Honored Contributor

You can take the country out of the girl...

...my sisters, brother and I were all raised in the country, mostly by our hardworking grandmother, but our mother was there usually at night and somewhat on the weekends because she worked away from home, as hard but had to spend more hours away.  I remember most about living the farmlife, having chickens, hogs, horses, cows, fishing lakes, farming fishbait and trying to stay away from snakes who ate our chickens, their eggs and would surprise you very frequently for the scare of your life.

...but my rather sophisticated sister who attended modeling school and married "well," has forgotten all her country days.

...Funny story, speaking of chickens.  She bought her grandchildren some little chickens for Easter.  It was about to rain and they wanted to bring the chickens inside.  She told them they could not do that lest they poop in her 7-figure home (yes, she would definitely deserve to be on a housewives show).  They asked her what will the chickens do if it rains on them.  She recollects that we did not let the chickens come into Grandma's house but she forgot that we had huge chicken houses with roosts and lights for heat.  She told the grandchildren she was sure they would be okay because we never let them in when she lived in the country.

...They drowned and now her grandchildren hate her.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: You can take the country out of the girl...

Well not so funny after all.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

And this is job security for child psychiatrists.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

yikes.

Esteemed Contributor

that's a horrible story

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Puppy Lips 

Maybe not funny, but odd.  Odd that she would forget all her past because she is now an indulged woman.  I think it happens to a lot of people who leave their past behind.  

Respected Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Puppy Lips 

Maybe not funny, but odd.  Odd that she would forget all her past because she is now an indulged woman.  I think it happens to a lot of people who leave their past behind.  

You shamed your sister, good for you but make sure she reads this thread so she knows exactly who you are.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had to think a minute about what my grandma did with her baby chicks, as she didn't have a chicken house. But alas, she did have a big shed where they would go with shelves and hen houses built into the walls. She and my grandpa had two large catalpa trees in the front yard. Each tree had a little ladder on the ground underneath it. I spent many sweet nights on the front porch with my granny watching her chickens climb those ladders to roost up in the trees.

I think its sad your sister didn't think any more about those baby chickens than that.

Just one more irresponsible person with an animal they didn't need. Who leaves a baby animal outside when its gonna rain anyway, unless we are talking about livestock. 

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday  I have never heard of baby chickens drowning when it rains.  confused.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

It's kind of a weird story.  I would think most people remember their past as it should still be part of who they are.  I don't get it and sadly those children will always be scarred about it.