Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: You local postal carrier?

@ Montana wrote:

In my area, the mail is presorted for the post person. It is in a bundle that is delivered without the individual pieces being checked. If I get a neighbor’s mail, I don’t blame it on the carrier. I blame it on the people who did the sorting.

This is the case in our neighborhood too. Carrier delivers presorted mail bundles and isn't given enough time while doing the route to check individual pieces. 

We used to get huge amounts of misdelivered mail but that seems to have abated. Maybe they have more conscientious employees sorting. 

I would always circle the address and write "Misdelivered" on the envelope. Was never told to do otherwise. 

Trusted Contributor

I have a different mail carrier every day.

Our route is assigned to the first mail carrier back from their dedicated route.

We call it the punishment route and feel lucky if we get any mail.

Honored Contributor

We have cluster mailboxes.  If I get the wrong mail, I just put in back in the outgoing mail slot.

Esteemed Contributor

@tampalady wrote:

This happened all of the time in our neighborhood.  Finally I spoke to Post Master and they spoke to the sub. who was mixing things up.  Calling the Post Master has fixed the problem.  If the mail person gets too many complaints they move them out or they fire them.

Not mine. 

Oh no. 

They promoted this woman who delivered mail without checking the address.

She would have her boyfriend handling mail as he walked the route with her.

She'd babysit while working, and have the kids put the mail in the mailboxes.

She'd have her headset on and be in phone arguments while paying no attention to who got what mail.

Eventually they promoted her. Shes a supervisor now, and after years, I finally have a great letter carrier again.

Esteemed Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl wrote:

I have a different mail carrier every day.

Our route is assigned to the first mail carrier back from their dedicated route.

We call it the punishment route and feel lucky if we get any mail.

Understand this!!!

I went through a long stretch where our area was not assigned. I was told it was taken care of at the end of the "regular" routes.

Various people filled in, but no one wanted to do it, and as a result no one cared how well they did, they wouldn't be back the next day.

Respected Contributor

My experience has been that all mail carriers are different. Some better than others. Some care, some don't. How some of them even get hired in the first place is beyond me.

I had a fantastic, caring mail carrier a few years ago. He truly cared about his route and looked out for everyone.

Where I live now, our regular carrier is great, but when she is on vacation or off for a few days, our mail delivery is usually a nightmare. Different carriers every day at different times.

She was on vacation a couple weeks ago. I was expecting a package. I was following the tracking online. Turns out, the substitute delivered the package to another address not even close to mine. When my regular carrier came back from her time off, I reported it to her. She immediately called her supervisor, and between the two of them, they went out of their way to locate my package and deliver it to me.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I get a my neighbors mail delivered to me roughly 2-3 times a month....so I write on the envelope....wrong address.  Today, the mail carrier left a sticky note telling me  do write on the mail!  Wonder if this is a 'law' or that she does not want the neighbor (s)  to know that she delivers to the wrong address on a consistent basis?

@Mom2Dogs  Yes.  They now prefer you just drop it in the out going mail slot....or if you just have a mailbox, put it in with the out going mail. Do not write on it.

Respected Contributor

Like all service providers some are excellent and some should be replaced. I really am glad at the Holidays they shifted our carriers to different routes. I  would get stacks of mail for my neighbors every month. I did not receive post card reminders from the dentist. She would drop off a box and leave not checking if my flag was up. She used to do this to the point I kept track over 15 times. What got me is I asked where my paper was and she lied and said she did not get papers that day. It is a small town weekly. I was ready to go into the PO and make a complaint. I heard her new route was already complaining.

Those notes would be a point. It is a lack of attention and or hurry. The subs were better at delivery than the regular one I had. Some people on the boards have mentioned their carrier got terminated but I would think probably difficult.

Respected Contributor

Thank you, @lolakimono !

Honored Contributor

OP, simply make a visit to your local PO and report your carrier to the postmaster general. Whenever I have had an issue with my carrier I would have a nice talk with her boss and usually fixes the problem instantly. 

"Pure Michigan"