Honored Contributor

Your childhood interests compared to your adult interests.

[ Edited ]

It only recently occured to me that the interests I have now, are the same ones I had as a child.  

Being born the same year as Barbie, I was always an avid fan of hers. However, with my Barbies it was less about the clothes and more about the home.  I spent hours on end creating furniture out of cardboard and finding miniature items for her kitchen.  I remember modeling pots and pans for her out of Play-doh and fashioning sheets and bedding out of my mom's sewing scraps. My mom served us fresh brussels sprouts one night and it struck me that they were mini-cabbages. I snuck one into my pocket for my Barbie kitchen and can still remember the smell of that brussel sprout when I opened my Barbie case days later!  I begged for an Easy-Bake oven for Christmas and my mom told me that it was "junk" and if I wanted to bake I could use the real oven.  Well, I haven't stopped since.

I was a child sized dynamo when it came to rearranging my bedroom furniture. We didn't have a lot of money for fussy stuff, but it cost nothing to rearrange the furniture.  It drove my mom nuts how often I did it.  I still do that, and it used to drive my husband crazy, too, but learned to go with the flow, lol.

I never had a messy room and organizing my closet, draws and shelves was a game to me.  I loved it!  When everything was neat and tidy I could settle in with a book and enjoy it.  That's exactly what I do now.

Anyway, it makes me smile when I think that now I am still playing house, but with real adult sized stuff.  

I thought it might be fun to pose the question here - 

Are the interests you have as an adult the same as those you had as a child?  How so?

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Your childhood interests compared to your adult interests.

I have read since I was a kid and love reading now. I remember reading Heidi over and over as a kid.   I also loved art and colored pens and I still do!!!

Honored Contributor

Interesting-- my major interests then were interior design and reading too!  As they are today.  As a child I also loved maps and geography-- I could daydream forever over an open atlas.  Still love maps.  I started being interested in politics at about 12 with my Dad and i watching Bill Buckley's "Firing Line", and I still follow that pretty avidly too.  I liked antiques and jewelry and animals back then, and still do. I decided very young that I wanted to adopt when I grew up, and voila, we did!  

I became very interested in the pop culture of earlier eras-- Twenties, Thirties and Forties-- when i was a kid, and that fascination has stuck around too! 

Honored Contributor

As  a child I always entered contests and such to win a prize. I never thought about that until as An adult I started to enter contests and sweepstakes in my thirties....it became a fun hobby to win lots of great things..... and then one day I was going through my  old childhood picture album and saw all the letters from companies thanking me for entering their contest.  I suppose it is in my blood or something....wanting to win! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I hit junior high, I progressed from Heidi to Gothic Mysteries.  Those are still my favorite type  books. 

When I was a kid my mom and dad both worked.  I would come home after school and make supper for the family. I was NOT very old.  I still love to cook and I love cooking gadgets. 

Thank you for this wonderful subject.  I never thought about it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The same! My piano and music, in general. Reading. History. Family history. The paranormal. Writing. Languages. Architecture and design. Family. Nature. Animals--esp. cats. News. Learning. Meteorology. Geology. Maps. And more. I seem to be boringly consistent. 

Honored Contributor

I've always liked to read and to do needlework

Honored Contributor

My core interests are much the same now as when I was a child. I was taught to read at age four and have never stopped. I have always loved to learn by reading. Have been interested in history since I could talk, many different times and places from ancient civilizations to now. The same with other cultures and customs, including art, music and architecture. I've always been a cat and horse lover. I love all animals though. I've also always loved, and been good at, writing creatively.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@house_cat

Mine will be very short here, yes me! I remember hockey from about age 5, and loved the game. I started my own Adult Hockey League just 6 months shy of 23 years old. I ran it solo, nothing delegated to anyone, the buck started and stopped with me.

Little did I know at age 76 that I would still running my hockey league, solo. Mostly good times, but had to made some hard discisions, many cost me good friendships.

Short, remember?  At the age of "double 7's" I still love the game.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

My interests are mostly the same too.  I have always been a reader and always loved to cook and bake.

My parents worked and I made dinner when I came home from school.  I was around 11 years old at that time.

When I got married at age 19, my husband was thrilled that I could cook and made everything from scratch.  The only problem was, I always cooked for seven people and had a difficult time trying to cook for two people.    I made too much food.

I would never wear wrinkled clothing when I was a kid and learned to iron because I was so picky.  I am still very much like that.  I even iron my pillow cases.

I was always crazy about clean windows and used to wash the ones in my bedroom with vinegar water and newspapers at least once a month when I was a kid.  I still wash windows often.  Even a small smudge on them bothers me.

I used to rearrange my bedroom furniture when I was a kid like you House_cat, but I never rearrange my furniture now.  I have enough problems trying to move it to vacuum.