Preteen:  Babysitting/pet sitting 

Teen:  Cheese sampler at a Wegman's grocery store

College: Waitress; receptionist and occasional cleaner at motor inn

After college:  Proofreader at a newspaper

After Graduate School: teacher for 20 plus years

Respected Contributor

Not all that terribly exciting -

Teen: Babysitting

College: Bank teller during the summer. I didn't work during school.

Career: A year in retail banking, followed by a couple of years in supply chain management for shipping supply manufacturer, followed by the bulk of my career in finance for a pharmaceutical manufacturer, working my way up the ladder from mid level professional to exec, followed by institutional investment management. 

Retirement: Volunteer in a finance capacity. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor
  • High School & College -- Macy's junior dept then summers, holidays when I was home from college. Loved that discount!
  • Job after college - Office Mgr non-profit org
  • Job after non-profit - Taught higher education for 4 years
  • Transfer to work in Student Development, higher education. Salaried positions
  • Retired from higher education career
  • Post retirement - working part-time at a college   
"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

Age 12 to 15: Paper route, Babysitting

Age 14 to 17- Assistant dance teacher

Age16 to 17- Dietary Assistant at a nursing home

College/Grad School: Caretaker in a after school program, babysitter.  During school breaks, hostess at Howard Johnson's. Later a waitress a hamburger joint.

After Grad School: Speech/Language Pathologist.  Worked for Easter Seals for 17 years then in various school districts.

Honored Contributor

I tend to ignore some of my jobs.  

Teens:  Babysitter, waitress, hotel desk clerk

Later teens:  I went to cosmetology school and did hair for 1 year.  

20s:  Went to college, managed retail stores, worked for a trucking company

20s to Retirement:  I worked for what became an international Fortune 500 company with 20,000 employees around the world. Most of my positions were in management and some included taking all the state and federal tests to be securities and insurance licensed and a supervisor, writing insurance and securities regulations for the states and federal govt, starting a new department, investigating fraud, testifying at trials, reviewing (approving or declining) securities trades, traveling the U.S. to train agents and brokers, running the incoming and outgoing mail dept, coordinating efforts across business units, project leader, and more.

I had an excellent career until the last 3 years when the Senior VP decided I was too old.  Yup, I said it. Age discrimination was rampant through the company those last 3 years.  I still have a box of documentation.  HR's job is to protect the company, not the employees, so they didn't think it was a problem. But my lawyer did. I chose to not sue because it would have threatened my pension.  I stuck it out and retired on the day my pension was 100%.  

Esteemed Contributor

Started at age 14;

Babysitting, house cleaning.

High school worked at KFC LOL @wilma 

Also waitressed for events on weekends, weddings, banquets, etc.

After high school worked as a bank teller for a couple years.

Then went on to be an order filler at a jewelry company.

Then went back to school to get my certification in dental assisting

and did that for 30 years until retiring.

It was a good run Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Your Job List

[ Edited ]

Child model ages 5-12. 

Teens through high school: baby sitting, worked at makeup counters in 2 dept. stores and sales in junior fashions. 

College years: petite model for bridal dress company, photographer's model for professional photography studios. Summers and vacations: sales/modeling in dept. stores, window displays, illustrated cookbooks and children's books for charity

After college: taught art for grades K-3, worked in several art galleries, esthetician, makeup artist (self employed), jewelry designer/sales (self employed), mua with Bobbi Brown Essentials and freelance mua for several major dept. stores. Continue modeling for photographers and petite clothing in local fashion shows.

Honored Contributor

@Miss Pepsi wrote:

Pre teen Babysitting

High school worked for Browns Chicken, Dunkin Donuts, File clerk for an automotive place.

early twenties, worked for an Apartment complex in the rental office

Mid twenties retail

30's-mid 50's I worked in various offices

Mid 50's to present worked for the Fed.  2 different agencies and I will be retiring in 26 days

@Miss Pepsi 

Wishing you the best in your upcoming retirement! 🌈

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

High school worked at KFC LOL @wilma 

Also waitressed for events on weekends, weddings, banquets, etc.

@LindaSal 

What are the odds we both worked at a KFC?! 😱

Regular Contributor

preteen babysitting

Teen worked retail at Woolco

Inventory control at Ship n Shore 11 years

Had kids babysat and cleaned

Worked Wawa while raising kids 11 years

AIG insurance as homeowner claims clerk 8years

Oh Ryan's Irish potatoes as a shrink wrapper also Christopher's Chocolates making chocolates.

Retired and watching 4 year old Grandaughter for last 4 years.