Honored Contributor

Re: You local postal carrier?

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@lolakimono thank you.  I have been writing that message on the mail for years.....this is the first time I was told not to by the carrier....I feel 'better' when I do it, hoping that she will be more carefull.

@lolakimono @Mom2Dogs I think the reason she said don't write on the mail is that SHE does not reroute the mail.  It goes to a central processing where that is done.  

How or whether she said it nicely, is another matter, but it's not like if it is addressed to the right person but your address.  It would come back to you again maybe if that were the case and it weren't written on.  Sometimes carriers are overloaded and in a hurry and don't see things.

Honored Contributor

If you put incorrectly delivered mail in your neighbor's box, it might simply go back to the post office the next day because  they may not check mail after it is delivered that day.  I wouldn't do that because it might sit there all day and over night, which isn't very safe.  Then the carrier thinks it's outgoing mail the next day and grabs it.

Just put the mail back in your mailbox the next day for collection.  Don't write on it, and it will go out with that day's mail and be sorted.  If it is your address but not your mail, put receipient unknown on the envelope.  

Easy peasy and you're not thinking about it any more.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner ....it is not my mail, not my address/name on the envelopes....she/he is not paying attention to what mail she is putting into mailboxes.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Sooner ....it is not my mail, not my address/name on the envelopes....she/he is not paying attention to what mail she is putting into mailboxes.

That's the reason she is telling you not to write on the mail.

You telling them wrong address is telling them that Jane Doe doesn't live at 123 Main Street when in fact she does. 

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Mom2Dogs My point is if you put it in someone else's mail box near you, they may be out of town, have their mail stopped, or won't open the box until the next day and their mail will set in there all night.

Just put mail that was delivered incorrectly in the box the next day so it will be picked up and go with the rest of the mail to be sorted and delivered--hopefully to the right person the next time. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner ...I do put the mail back in my mail box...and marked it..delivered to wrong address.  She/he frowned on my writing on the mail.

Respected Contributor

@ Montana wrote:

I just put the occasional misdelivered mail in the mail slot for pickup.  All my own outgoing mail is picked up that way too. 

The unsolvable mail problem I’ve had is when my address is correct but the addressee is someone who does not live at my home.  I was instructed by the post office to write “addressee unknown” on the envelope  and return to them.  I did that and they just redelivered it to me again.  

ETA: My mistake, it was “Not At This Address” as cited to be written on the front.

Same thing used to happen to me.  Most of my wrong mail is bc something else gets folded into those free community papers and usually in the grocery store papers on Wednesday.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  Our neighborhood has had a serious problem with mail delivery for quite a while.  Whoever does the sorting is either not very good at the job or does not care.  Complaints to our local postmaster have not helped; in fact, getting to see the postmaster is almost impossible.

If the mail delivered to my home is for one of my neighbors, I just put it in their mailbox.  If it goes across town, I put it back in my box with Wrong Address on the envelope.  My neighbor goes out of her way to stop the mail person and give them the mail back.

My main problem is not receiving my mail.  I finally had to contact my congressman's office and they solved the problem, at least for now.

My personal opinion is that we have too many people who do not care to do a good job and a supervisor who will not take care of business.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs , I thought thats what we were suppose to do. How are we to let them know that they delivered to wrong address?

Thats what I do. If the mail lady doesn't like it, she needs to try harder to get the mail to the correct address. 

Trusted Contributor

I got tired of delivering my neighbors' mail a long time ago, and started writing the same thing on the envelope.  My carrier told me the same thing.

Too bad!  I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fact that they don't want people seeing that their mail has been misdelivered.  

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"