Honored Contributor

Re: You Tell People Your Age; They Think You Want Them To Reveal Theirs...

@qualitygal 

You are too kind.  Thank you for the lovely compliment.Smiley Happy

If you want to see me previrus, my full makeup pics are in the beginning of the "Outfit Of The Day" thread.

Valued Contributor

I’m private by nature and only share my personal feelings on controversial subjects with those I know and trust.

I really work to find common ground, if possible, with anyone I meet along the way. Sometimes that requires polite silence; however, I will never be silent if someone says truly offensive things about any group whether it relates to their religion, race, sexual orientation or country of origin. To be silent in that case is giving tacit approval or agreeement. No way. However, I don’t debate the point. Just say, “I couldn’t disagree with you more” and then move on.

As for age I have no problem with people knowing I’m 73 but I would never ask anyone else such a personal question. Actually, I think a lot of people put out their age because they are fishing for compliments. My mother in law used to say that people have a special mirror they use just for themselves and the reflection they see is always ten years younger!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

People ask me my age.  I have worn sunscreen everyday since in my 30's and always a hat at the beach.

How rude of them. That is definitely crossing boundaries.  Do you encourage the question?? In all my years, no one has ever asked me my age that is a stranger.

Trusted Contributor

@kaydee50 Smiley Very Happy I don't tell others my religion, politics etc. all at once, but I do in the conversations as they organically develop, let them know who I am. Yes, I am blessed with very good friends.

-Solar

Trusted Contributor

@BlueFinch YES! Good for you. This is what I mean about being up front. I would say -- yes I was a hippie, but a very "clean" one! Smiley Wink

-Solar

Trusted Contributor

@CalminHeart Thank you for your thoughtful reply!

Your name CalmInTheHeart is well-chosen, I think.

-Solar Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Hi, Everyone!

Thanks for replying with your thoughts.

I don't just recite a list of what I am, what I believe in, for whom I voted, etc. But DURING CONVERSATIONS I DO REPSOND WITH WHAT I BELIEVE. This happens organically.

I don't bully them, but quietly state how I feel. Or I stop others from raking another woman over the coals -- and often behind their back.

My main thing is that I will no longer mention my age, because of others perceiving that I am fishing for theirs, or fishing for a compliment. Smiley Very Happy

-Solar

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

People ask me my age.  I have worn sunscreen everyday since in my 30's and always a hat at the beach.

How rude of them. That is definitely crossing boundaries.  Do you encourage the question?? In all my years, no one has ever asked me my age that is a stranger.

I've never had anyone ask me my age either @Trinity11 .

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

Sometimes people do tell you their age, fishing to find out your own. It's a thing. They're not always just trying to be up front and open about themselves.

I recently had a chat with a male neighbor friend who during conversation said -- "I can't really tell how old you are, I'm,"--- he said 60 something, I don't even remember. He had a pause after his comment, but I just ignored it. He's not the first to do this type of thing.

Of course people know if you're retired, you've got some mileage, but do they need to know how much?  No. My doctor and the small family I have left know. That's enough. 

It's sad we can't be openly proud of every year, ready to share. But, society judges us by our age instead of our behaviors, actions and contributions.

I have a good younger friend who said one day, "It's going to be a greater place, when all the old hippie's die." Yes, we're still friends, but trust me, he learned some hard lessons from me that day. I was livid. 

@BlueFinch 

Wow 😮.  Good for you!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 I have different kinds of friends, but most of those are from long ago, but I find that the times being the way they are now, some do not feel that they can be close to those who don't have the same religious belief as they (especially in the south), or who have a different idealogical political point of view.

Peace, 

Solar Smiley Happy