everything was neat and tidy I could settle in with a book and enjoy it.  That's exactly what I do now.

Anyway, it makes me smile when I think that now I am still playing house, but with real adult sized stuff.  

I thought it might be fun to pose the question here - 

Are the interests you have as an adult the same as those you had as a child?  How so?

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat, I, too, was a Barbie fanatic.  I was always making furniture and accessories out of cardboard and used my mom's handkerchiefs as bedding, etc.  I still love Barbies now (although I don't play with them any longer....LOL).  None of my nieces or daughters of friends of mine really took to them like I did.  I think today's girls prefer the American Girl dolls and accessories.  However, I included a Barbie & some clothes in the Operation Shoe Box I put together this year for a young girl.

As for my other interests, I still have pretty much the same tastes as far as food goes but I've expanded my tastebuds as I've gotten older.  I never had a sweet tooth as a child and had no interest in baking.  That still holds true today....I'd rather cook.  Growing up, I was an interior designer with my bedroom.  I was always moving things around and creating a mini apartment.  My place now is fairly small and filled up.  The way it was designed doesn't leave me with any options to move things around although I will sit in my recliner at night and think about it a lot....just can't find a workable alternative.  I loved to read biographies and autobiographies as a child and that still holds true today.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Mine would be music.  I remember comparing my small piano keyboard to our big piano and starting to play it.  I was not allowed lessons so I taught myself to play, mostly gospel and country.  I never did get good enough to play classical.

I have sang since, I remember Daddy standing me on the table in the front of the church.  I have directed local groups for the last 15 years.  Never thought I would be doing that at this age.  I did take student directing in high school but all the rules do not apply when most of your group do not read music, they just love to sing.  When they "meld" it is beautiful . . . plus it is fun and keeps us young!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd have  become a Prima Ballerina or a file clerk. The office atmosphere I loved. I loved dancing and music and reading.

Honored Contributor

I have always been interested in sewing and still am, but no other childhood interests have followed me into adulthood.

Honored Contributor

I don't really remember having any actual interests as a child, except that I did always love animals.  I think most of my effort and attention went toward survival.

I still love animals and actually do still love stuffed animals.  I have quite a few and I just adore them.  I guess that's a childhood holdover, but whatever.  If it makes me smile and feel joy I don't care what anybody else thinks.  Smiley Happy

As an adult one of my favorite interests became scuba diving.  Of course, that was partially due to the animals of the sea, and fishies of course.  It was the most beautiful, serene atmosphere I have ever encountered.   No horrible stuff, you are just encompassed with the quiet beauty of being under water and swimming with the other animals.  It's the most awesome thing, in terms of 'things I loved doing' that this life has given me.  I miss it greatly.

Honored Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain

Thank you for the memory! I had forgotten that I used my mom's lace hankies for my Barbie bedding!

My house is small, also, and though every space is being used, it's not cluttered.  That's a daily challenge, but it doesn't stop me from moving things around, lol.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Pretty much the same, although I keep my house neater.  I'm still a country person and can only take so much of the city.

Respected Contributor

@mzlg wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

The same! My piano and music, in general. Reading. History. Family history. The paranormal. Writing. Languages. Architecture and design. Family. Nature. Animals--esp. cats. News. Learning. Meteorology. Geology. Maps. And more. I seem to be boringly consistent. 

@libbyannE, I would say that with all of your diversified interests you would never be bored or never be boring ... & being consistent is a good thing.

Have a good day.

@mzlg

Thank you! What a nice thing to say! 

Honored Contributor

I would say reading and listening to the radio, as a child I could do both and it didn't cost anything. I was always at the library and I remember listening to my transistor radio late at night under the covers.