Honored Contributor

Re: You local postal carrier?

@Havarti ...you are correct, he/she does not want others to know...at least that is m thought.   My mail was delivered to my neighber on the west side, I received my neighbor's mail on the other side...probably went down the street.  Yesterday, it was mail on the other street, we both had the same street number address...different streets.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2DogsI wasn't doubting that you're right-  your mail carrier fits right into one of my favorite theories about why the modern world is filled with so many irritants:  it's not the policies of the companies/departments, etc. - it's the lack of attention to the details by a particular worker at a particular time.

I wish I could tell you I'm surprised, but I'm not and that's a whole other story!

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   My mail carrier is a great guy.  I can always tell when there's been a sub because, either the mail is very late, or I get a neighbor's mail.  Since I live in a condo, I just walk it over to the neighbor's box, and hope they would do the same for me.  Most of the wrong mail I get is junk that can be tossed, but I have gotten a neighbor's prescription medicines, and a SS check once!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

After about two years of terrible mail delivery service, we finally found out our post office is a training facility for the other post offices...so we get rookies....mail was being delivered at 8 pm many days....you really never knew...recently we are beginning to get our mail between 4-5 pm...still later than I prefer....but better than 8pm. Since we live on a small cul de sac of 8 houses....everyone just puts the mail in the right box since we rarely don’t get at least one piece of someone else’s mail...we also seem to have several different mail carriers each week. Fortunately,  our neighbors are honest and don’t mind just passing on mail to its rightful owner. We have all called the postmaster, etc and gone up through the ranks....no results so we just handle it ourselves.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  It's been years since I have received mail for someone else. But when I have, I would either walk it over to a neighbor's home OR look up the person's name and write their correct address on the envelope, place it back in the mailbox and know it would be picked up by my carrier the following day. 

From the sounds of some posters, our City has excellent carriers! We've always been very fortunate with our delivery service and have appreciated them.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

We live on a rural drive route. We occasionally get mail for a home with the same numerical address, but is much further north than our home. I never write anything on them  I just put them back in our mailbox and put up the Red Flag,  indicating there is mail to be picked up. Never had that same mail redelivered again.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

Every so often I get pieces of mail that do not belong to me. If it’s for a neighbor I simply hand it to them. If it isn’t I write wrong address on it & place in the mailbox.

Respected Contributor

I have a good local carrier but sometimes there are substitutes and thus the issues begin. If the mail belongs to one of my neighbors I will just put it in their box but it started happening too often so I would just put it back in the mailbox with the red flag lifted. If the wrong mail is put in my PO box then I write return to sender.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think what the carrier did was rather nasty.  I mean how are you supposed to know to not write on the envelope?!  

No one should open mail that isn't theirs let alone throw it away!

Valued Contributor

This happened all of the time in our neighborhood.  Finally I spoke to Post Master and they spoke to the sub. who was mixing things up.  Calling the Post Master has fixed the problem.  If the mail person gets too many complaints they move them out or they fire them.