Respected Contributor

Re: Your Post is Important to me . . .

@hopi wrote:

@truffle wrote:

I've been guilty of doing repetitive commas,,,,don't know how I got into that habit but I will work on it! 

@truffle

I love repetitive commas

you dont' need to work on anything.

Thanks hopi! 

Trusted Contributor

@x Hedge, nice list of reminders about the structure of our posts.

My post below is long ... but I had/have a lot to write about ... in a manner of speaking!

I use ~ between thoughts or what maybe considered paragraphs ... perhaps making it easier to read.

The choice is yours to read or not to read ... 

~

One point that could/should be added is the size of the Font.  One poster commented that her eyes were failing her and she would pass over the ones in small print ... so I've made a point of using a larger font ... size 3 ... she remarked that she really appreciated it ... I know she doesn't pass over my comments ... because she told me so ... (((smile)))!

If I copy/quote someone's post that is in small print, I will enlarge it to size 2 ... I will also use this size 2 when I write a postscript to thank someone for posting a request/situation in behalf of someone.

ex. Quoting your comment ... that's in tiny font ...

"I'm not the post police, and I'm certainly not having any trouble reading the vast majority of posts. But I hate having to skip over parts of the conversation, missing the content just because the visuals are so daunting. Mobile setting further changes your post's visual presentation"

See ... size 2, now makes it much easier to read ... for those with failing eyes ... now it won't get passed over because it was too tiny.~

I'll use the small font ... size 1 ... for notations ...

(IHTH) / I Hope This Helps  ... etc., etc., etc.

~

I, personally enjoy the variety & various clusters that other posters have in their remarks ... it shows creativity and imagination  ... a gesture or a bad word, but not spelled out ... !!! ... or ??? ((smile))

~

I like to use ... and @truffle likes to use ,,,

According to: Robert Charles Lee, 35+ years in editorial & publishing, British speaker, work in American English

Those three dots are together known as ellipsis (plural: elipses) -- or "suspension point" in the printing trade.
The principal (and traditional) function is to indicate intentional omission of a word, section or a whole section of text.
However, it has come to pass that the ellipsis is also used as a visual cue or signal in the text to show 4 possible things:

1. Something more is to come (e.g. to break up longer turns in conversations).

2. Politeness, such as to show changing of the topic or hesitation.

3. Silence or pause, such as to show confusion, disagreement or disapproval (and this was started in the comic strips and comic books in the 1950s to show "trailing-off silence").

Updated to add:

4. Some sort of 'deeper' meaning implied by the writer or for the recipient to figure out.

In other words, the ellipsis is also to inject a personalised flavour into the message.

~

Just thought this was interesting ... at least to me!  (((Hugs))) and (((Smiles)))

Have a good evening and a better tomorrow!

The End / Fin

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all for your posts, but I'm not here to change anyone's style. Not my job. @truffle, you keep on posting all the commas the mods will allow.

I want to read all the posts, and presumably people post their contributions here because they want them to be read.

I skip some posts, but they're not skipped due to content or point of view.

For example, there's one lady who posts quite a bit here, but I'm sorry to say I've never been able to get past the first few sentences before I feel like I'm going cross-eyed.

I don't think she would recognize her own posts if she viewed them in mobile, as many readers do.

For as much as she writes, I'm sure she'd be surprised she's routinely skipped for one of the reasons in my original post. On the other hand @indoor kitty, your posts are always a delight to read. 

Trusted Contributor

hopi wrote:

truffle wrote:

I've been guilty of doing repetitive commas,,,,don't know how I got into that habit but I will work on it! 

@truffle

I love repetitive commas

you dont' need to work on anything.

@hopi, I was going to say almost the same thing!

Could this be a situation where the quote applies: Great minds think alike ...

~

@truffle, your commas are "creative characters".  Don't give up your 'personality' to please others ... if you do ... you won't be happy! 

I, personally like to use the period 3X's to break up my sentence ... I think it adds a needed pause (or whatever) in the sentence structure.

~

Have a good evening and a happy tomorrow!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If something bothers me -- or is longer than I care to read --  I just don't read it. i usually read a question, if interested, and comment, if interested, and maybe after that I scan a few but not all the comments. I have never thought about whether a commenter is using capital letters or not. Guess I don't know about hidden computer lingo of that type. It never occurred to me to be annoyed by it. These are the only boards I have ever visited and I only discovered them last winter/spring. I notice my own typos on this iPad, usually after the fact, and some posters' bad grammar, but I would never mention it.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge

why not list how you wish everyone would post. font color and size/# of sentences in a paragraph/number of words in a sentence, and where to put punctuation marks. i do not have a high school diploma and learned most of how to diagram sentences/paragraphs and punctuation marks in my catholic grade school english classes. sorry

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Hello @libbyannE . Although you are the first (I think) to introduce bad grammar, typos, spelling, and capitalization to this conversation, I haven't run accross any of those issues literally preventing me from being capable of reading or understanding any posts here

This was about those un-readable posts that give the reader eye pain, squint-headaches, crossed eyes, etc on both full and mobile settings, especially when trying to view the post on a handheld device. Also those posts that leave you reading a string of words without being able to extract clear meaning.

There's a disappointment in being unable to read a post, not an annoyance. 

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut, I love your easy to read posts.

And welcome back.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had trouble reading OP's post.  

Not everyone has the same education or capabilities as OP or other grammar police.  It's time people stop expecting others to do what they want them to do.  

Honored Contributor

I'm not a fan of long posts.  Guess I'm a person of few words!