Honored Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

Not really strange. In some states if there is no will and no family all assets fall to the state.

@Sheila P-Burg 

Hopefully people will take care of business so the State does not get a dime.

Now the Bank won't let his mom put DH on her checking account. That's ridiculous. My dad put me & another sister on his account. DH said they looked at him like he was trying to rip her off. 

Honored Contributor

It was my experience with my mothers will that the attorney had to follow it down to the letter.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

An executer is charged with following the Will to the letter.  I am not sure how that would be policed however, especially in this case. Often the body is buried/cremated before the will is normally read anyway.

@Peaches McPhee 

Who reads the Will? How is this done? My dads step daughter asked after he passed when we were going to have the reading of the Will. My sister laughed at her & said they only do that in the movies???

When my dad passed no Will was read. 

Trusted Contributor

Your will is not the place to state your preferences for the disposition of your body and plans for your funeral.  Wills are usually not read until well after the funeral.  Make your preferences known to those close to you or pre-arrange your own funeral (best choice).

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

If your MIL is still capable of saying what she wants, and all of her children are aware of what she wants, this is not a big issue.   

So if her will says she wants her kids to divide her money equally and SHE says and all of her children are aware that she wants all of her money to go to the animal shelter, that's what will happen?

I don't think so.

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

@sandy53  .... In certain instances a will is the place to state your preferences for disposition of your body and your funeral. A will is a legal and binding dicument. I have notified the executors named in my will of my preferences and furnished them with a copy of the will. I have chosen have my requests done this way so that there is no question as to why certain things were done.

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

If your MIL is still capable of saying what she wants, and all of her children are aware of what she wants, this is not a big issue.   

@RedTop 

Correct.

Wills are not laws.

They are, for lack of a better word, requests.

I have not heard of the police beating down the door and arresting someone, and throwing them in prison because a will said that Mom assets were to be split evenly, but everyone knew that she had actually wanted it to go to charity.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819  ... Once again would depend on the laws of the State you live in and any lawsuits that might be filed.

Honored Contributor

Resolve this issue by having your MIL pre-plan her funeral.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Resolve this issue by having your MIL pre-plan her funeral.   

Exactly.  I thought most people who have specific wishes, do this.  You meet with the funeral director in advance, make your wishes known, pay for it, and it's done